Wordsmith.org
ONAPPO:

a) an extremely potent retsina wine from northern Greece

b) a North American Algonquin Indian ceremony also known as a Spirit or Vision Quest

c) someone to be avoided: Ornery, Nasty, And Pretty Pissed Off

d) a Sephardic Hanukkah dish, similar to latkes but made with rice instead of potatoes

e) engaged to be married (Irish slang)

f) a musk hog, until 1975 known only to Paraguayan Indians; pictured here. (The GUARANI language has only UPPER CASE.)

g) ventriloquist monkey (from South America)

h) former trade name for an Australian sticky sweet, now generic for any messy candy eaten/demanded by children

i) Original Natural Alliance for Perpetual Precipitation in Orlando

j) spawning salmon (Ojibway) [pre-edit i]

k) a large rodent of Central America [pre-edit j]

-- submissions by AnnaStrophic, consuelo, Elizabeth Creith, Faldage, GallantTed, musick, ParkinT, TEd Remington, Shanks, themilulm, and Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary
So if I vote for i I get two chances???
Posted By: wofahulicodoc ONAPPO voting - 12/26/06 04:37 PM
That's what I thought originally, naturally. Perpetually. But I see I was precipitous. Thanks, TEd
I say " G ".

And I don't have to explain why because it's my birthday and I can say whatever I please.

39 candles burning bright.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc by any other name - 12/26/06 04:49 PM
You can't explain Y anyhow, unless a whole lot of someones send in a bunch of additional daffynitions...

Edit: Oh, excuse me - my oversight. Happy Birthday, and many happy returns!)
Posted By: musick Re: by any other name - 12/26/06 06:05 PM
I like "D", and parbably would like the flavor, as well.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: by any other name - 12/26/06 07:47 PM
que sera sera. And I will not change my vote!
Posted By: wofahulicodoc there stands a man of principle - 12/26/06 08:18 PM
A Heisenberg vote! I'm uncertain which answer it applies to. I think I'll let it sit in its box until the very last minute, and then take j-u-u-s-t a peek...

Edit: No, you dummy, that's a Schroedinger vote! (Harumph.)
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 12:32 AM
I'll go for K.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 01:17 AM
Quote:

A Heisenberg vote! I'm uncertain which answer it applies to. I think I'll let it sit in its box until the very last minute, and then take j-u-u-s-t a peek...

Perhaps the joke doesn't translate well.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 02:12 AM
I'm thinking J - but that's just me.
Posted By: Jackie Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 03:06 AM
SHANKS was here??????? Oh, joy, joy, joy, and rejoice!!!

Ravi, how've you been, love?
Posted By: themilum Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 03:33 AM
Really jackie, we are having an important Hogwash here. Honey; if you've got a vote to cast then go ahead and cast it, otherwise, as the ASP might say, you and Shanks should just go and get a room.
Posted By: themilum Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 03:41 AM
Uh Hogmaster, I think that maybe TEd is being subtle again.

"que sera sera. And I will not change my vote!"

I think that TEd has cast his vote for "B" no matter what "B" might "B".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 04:06 AM
>que sera sera.

I thought for sure that TEd (being TEd) was voting for k.
Posted By: themilum Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 04:21 AM
You know your problem, tsuwm?
I'll tell you your problem.
You pronounce "que" like a "K", like the french.
Posted By: Faldage Re: there stands a man of principle - 12/27/06 11:40 AM
'Scuse me, Milo. Being how as you've voted, maybe you should move along. Get you your own room. I'm sure tsuwm will be along shortly. You just wait patiently for him.

Now, having got rid of that, I'll B.

And that's ASp, thank you very much, not ASP
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ONAPPO - 12/27/06 01:07 PM
Acronyms and upper cases aside, I vote for J (spawning salmon, in case there's any confusion).
Posted By: wofahulicodoc How To Ruin A Joke Completely... - 12/27/06 02:26 PM
...especially when it was only mediocre at best to begin with.

Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps the joke doesn't translate well.

...Certainly not when the salient feature of it is wrong. I meant to say "A Schroedinger vote!"

(See? I told you it wasn't much of a joke.)
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: How To Ruin A Joke Completely... - 12/27/06 03:12 PM
what the "H".
G, what a tough choice.
My favorite is I, but just for a laugh; it rains a lot in Central Florida.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc the IG wans to know... - 12/28/06 05:19 PM
So is that a vote for I or for G, asked the Inspector General?
Posted By: ParkinT Re: the IG wans to know... - 12/28/06 05:28 PM
Quote:

Does it matter?
Points are all that matters; and "the points don't matter".
Posted By: musick Mind over - 12/28/06 05:31 PM
The points don't matter. Yes, kinda like the clothing in Victoria's Secret catalogs.
Was there an entry filter? Anyway A. will follow the Canadienne lovely to K (Y2K).
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: the IG wans to know... - 12/28/06 09:19 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Does it matter?
Points are all that matters; and "the points don't matter".

Well, no, the points don't matter, but the authors like to know whether their carefully-crafted efforts have snookered anybody...

...so did you want to vote for I or G, or should I pick for you? (you can vote for the answer you think is the right definition, or for the one you think is the cleverest/most outrageous, or for that matter completely at random if you like - that's your call)
Posted By: ParkinT Re: the IG wans to know... - 12/29/06 08:09 PM
Although my post was intended (primarily) as a pun, I regret that it caused confusion.
The option hereto known as "G", otherwise referenced as the seventh is hereby deemed my singular and most definite choice.

</lawyerspeak>
Posted By: consuelo Re: the IG wans to know... - 12/30/06 09:24 AM
I'll give A a whirl, get dizzy and fall down.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/30/06 02:16 PM
Quote:

...the option hereto known as "G", otherwise referenced as the seventh, is hereby deemed my singular and most definite choice.

</lawyerspeak>

Stipulated.

Any other voters in the holding pattern? You don't have to have submitted a daffynition to pick a favorite!
Posted By: themilum Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/30/06 03:11 PM
Whew! Sorry I'm late but I have been detained for a few days by the authorities. If you please, please register my belated but proud vote for "G" . I am told by people who know that it is a sure winner.
Posted By: pennyless Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/30/06 05:19 PM
F for me, if only for the creativity of the documentation. He's kinda cute.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/31/06 01:39 AM
Awww, he is kinda cute. I completely overlooked that definiton.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/31/06 02:00 AM
Last call for votes; polls close and results post tomorrow!
Posted By: Jackie Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/31/06 03:41 AM
I'll join Connie in a toast to A.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Gee, I'm glad to hear that! - 12/31/06 05:27 AM
OK, b then.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc ONAPPO revealed - 12/31/06 02:49 PM
I think that's everybody we're likely to hear from.

And now, the results you've all been waiting for [drum-roll]:

ONAPPO:

a) an extremely potent retsina wine from northern Greece
-- submitted by TEd Remington
-- chosen by consuelo, Jackie

b) a North American Algonquin Indian ceremony commonly known as a spirit or vision quest, later maintained by their descendants
-- submitted by musick
-- chosen by Faldage, tsuwm

c) someone to be avoided: Ornery, Nasty, And Pretty Pissed Off
-- submitted by consuelo
-- chosen by no one

d) a Sephardic Hanukkah dish similar to latkes, but made with rice instead of potatoes
-- submitted by AnnaStrophic
-- chosen by musick

e) engaged to be married (Irish slang) *
-- submitted by GallantTed
-- chosen by no one

f) a musk hog, until 1975 known only to Paraguayan Indians; pictured here. (The GUARANI language has only UPPER CASE.) **
-- submitted by themilum
-- chosen by pennyless, with an honorable mention by belMarduk

