Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Candy without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/10/10 01:53 PM

A) A heavy wooden container for pounding boiled cassava (maniok) to make fufu, a staple food in Congo. Perp: BranShea---- Voted for by: zmjezhd and olly

B) Wagiman (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogiman) An endangered language, about to be lost, as the younger generation of the Wagiman people do not speak or even understand it. Perp: found in http://www.onelook.com/
but also its own dictionary of * Wagiman Language and of course reference in Wikipedia.

C) Anglicized version of an Australian aboriginal expression for "one who goes walkabout." Perp: AnnaStophic ---- Voted for by: Owlbow and Faldage

D) n. The person designated as cook on a group outing to a remote location. Perp: Jackie ---- Voted for by: BranShea and AnnaStrophic

E) Wagiman: A child who is consistently truant from school. Perp: olly

F) WAGIMAN (n.) VAHG-ee-mahn
A multi-colored glass flask, often decorated with amber, usually for carrying vodka. A shortened form of Wagimaniewka – a flask from the Wagi region of Poland. Perp: Coffeebean---- Voted for by: Jackie and LukeJavan8

G) Wagiman - the largest of a subspecies of manatee found only in the waters of Indonesia, west of New Guinea. Perp: LukeJavan8 ---- Voted for by: wofahulicodoc

H) The supreme being of the Huli tribe of Papua New Guinea. Perp: Faldage

I) Noun. A self-righteous person who's condescending attitudes towards others are based on the influence of "mob rule" rather than independent thought and free choice. Refers to the "wagging" of the finger in an accusatory fashion. Perp: Rod F.

J) Wagiman: a fertility fetish of the Tunica tribe in Mississippi. Perp: zmjezhd ---- Voted for by: Coffeebean

K) ...a rudimentary Northern European pedestrian or hikers' shelter. Perp: wofahulicodoc ---- Voted for by: twosleepy and Buffalo Shrdlu

L) WAGIMAN, n. A wandering traveler, a vagrant, a vagabond. Perp: twosleepy ---- Voted for by: Avy

*Wagiman dictionary.

http://www1.aiatsis.gov.au/exhibitions/e_access/digital/a339234/home.html

Wagiman is an Australian Aboriginal language spoken in Australia's Northern Territory. On this web site you will find an online dictionary of Wagiman, as well as some general information about the language and its speakers, three texts, and some links and references to more material on Wagiman and other Australian Aboriginal languages

Foreign Language Online
http://www.yourdictionary.com/languages.html

Abstract: Wagiman is an Australian Aboriginal language spoken in the Top End of the Northern Territory. It possesses an unusual open class of words which are here termed “coverbs”. Most frequently, coverbs are paired with an inflecting verb from a closed class to form a complex predicate: the coverb and inflecting verb jointly determine the verbal semantics and argument structure of the clause. This book provides a descriptive and analytical account of the behaviour of coverbs in Wagiman, especially their role in complex predicate formation. The aim is to discover what principles are at work in directing and constraining this process, and how the meaning of the whole is derived from the meanings of the parts. After discussing a wide range of relevant data from the language, a formal analysis is outlined within Lexical Functional Grammar. It is argued that to account for the intricacy of Wagiman complex predicates, it is necessary for the grammar to make explicit reference to representations of lexical meaning, and it is proposed that complex predicate formation can be seen as the fusion of these semantic representations.

This book is available from Amazon.com.

Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagiman_language

Wagiman (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogeman) is a near-extinct indigenous Australian language spoken by fewer than 10 people[1] in and aroundPine Creek, in the Katherine Region of the Northern Territory.
The Wagiman language is notable within linguistics for its complex system of verbal morphology, which remains under-investigated, its possession of a cross-linguistically rare part of speech called a coverb, its complex predicates and for its ability to productively verbalise coverbs.
Wagiman is expected to become extinct within the first half of the century, as the youngest generation of Wagiman people speak no Wagiman at all, and understand very little

Ethnologue...Languages of the World
http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=waq

Endangered languages

473 of the languages listed in the Ethnologue are classified as nearly extinct. They are classified in this way when "only a few elderly speakers are still living."

ethnologue 16th edition (languages of the world)

M. Paul Lewis

Looks like a couple of you were swayed by the Australian connection but guessed wrong with 'C'.
No-one picked the real meaning, it went under raider, which is what I was aiming for.
Some very persuasive definitions were suggested, an even field I think.

Congratulations to all the players, on some well thought out daffynitions. I hope yo'all enjoyed this round. And thanks to the random voters too.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/10/10 03:20 PM
Thanks, Candy! Great word that stumped everyone, but good faux meanings proffered. Looks like a big tie! :0)
Really very well done, Candy, thanks for the
word and the fun. It is surely a highlight of
this site.
Posted By: Faldage Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/10/10 04:20 PM
Originally Posted By: Candy

No-one picked the real meaning, it went under raider, which is what I was aiming for.

