Wordsmith.org
Quote:

"Plutoed" voted US word of year
BBC 1/8/07

"Plutoed" has been chosen as word of the year for 2006 by the American Dialect Society, beating "climate canary" in a run-off vote.

If you have been "plutoed" you have been demoted or devalued, just as happened to the former planet Pluto when its status was downgraded.

A "climate canary" is something whose poor health indicates a looming environmental catastrophe.

This is the 17th time ADS members have voted to choose a word of the year.

"It was good that the society focused on a genuine scientific concern, though I believe the nomination came in from outer space," said committee chairman Professor Wayne Glowka.

The General Assembly of the International Astronomical Union decided last year that Pluto did not meet its definition of a planet and would be categorised as a dwarf planet.

Other words in the running were:

flog - an advertisement disguised as a blog or web log
prohibited liquids - "fluids that cannot be transported by passengers on airplanes"
macaca - "an American citizen treated as an alien" Macaca is considered by some to be a racial slur.

Members of the 117-year-old ADS include academics, writers, editors and linguists.

The society says its vote is for fun only and they do not act in any official capacity of introducing words into the English language.

Unlike tsuwm.
Doncha just love it when the first time you hear of something is when it's selected as the Most Something Or Other of the Year?
> it's selected as the Most Something Or Other of the Year?

yeah, I hadn't heard this one, either.
According to the dictionary beeing planetized is not done yet (at least it is not yet in the books). So no one or nothing can be easily Plutoed. You can be Platonized or be a Planetoid if you like .(Outer space comment),(illegal alien post)
And what is it called when you get punched by the Disney character, Pluto? Plutoed? Plutonated? Plutonized?
I was once in a Plutonic relationship. She was cold and very remote.
Quote:

I was once in a Plutonic relationship. She was cold and very remote.

Whereas if a woman were to say the same, it might be because "he was smaller, and less impressive than I first thought."
Free Jill Scott Album
Ads by Google

who is Jill Scott and why is she confined?!

(and what's it to do with dog pounds?)
TedRemington. Who was it had any complaints about your puns?
BranShea:

There's one or two who grumble that my plays on words aren't all puns, or is it that some of my puns aren't all plays on words. I don't pay no nevermind to them. I learned a long time ago that arguing with some of these people is like tryin' to teach a pig to sing. Waste of time and annoys the hell outta the pig.
If that's singing I'll stick with the community chorus.

I count myself fortunate that about half the time I don't even realize that TEd has committed a pun and the othe half, if it's long and involved enough, I recognize in time to move on.
Quote:

BranShea:

There's one or two who grumble that my plays on words aren't all puns, or is it that some of my puns aren't all plays on words. I don't pay no nevermind to them. I learned a long time ago that arguing with some of these people is like tryin' to teach a pig to sing. Waste of time and annoys the hell outta the pig.

Ted: My father always said, "To those who understand, no explanation is necessary. To those who do not understand, no explanation is possible".
I appreciate a good pun and am known for being the author of many (verbally). We are simply a Mis-punderstood lot, eh?
Quote:

We are simply a Mis-punderstood lot, eh?

And yet, you wonder why?
Posted By: musick Cold and remote - 01/15/07 05:16 PM
This thread longs for something doggy-style.
Posted By: BranShea Re: cynosure - 01/29/07 07:48 PM
You mean this musick?

cynosure (SY-nuh-shoor) noun

1. One who is the center of attraction or interest.

2. One serving for guidance or direction.

[Originally the term was applied to the constellation Ursa Minor or the
North Star (Polaris) that was used in navigation. The term is derived from
Latin Cynosura (Ursa Minor), from Greek kynosoura (dog's tail), ultimately
from the Indo-European root kwon- (dog) that is also the source of canine,
chenille (from French chenille: caterpillar, literally, little dog), cynic,
kennel, canary, hound, dachshund, and corgi.]
Posted By: musick Gimme that remote - 01/29/07 08:36 PM
A bit *shaggier, please.
Posted By: BranShea Re: Gimme that remote - 01/30/07 10:58 AM
Gee! Looks like you've got hair enough to write some 'shaggy' yourself.
© Wordsmith.org