Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington Puggle plugs: - 01/27/07 04:55 PM
A. The concentrated syrup of flavorings used as a base for soft drinks.

B. a newborn wild pig in the remotest part of Africa

C. A big, comical and loveable, clumsy bear-god of the Funafuti Islanders, who is malevolent and mudereous when crossed. He is both a teddy bear and a boogey bear to the Funafuti children who are well behaved.

D. the stiff cardboard disk inside some screw-on bottle-caps, inserted by the manufacturer to provide a good seal, and used by children to play games with. C.f. pog

E. Baby platypus or echidna

F. To falsely frown or pout to receive sympathetic attention.

G. Scots. v., walk slowly through wet heather.

H. The flap on a saddle that lies under the stirrup strap.

I. A new hybrid dog breed, half pug and half poodle; c.f. labradoodle.

J. An inveterate landlubber.

K. a woman to take home for a snuggle just before closing time and the lights come on.

L. To remove air from clay by compression

M. The characteristic rapid, short amplitude, up and down action of a truffle hound’s snout when it has located a truffle. Dogs are preferred by the serious truffle hunter due to their more delicate puggle as opposed to the more violent rooting of the truffle hog.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc le saddle, le bridle, le puggle - 01/27/07 07:17 PM
I'll break the ice with an H
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: le saddle, le bridle, le puggle - 01/27/07 07:19 PM
What the L, why not?
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/27/07 09:29 PM
I like G -- it's so evocative.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/27/07 09:52 PM
So we don't get to know who the perps were?

Ah, well. If so, sobeit.

Just because I like it, OK?
Posted By: Jackie Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/27/07 10:18 PM
F for me.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 02:52 AM
Gimme a D!
Posted By: themilum Re: le saddle, le bridle, le puggle, - 01/28/07 11:25 AM
le " M".

If this Universe is a fit place for conceptualizing humans and articulating pigs then the answer is M .

It couldn't be otherwise.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 02:10 PM
E. Baby platypus or echidna
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 02:29 PM
Quote:

K

ahem...
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 03:09 PM
What delightful definitions! I'll take I
Posted By: Marianna Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 08:13 PM
I think I too.
Posted By: musick Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 08:48 PM
I like D, so I'll vote for it.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/28/07 10:07 PM
I like L.

...and absolutely hate everything " I " stands for...yuck, yuck, yuck...there are NO labradoodles or cockapoos - only mutts! Mutts I tell you!

Ooops. Sorry. Pet peeve rant happening there.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/29/07 01:43 PM
"Pet" peeve rant--groooo-aannnnn!
Posted By: olly Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 03:18 AM
Can I play?
F
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 12:29 PM
Quote:

I like L.

...and absolutely hate everything " I " stands for...yuck, yuck, yuck...there are NO labradoodles or cockapoos - only mutts! Mutts I tell you!

Ooops. Sorry. Pet peeve rant happening there.

Ever heard of the Jack Russel/Shih Tzu cross? It's called a Jacksh*t.
What gets me is people who say "he's a Lab-collie-Australian shephed-chihuahua cross". Sorry, after two breeds, it's not a cross, it's a mutt. When people ask what our dog is, we say "purebred mutt".
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 01:36 PM
Olly:

Yes, of course. This IS an open board and our games are open to everyone. There seems to be a reluctance on the part of new people to join in. Wish that weren't so.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 01:57 PM
I like H, but I'm going to L.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 02:44 PM
J
I get seasick when I sail on my friend Capt. Ben's charter boat. I like the word better than the ones he calls me when I'm at the rail.
Posted By: TEd Remington The perps are: - 01/30/07 05:45 PM
Submissions were from:

AnnaStrophic
Consuelo
Elizabeth Creith
Faldage
Jackie
Marianna
Musick
Owlbow
ParkinT
Sparteye
Themilum
Wofahulicodoc

And I forgot to include my usual spoiler definition, which would have been:

The bulbous curve part of a wooden cam used in making jigs.
Posted By: olly Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 07:04 PM
I should have read the manual before playing the game eh?
I knew it couldn't have been that easy!
Next time.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/30/07 08:01 PM
Oh, we don't know the results yet, Olly. We just know now who submitted the fake definitions. His Hogmastery will post the correct answer, and link the perps to their daffynitions, at a later date of his choosing.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/31/07 02:08 AM
...and of course we all left out the obvious red herring:

a PUGGLE is a male who doesn't do magic

(I leave to your imaginations what is a female who doesn't do magic - many of you have already encountered that word, I suspect)
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/31/07 12:43 PM
Quote:

...and of course we all left out the obvious red herring:

a PUGGLE is a male who doesn't do magic

(I leave to your imaginations what is a female who doesn't do magic - many of you have already encountered that word, I suspect)