Is this an eggcorn?
Posted By: BranShea Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/10/10 04:22 PM
Applause! I did hesitate over this, but this: (also spelled Wageman, Wakiman, Wogiman) made me think "no, this is too obviously a joke". And then it wasn't. Very nice! It's been a while since the real def. wasn't found out. Thanks!
Posted By: Owlbow Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/10/10 07:30 PM
Great game, this.
Thanks all, esp. Candy.

Peace, Owly
Posted By: Candy Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/11/10 06:00 AM
Thanks guys......I'm beaming now.

I really like the cover picture on the book, Ethnologue, Languages of the World.

Only thing I didn't like, about being Hogmaster, was not being able to join in the discussion, I'm looking forward to producing something in the next round.

Make it soon, someone please.......

'eggcorn'........could be, LOL
Posted By: Faldage Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/11/10 02:11 PM

'eggcorn'........could be, LOL

Well, let's look into it. What does "under raider" mean?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/11/10 02:13 PM
What does "under raider" mean?

I thought it was an eggcorn for "under the radar".
Posted By: olly Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/11/10 10:45 PM
It Deep ends on your point of you.
Posted By: Faldage Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/11/10 11:39 PM
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
What does "under raider" mean?

I thought it was an eggcorn for "under the radar".

So do I. I was just trying to get Candy's rationale for it.
Posted By: Jackie Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/12/10 02:11 AM
It Deep ends on your point of you. HA!

Thanks, Candy, for a great round! And thank you, my millions of voters...wait, there were only two? Well, thanks, you-all! grin
Posted By: Candy Re: eggcorn - 11/12/10 10:54 AM
Well I live 'down under' in Australia...did you notice?
and 'under the raider' means going unnoticed
I had to be careful with my entry, especially as there was already an Australian reference
So.....I presented WAGIMAN truthfully but in an unpretentious way
hoping to avoid discovery.
Posted By: Faldage Re: eggcorn - 11/12/10 01:25 PM
Well I live 'down under' in Australia...did you notice? and 'under the raider' means going unnoticed

That's what it means, but what is the function of the word "raider" in that phrase?
Posted By: zmjezhd Re: eggcorn - 11/12/10 01:33 PM
Well I live 'down under' in Australia...did you notice?
and 'under the raider' means going unnoticed

Well, up over here in the States, we have a phrase "under the radar" (as in "flying under the radar") which means to escape detection. Speaking of Oz, there was an Australian movie called Under the Radar (link).
Posted By: Faldage Re: eggcorn - 11/12/10 01:44 PM
I'm trying to find out what Candy thinks the word "raider" is doing in there, Nunc. One of the defining factors of an eggcorn is that it makes some sense to the person who uses it. Like Will Ferrell's "mind-bottling" in Talladega Nights, which he explains as when a bunch of thoughts get bottled up in your mind and nothing can get out.
Posted By: crash Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/12/10 04:42 PM
Originally Posted By: olly
It Deep ends on your point of you.

point of ewe, too.
What did the blind, old buck say to his doe?

I have no eye deer.
Posted By: Jackie Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/13/10 03:52 AM
GRRRRRRROAN! laugh
Posted By: tsuwm Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/13/10 08:39 AM
I have just one question, Candy - are those your eyes, or did you swipe them, under the raider?
-d'ohboy
Posted By: Avy Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/13/10 10:56 AM
Unfortunately Candy is not me in disguise or otherwise. I would not have minded those eyes swiped or owned. I would not have minded her confidence either not to mention her superb intelligence that graps things instantly. Otoh I yam what I yam - a quivering mass of self doubting bravado, but it takes all sorts to make a traffic jam. There is place in the world for all of us : smart, not, beautiful, not, rich, not, etc. etc.
Posted By: Candy Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/14/10 12:06 AM
LOL....but back to the subject.

There is a great war movie (2002) based on the true story of the Native American language of the Navajo being used to talk in 'code' sending and receiving messages 'under the radar' from behind the enemy lines in Japan. Its worth checking out if you haven't seen it.

Windtalkers
Posted By: Faldage Re: without further ado....WAGIMAN results - 11/14/10 02:56 AM
The code itself wasn't all that breakable. It was words like eagle for a bomber and hawk for a fighter plane. It was the fact that it was all being done in Navajo, one of the few Indian languages that German linguists hadn't studied. When they did the spelling they'd do things like A for able but they'd translate able into Navajo and come up with something like liit'asho (not a real example).
© Wordsmith.org