g) ventriloquist monkey (from South America)
-- Webster’s Unabridged Dictionary, 1913 edition; the correct answer
-- chosen by the(happybirthday)milum, ParkinT

h) former trade name for an Australian sticky sweet, now generic for any messy candy eaten/demanded by children
-- submitted by shanks
-- chosen by etaoin

i) Original Natural Alliance for Perpetual Precipitation in Orlando
-- submitted by ParkinT
-- chosen by TEd Remington (whether he knows it or not)

j) spawning salmon (Ojibway) [pre-edit i]
-- submitted by Elizabeth Creith
-- chosen by belMarduk, AnnaStrophic

k) a large rodent of Central America [pre-edit j]
-- submitted by Faldage
-- chosen by Elizabeth Creith, Aramis11

============================================

* (re: e)
A note of explanation from GallantTed:

“Howya --

We had a little chat about this one beyont in Slasher's jint and we all concored umnaniously that it's defanately somethin ta do with been engaged ta be marrayed. Eg - someone might say "Did ya hear that Miss So n So has got herself onappo-ed ta a fierce lovly fella alltagather!"

Cos ya know when yer in the loo - or is it the john ye do be callen it - it's sed ta be engaged. And when ya first go ta the loo as a young fella, it'a on a potty, which is also called a po - so yer onappo, ie - on a po.

Now at this stage, I'm not too sure where the exter P comes in, but I'd like ta strenthen me case by pinten out that when ya get proposed ta, ya usually say "yes" and onappo backwards reads oppano ie - opp a no, ie - opposed ta no, ie - yes.

So in conclusion, onappo means ta be engaged ta be marrayed.”

** (re:f)
I think the picture is really a Chacoan peccary. (Confirmation, milo?) D’ya think maybe he looks a bit like a kiwi bird? No, I guess not; the head's too big.

============================================

Last Hogwash of 2006 ! Apologies to anyone I've slighted by clerical error, and thanks to everyone for your fancies, your thoughts, your comments, even your cavils and your snickers, but above all your smiles. And a happy, healthy, safe, and prosperous New Year to all (with emphasis on healthy) !
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: ONAPPO revealed - 12/31/06 03:06 PM
I protest. que sera sera -- Whatever will be, will be. I voted for B, as themilum correctly pointed out! Musick gets another point for reeling me in.
Posted By: musick Re: ONAPPO revealed - 12/31/06 06:55 PM
I should parbably only get 1/2 the points as the actual submission was...

a North American Algonquin Indian ceremony commonly known as a spirit or vision quest later maintained by their descendants in the Cheyenne tribe. (something like that)

... and I'll bet that would've turned one of you's away.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: ONAPPO revealed - 12/31/06 07:56 PM
Well, mebbe, but I didn't think the Cheyenne were descendants of the Algonquin, so in the interests of promoting Maximum Snookery I exercised HM's License and left that part out. (With the desired result, apparently, I might add.)
Posted By: musick In support of maximum snookery - 12/31/06 10:07 PM
I appreciate all of the help I can get... even if I do enough research to make sure that all of my dominoes are aligned.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc I stand corrected - 12/31/06 10:30 PM
Oops! You mean as in

The Cheyenne Tribe

"The Cheyenne were an Algonquin woods tribe from Minnesota and Manitoba. The name "Cheyenne" came from the Lakota meaning "red talkers." The Cheyenne call themselves people who are related to each other, also known as the "Cut Arms" probably because of sun dance scars.

"In the 17th century, they were centered in the valley of the Minnesota River. Then pressure from another Algonquin tribe forced them to Eastern North Dakota. They were hunters and fishers, the women gathered berries, and they lived in wigwams that they built from birch branches..."

Umm. And here I thought the Algonquin were confined to the northern Adirondacks and environs. I stand corrected.
Posted By: themilum Re: I stand corrected - 12/31/06 11:34 PM
Musick, I remember back seven days ago when hogmaster wofahulicodoc stood for finer things than being corrected. He adjusted my definition to click on here rather than post my more heavy handed link ONPENPPO that I had hoped would reel in the more knee-jerk players among us.