A female who doesn't do magic??
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/31/07 01:06 PM
Ha! Maybe only in Rowling's imagination...
Posted By: Aramis Re: Puggle plugs: - 01/31/07 08:29 PM
When did this one sneak in? This term sounds undignified enough to fit the I definition but what in the ____ [swearing self-serve] is 'c.f.'? Weeding out the obvious fakes leaves J.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc daffylatin - 01/31/07 09:02 PM
C.f. is an abbreviation, intended to mean "compare." Cf. "cf."
Posted By: tsuwm Re: daffylatin - 01/31/07 09:40 PM
yes, cf. is abbr. for Latin confer, compare; c.f. is.. I don't know; center field? cystic fibrosis??
Posted By: Father Steve Re: daffylatin - 02/01/07 12:59 AM
I'll take D ... despite the dangling preposition.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: daffylatin - 02/01/07 01:22 AM
Quote:

Now, now Fr. Steve. Such tut-tutting is unbecoming, and is something up with which I shall not put.
Posted By: Faldage Re: daffylatin - 02/01/07 02:56 AM
Quote:

Are you sure it's not the particle of a phrasal verb?
Posted By: consuelo Re: daffylatin - 02/01/07 09:38 AM
Well, I thought I knew what I was going to vote for, but then two or three more caught my fancy, so I'm in a fizzy.
Posted By: shanks Hmmm.... - 02/01/07 01:46 PM
I
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Hmmm.... - 02/01/07 03:08 PM
I too vote "I."
Posted By: tsuwm a supplementary quiz - 02/01/07 04:12 PM
TEd, I think all of your submitters have voted but for ParkinT, but I'm going to go ahead with this because there's something rotten in the state of hogwashington.

so, puggle; choose one:
a) a crossbreed between a pug and a beagle
b) chiefly dialect : to clear out or stir up by poking
c) a baby Echidna or Platypus
d) all of the above
e) none of the above

hint: it's not e)
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/01/07 06:11 PM
tsuwm:

May I be the first to say I don't understand the reason for your post? I intended to give a full seven days for this segment of the round, but now it appears there will be only five.

The answer I had in mind is a baby echidna or playpus, a word I ran across when my daughter asked me if echidnas really did lay eggs. Most people got fooled by one or another of the daffynitions, the details can be gleaned from the above.

My heart isn't into counting, but I suspect that Elizabeth Creith's definition of getting air out of clay fooled drew more votes. Or possibly I, which is ASp's contribution.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/01/07 06:28 PM
TEd, many people were fooled by the dog entry, which if it was an intentional twist on the *actual dog crossbreed called a puggle was really stretching the spirit of our game. OTOH, I think only Milo voted for M, but that def'n also closely relates to yet another actual definition of puggle given by M-W unabr. two of these "coincidences" in one round just struck me as.. extremely odd.

I also noticed a site which claimed puggle is not a proper name for a platypus of any stripe. [edit: it's the top hit]
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/01/07 07:44 PM
1. I had no idea that there was any definition of puggle other than the echidna one at the time I started this round. I also freely admit that I didn't bother to check.

2. Puggle according to the citation you provided can mean a pug crossed with a beagle. Both Betsy's submission and the original from Connie suggested a cross between a pug and a poodle. Since I hade no idea this was so close to a "real" world I accepted Betsy's and asked Connie to submit another, telling her that I had in hand a definition too close to hers but not whether the defintion in hand was the real or a fake one.

3. Themilum submitted (and voted for) M, which I think is quite far away from the definition in your WWFTD column, which I did not know of prior to your pointing it out to me in a PM.

4. I've learned my lesson, though. I'll leave the hogwash game to the experts. I think this is the first time a hogmaster has been publicly admonished about the round even before the round was over. I didn't like the feeling.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/02/07 01:24 AM
:: holds TEd's hand ::

:: pats TEd's hand ::

There, there.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/02/07 01:31 AM
I voted for "l" then looked it up in the OED online, but had I known the hogmaster's reaction would be as it has been, I would have refrained from sending the PM that I did.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/02/07 12:54 PM
Quote:

TEd, many people were fooled by the dog entry, which if it was an intentional twist on the *actual dog crossbreed called a puggle was really stretching the spirit of our game.

It was the first thing that entered my mind. No twist. Just a guess. My only sin was that pesky extra . in cf.
Posted By: Jackie Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/02/07 01:55 PM
[total confusion e]--but no matter. I would like to know who submitted k, though.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a supplementary quiz - 02/02/07 02:11 PM
okay, this is just for clarification -- I have no wish to otherwise generate further acrimony.

my reaction was mainly in regard to definitions that looked as though they had been derived from homonyms! (quite different from the armil phenomenon, in my estimation.)

if this doesn't resonate with anyone else, I'll just slink away now with head lowered.
Posted By: Aramis Re: Resonant Acrimony - 02/02/07 07:55 PM
Well that was the tipoff that two of them were fake. Or maybe that was confer fromage?
© Wordsmith.org