Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm dictionary entries - 04/11/08 05:55 PM
this post actually is inspired by all of the various Hogwash® entires I've seen, and then taking a closer look at various online dictionary styles. that is, definitions are given variously as:
a) A phrase with capitalization and punctuation. (OED, AHD)
b) a phrase, not capitalized, but punctuated. (compact Oxford, Cambridge)
c) a phrase with neither caps nor punctuation (M-W)

two questions then:
1) do you favor a particular style?
2) in the past, I've tried to "normalize" entries, generally by using c) for all; do you think this matters, or is a waste of energy? (i.e., should they all be left as submitted?)

-joe (stylin' and profilin') friday
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: dictionary entries - 04/11/08 06:47 PM
I think the idea of normalizing entries is a good one, for the obvious reason -- yet I know it's a royal pain. HTH.
Posted By: Jackie Re: dictionary entries - 04/11/08 08:40 PM
But, but--wouldn't that negate some peoples' creativity? Since (obviously) dictionaries do it differently, I feel like ours should be, too. But I'll go with majority rule.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 03:14 AM
Nah, diverse is best
Posted By: Faldage Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 12:40 PM
I have a little trouble seeing how having a capitalaization and punctuation style sheet could negate anyone's creativity. Personally I find some offered definitions so far beyond the pale of dictionary style as to make me reject them entirely, but I suppose one could pull a definition off of, say, Urban Dictionary and have a legitimate yet very poorly formed definition as a result.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 01:28 PM
We've also had misspellings in previous games -- a dead giveaway if there ever was one. Maybe we can resolve this by leaving the choice up to each individual Hogmaster/mistress.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 02:30 PM
Urban Dictionary and... legitimate

hmmm.. must be some standard of legitimacy with which I'm unfamiliar.

-joe (I suppose one shouldn't) friday
Posted By: Faldage Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 06:16 PM
Well, I wouldn't accept a definition from UD that had 3 thumbs up and 746 thumbs down.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dictionary entries - 04/12/08 11:50 PM
Part of the fun is seeing 'obviously' fake definitions, especially when they are witticisms framed to give people a laugh rather than aimed at winning the round. Perhaps hogmasters could suggest spelling corrections to submitters, but I don't see why everything should have to sound as though it came out of OED or Webster. I say leave them as untouched as possible, with Common Sense as the final arbiter.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: dictionary entries - 04/13/08 01:40 AM
I agree - part of the deception can be in trying to make a real definition look so homespun that it couldn't possibly be the real one, now could it...

Spelling and grammar ought to be accurate and consistent, particularly if you want to sound Authentic. Internal consistency is all that should be required, though.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dictionary entries - 04/13/08 03:52 AM
>I agree - part of the deception can be in trying to make a real definition look so homespun that it couldn't possibly be the real one, now could it...

if you're saying the moderator can partake of deception, with the real definition (which is what this reeks of).. I totally disagree. the game is hard enough without that, and I don't think the hogmaster should be making special efforts to "win".
Posted By: Faldage Re: dictionary entries - 04/13/08 12:12 PM
A) I don't see how having a capitalization and punctuation style sheet could possibly serve any purpose given that we don't know what dictionary the real definiton is taken from.

2) I definitely agree that the real definition should be taken verbatim from the source.
Posted By: BranShea Re: dictionary entries - 04/13/08 02:43 PM
 Quote:
Could be worth a try, just to see.

My computer seems to wanna retire too. But maybe it's Windows urging me to go legal.The system hangs on its last thread. So maybe I will or not - see the entries. In whichever way as long as it takes.
Posted By: Faldage Re: dictionary entries - 04/13/08 07:11 PM
Get GNU/Linux
Posted By: BranShea Re: dictionary entries - 04/14/08 10:04 AM
If I were any way near being 'technical' I would , but my all savant nephew advises a new computer to replace the nine your old, with a legal vista system. Adapting again to some new ways.
Posted By: Faldage Re: dictionary entries - 04/14/08 10:35 AM
I have a great link to a two minute tutorial on installing Vista.

Vista install in 2 minutes!
Posted By: BranShea Re: dictionary entries - 04/14/08 08:27 PM
Thanks , will talk it over with the 'system manager'.
Posted By: The Pook Re: dictionary entries - 04/15/08 12:12 AM
 Originally Posted By: BranShea
 Quote:
Could be worth a try, just to see.

My computer seems to wanna retire too. But maybe it's Windows urging me to go legal.The system hangs on its last thread. So maybe I will or not - see the entries. In whichever way as long as it takes.

\:D hee hee. You'd better hope Bill Gates is not monitoring this conversation. Big Brother is everywhere, remember!
Posted By: tsuwm Re: dictionary entries - 04/16/08 06:48 PM
now that I've had a few days to stew about this, take pronunciation markings.. please.

I can never remember which dictionary uses which convention (i.e., stress marked before or after syllable) and usually have to look up a word I know to figure it out for the particular instance, since I can't remember how to find the p. guide for each online dictionary.

(this is why I decided to use CAPS for stress in my lexicon -- this seems intuitively obvious to me)

-ron o.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: dictionary entries - 04/17/08 01:09 PM
Works for me.
© Wordsmith.org