So instead of fooling the usual three slow minded automatons that play Hogwash and can usually be counted on for easy votes, I only suceeded in seducing 1 and 1/2 high moxie chicks.

But the Hogmaster is right...Hogwash is a game of Honor.

Speaking of the Hogmaster, after looking at all the definitions I picked the correct one immediatly. Wofalihaulidoc is the only Hogmaster I know who would dare pose a "ventriloquist monkey".

Even now I don't know what is a "ventriloquist monkey".
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I stand confuséd - 12/31/06 11:40 PM

uh, Milo? those seem to *this slow minded automaton to be the same image linked to twice.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc enlightenment - for a Moderate Fee - 01/01/07 12:02 AM
...and prescient Ads-by-Google provides us both with a way of removing our uncertainties - without even being asked!

Native American DNA
Apache? Chippewa? Cree? Discover your genetic heritage.
www.dnatribes.com

Meanings of Words
Look up dictionary terms instantly! Free reference dictionary toolbar.
www.Starware.com/Reference
Posted By: themilum Re: I stand confuséd - 01/01/07 12:04 AM
Yes Joe, I know that the two images are the same.
I was referring to the name in purple that is known as the "link".

You see Joe, some among us might expect that by clicking on the letters ONAPPO they would get to see a picture of a ONAPPO.

Wofaliholidoc is a good man so he changed the clickable to... "picture here" so as to protect the slow-witted.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc HM License - 01/01/07 12:11 AM
Quote:

... he changed the clickable to... "picture here" so as to protect the slow-witted.

or, just possibly, to try to make it sound like a "real" dictionary definition and less like something constructed by an amateur, however talented...

But that's OK. Have it your way.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Thanks for a fun round, Dr Woofy! - 01/01/07 12:30 AM
Happy new year to all, and to all a good night.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: I stand confuséd - 01/01/07 12:47 AM
Quote:

Yes Joe, I know that the two images are the same.
I was referring to the name in purple that is known as the "link".

You see Joe, some among us might expect that by clicking on the letters ONAPPO they would get to see a picture of a ONAPPO.

Wofaliholidoc is a good man so he changed the clickable to... "picture here" so as to protect the slow-witted.

okay, but what the heck's "ONPENPPO" got to do with it??
Posted By: themilum Re: I stand confuséd - 01/01/07 01:10 AM
Quote:

okay, but what the heck's "ONPENPPO" got to do with it??

Well, you see joe, Uncle Milo made a little mistake in spelling.
Now we don't want embarrass Mister Milo in front of all of his admirers, now do we joe.

Good.
Posted By: musick I sit bemused - 01/02/07 07:32 PM
I ain't touching that with an 10 foot Arapaho.
Posted By: Alex Williams I'm sooo drunk! - 01/07/07 05:51 AM
I'm gonna drink a big glass or two of A and see if anyone wants to take advantage of me.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: I'm sooo drunk! - 01/08/07 12:23 PM
...and here I thought "retsina" was the active ingredient in an Italian breath mint... cf. "Retsyn"
Posted By: wofahulicodoc reference - 01/24/07 12:02 PM
P.S. Here's a dictionary entry that "explains" how the ventriloquist monkey got its name: Webster's 1913 Edition.

Not very detailed, I fear.
Posted By: ParkinT Re: reference - 02/02/07 12:21 PM
I find it interesting that it was "so named for the nature of its cry", yet the consonants "P" and "N" are the most difficult for a ventriloquist to master. (along with their cousin sounds of "B" and "M", respectively)
Posted By: Aramis Re: reference - 02/02/07 08:29 PM
Perhaps someone should have thrown in a fake definition of an organ grinder's dummy.
© Wordsmith.org