Wordsmith.org
Posted By: hogmaster underfong definitions - 04/10/10 09:55 PM
choose one (as always, submitted without comment but with the necessary normalization, just to keep things.. normal):

a) an organ stop which produces a low, somewhat diffuse tone, intended to invoke mystery and/or trepidation [fr. OHG unter, under, and fong, fog]

b) a layer of protective material worn under battle armor

c) a very scanty garment, worn under boxer shorts for support

d) to take in hand; to ensnare; to sustain [fr. G. fangen, to seize]

e) the belly side of a sea anemone

f) to remove the canine teeth from a German fox in order to keep it as a pet

g) the lowest strut on the chassis of an 18th century British two-horse carriage

h) a thick Mongolian blanket made of felt

i) the ancient language of the Fung people of the Blue Nile region in the Sudan

j) (chiefly Aus.) an orthotic device for casual footwear

k) an undergarment usually worn under the creations of fashion designer Fong Leng, successful designer of baroque outfits since the 1970-80's
Posted By: belMarduk Re: underfong definitions - 04/10/10 10:31 PM
This is a toughy…

I’m eliminating B, C, K, and J because they all have to do with wearing something “under”, even the orthotic is worn under the foot. Too evident.

F and I are a little sketchy, I mean, even if you remove the canine teeth off of a fox, it won’t tame him, you’ll just get bites with gaps. And why would the Fung people have a Fong language. Sketchy!

So, if we choose to believe that there is a reason for the “under”, A, E, and G could be the ones to go with.

But, if we choose to believe that it is not really “under” but some other pronunciation, like un-derfong or und-erfong, then D or H are the ones we should choose from.

Hmmmmmm. Let me think about this.
Posted By: twosleepy Re: underfong definitions - 04/11/10 01:02 AM
D
Posted By: belMarduk Re: underfong definitions - 04/11/10 08:19 PM
Are you sure twosleepy? Care to elaborate on your thinking? I can't make up my mind.
Posted By: BranShea Re: underfong definitions - 04/11/10 11:00 PM
(as always, submitted without comment but with the necessary normalization, just to keep things.. normal): smile
Good to see you bawdy bel; what's the difference between commenting and normalizing? I always respected your insight in matters so I'll choose
E - I never knew a sea anemone has a belly side. But then there is more I don't know.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: underfong definitions - 04/11/10 11:17 PM
normalizing is the *attempt to make the definitions look sort of like they all came out of the same source, with regards to capitalization, punctuation, italics, etc. commenting is making pointed remarks about the efficacy of a certain definition; e.g., adding parenthetically "not that that's bloody likely" : )
-joe (well, that's the way I liked to run the game) friday
Posted By: beck123 Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 01:09 AM
I say "B," and I have no idea why.
Posted By: olly Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 02:35 AM
J Mate
Posted By: Faldage Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 10:20 AM
What the H.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 01:04 PM
I want to pick A, but no, I'll go with G.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 02:59 PM

E i e i o
Posted By: belMarduk Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 07:15 PM
Bien bonjour, BranShea. It has been a while, eh!

I'm afraid my insight when it comes to Hogwash may not be worth the keyboard it's typed on; everything always sounds plausible.

I'm thinking of closing my eyes, and simply pointing on the choices...though my Hubby will be all a-tizzy because I put my finger on the laptop screen (apparently, that is a sin just this side of murder or coveting your neighbour's chicken or some such) it'll give me pretty much the same result as if I guess.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: underfong definitions - 04/12/10 07:28 PM
E, I'm going with E.

Off to find those screen wipe thingies before anybody notices the fingerprints on my computer screen. La, la, la.
Posted By: BranShea Re: underfong definitions - 04/13/10 06:28 PM
Originally Posted By: belMarduk
Bien bonjour, BranShea. It has been a while, eh!
I'm thinking of closing my eyes, and simply pointing on the choices...
I should have done that too and I might have come up with a better choice.
grin
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: underfong definitions - 04/14/10 05:05 AM
D-lighted to see the hog getting washed again. Will be D-sappointed if the "under" actually just means under.
Posted By: hogmaster Re: underfong definitions - 04/14/10 10:03 PM
the polls will remain open 'til Saturday (the usual sennight), although we'll be lucky to snag Fr Steve's vote by then. (parenthetically, observers should feel free to vote too - hey, etaoin did!)
Posted By: Faldage Re: underfong definitions - 04/14/10 10:44 PM
Not that we'd know that eta (AKA Buffy) was but an observer.
Posted By: hogmaster Re: underfong definitions - 04/14/10 11:41 PM
Originally Posted By: Faldage
Not that we'd know that eta (AKA Buffy) was but an observer.

I was afraid that listing the entrants this time would provide too much information to the veterans of the game. I now think that I was probably wrong in this regard. anyway, my last post pretty much told the tale.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: underfong definitions - 04/16/10 05:37 PM
Many creative entries, as usual! I couldn't participate this time--something was holding me back (will explain later). I kinda like G.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: underfong definitions - 04/18/10 05:44 AM
The Humble Vicar casts one vote for G.
© Wordsmith.org