Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Umber desideratum - 04/05/10 07:05 AM
Hi. In the UK we pronounce Desideratum as de-zid-uh-rah-tuhm. I trust my phonetics are correct.
Posted By: Faldage Re: desideratum - 04/05/10 10:36 AM
That's the way I pronounce it, too, and I'm an USn. Well, with emphasis on the RAH. But maybe that's what he meant by RAA. Welcome the the monkey house.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: desideratum - 04/05/10 03:11 PM

I like bananas too.

That is the way we pronounce it as well here in the Great Plains.

Welcome.
Posted By: BranShea Re: desideratum - 04/05/10 07:53 PM
In the delta, we say daisy-day-ráh-tuhm.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: desideratum - 04/05/10 08:08 PM
Small marshlands?
A locale?
Posted By: kah454 Re: desideratum - 04/05/10 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Umber
Hi. In the UK we pronounce Desideratum as de-zid-uh-rah-tuhm. I trust my phonetics are correct.

We pronounce it the same way on Long Island, accent on the rah. Although some folks on the north shore who speak with teeth clenched might add a soft accent on the zid as well.
Posted By: sarahutch Re: desideratum - 04/06/10 01:28 PM
Desiderata is a poem by Max Ehrmann (1872-1945), a Terre Haute poet/lawyer, which begins "Go placidly amid the noise and haste" and goes on to list the ingredients most desirable in a well-lived life. It is sometimes wrongly attributed to "found in Old St. Paul's church, Baltimore", and was set to music during the 1970s.
Posted By: BranShea Re: desideratum - 04/06/10 03:49 PM
Welcome sarahutch. Here's your poem I went looking for after reading your post.
Desiderata
Apparently sometimes a bit of good advice comes in the form of a poem. Thank you.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: desideratum - 04/06/10 04:39 PM
And here is one of the songs listed in YouTube as mentioned
above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-hGKruOYQ&feature=fvst
Posted By: kah454 Re: desideratum - 04/06/10 06:12 PM
Originally Posted By: sarahutch
Desiderata is a poem by Max Ehrmann (1872-1945), a Terre Haute poet/lawyer, which begins "Go placidly amid the noise and haste" and goes on to list the ingredients most desirable in a well-lived life. It is sometimes wrongly attributed to "found in Old St. Paul's church, Baltimore", and was set to music during the 1970s.

Welcome this is a great poem. Still have a framed copy of it.
Posted By: Faldage Re: desideratum - 04/07/10 03:03 AM
Followed shortly by this masterpiece, also not found in an old Baltimore church.
© Wordsmith.org