Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie Crash Blossoms - 10/27/09 02:50 AM
I found a great blog; it tells about funny headlines. I can't post a link because it has ads, but if anybody wants it, send me a PM. I'll filch some bits of it:
Confusion Caused by Crash Blossoms

Now there’s a name for the phenomenon of ambiguously or bizarrely worded headlines: “crash blossoms,” as suggested by a poster ...

...grisly humor (“Lawmen from Mexico Barbecue Guests,” “Lucky Man Sees Pals Die”), physical impossibilities (“Genetic Engineering Splits Scientists,” “Milk Drinkers Turn to Powder”), logical absurdities (“War Dims Hopes for Peace”), inadvertent racism (“Greeks Fine Hookers”), unknowing sleaziness (“Prostitutes Appeal to Pope,” “Pastor Aghast at First Lady Sex Position”), ew-provoking nastiness (“Child’s Stool Great for Use in Garden”), and innovative adventures in law enforcement (“Juvenile Court to Try Shooting Defendant,” “Drunk Gets Nine Months in Violin Case”).

The funniest (to me) one listed is from a comment; however, I'm putting it in the Too Good to be True Dep't.:
Years ago, a woman from Fertile, Minnesota was turning left at an intersection in the town of Climax, Minnesota. Tragically, as she made the turn, another vehicle struck hers and she died at the scene. This tragedy was immortalized to all of Minnesota by the headline…FERTILE WOMAN DIES IN CLIMAX
Posted By: Faldage Re: Crash Blossoms - 10/27/09 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Jackie

...grisly humor (“Lawmen from Mexico Barbecue Guests,” “Lucky Man Sees Pals Die”),

I'm having some trouble trying to figure out what the non-grisly reading of these ones is.

Meanwhile, here's where it all started. More about it here at Language Log. And nary an ad in sight.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Crash Blossoms - 10/27/09 12:17 PM
the Lawmen from Mexico were guests at a barbecue.

and maybe the Man is from a town called Lucky? or he's lucky because he didn't die in the same accident that killed his pals? neither very happy, I'll grant you.

that's all I got.
Posted By: LukeJavan8 Re: Crash Blossoms - 10/27/09 04:48 PM
Some very funny, thanks.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Crash Blossoms - 10/27/09 10:22 PM
Originally Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu
the Lawmen from Mexico were guests at a barbecue.

and maybe the Man is from a town called Lucky? or he's lucky because he didn't die in the same accident that killed his pals? neither very happy, I'll grant you.

that's all I got.

Yeah. Thanks, Buffy.
Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Crash Blossoms - tangent - 10/28/09 01:06 AM
On my own tangent...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?referrerid=109801&t=603219

My personal favourite, being that it's cricket-related:

"the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willie"
Posted By: Jackie Re: Crash Blossoms - tangent - 10/28/09 01:48 AM
Doc--I'm surprised at you! wink It's nice to see your fonts, though, to borrow a phrase from Anna.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Crash Blossoms - tangent - 10/28/09 03:32 PM
Local ones:
*Gay Marriage brings Clinton and Dole together.
*Man arrested after drowning. ( most of them lose their point when translated.)
© Wordsmith.org