Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm irpe defined - 10/24/06 02:03 PM
choose one:

a) dial. eructation

b) [< Gaelic iar, air + pìob, pipe] the mouthpiece/filler tube on a set of bagpipes

c) (alt. irpee) derisive: a speaker of a nonstandard dialect of English spoken on the docks of Immingham, England . "RP" is a Received Pronunciation of English based on the speech of the English upper class. Until recently it was the standard form of English used in British broadcasting.

d) Irpe: Amture

e) From the Hebrew for "God heals", a miracle in which a person is cured of a disease or injury.

f) obs. a fantastic grimace, or contortion of the body

g) a footpath

h) A small scalloped or dagged flap on the shoulder of a tunic or jacket

i) To squint one's eyes.

j) the indentation on the face of the keys on a modern computer keyboard.

k) An identifying watermark on most extant medieval Spanish manuscripts

l) Brazilian for headwaters, from the local name for period of time in the year when prevailing winds allow sailing up the Amazon River towards the source.

m) An exclamation used in comic strips to signify stunned surprise, or speechlessness.

n) A comb used to clean freshly sheared wool.

o) An herbaceous perennial plant of the Agavaceae family, having broad leaves and white flowers, commonly employed as groundcover by gardeners in Northern Europe and Canada, owing to its hardiness in cold climates.

p) a small pendant, hung from an earring or bracelet

q) Scot. A drink before battle.

---

entries from Alex, ASp, Aramis, belMarduk, Bingly, Consuelo, ElizabethC, etaoin, Faldage, Fr Steve, Marianna, musick, Ted, themilum, wofa, & yrs truly

don't take any wooden def'ns..
Posted By: musick Re: irpe defined - 10/24/06 04:28 PM
I swear I've seen it used as in "m" before... the more I read "c" the more irped off I get.. .. I like "i"... I'm going with "n".
Posted By: Marianna Re: irpe defined - 10/24/06 06:01 PM
J , for sure.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: irpe defined - 10/24/06 08:32 PM
a cute
b clever
c way too long
d huh?
e nah...
f no way
g nuh-uh
h YES!
i never
j sounds older than that
k possibly
l may be indigenous
m seriously doubtful
n I don't think so
o convincing, but
p sweet
q nae wae!

Posted By: Faldage Re: irpe defined - 10/24/06 09:15 PM
Quote:

o convincing, but

O convinced me.
Posted By: themilum Re: irpe defined - 10/24/06 11:18 PM
Good list.

I think I could talk myself into voting for just about anyone of the seventeen definitions.

Hmmm...let me think...just which definition would Hogmaster tsuwm think slick enough to instigate this 76th round of Hogwash?

Hey, I know! I'll apply my keen knowledge of the human psyche and reduce the variables...yeah!

First out the correct definition must be one of the short ones. That's tsuwm's style when he writes anything...I think his keyboard shuts down when he types six words. Ha! The answer is either A, D, i, G, or Q.

Mmm. Wait a minute...he knows that we know this, so I'll just bet that this time he has constructed a long definition to trick us.

Ok, there are only three definitions over one line long; C, L, and O.
It is obvious that L and O were written by Consuello, ElizebethC, Belmarduk, Marianna, and the Asp. (although Consuello might have entered definition "F" on the side as she is the only person I know who would think a grimace "fantastic").

That leaves "C" to consider but as for me I'm voting for "i" because it is so simple, and yet creative.

I vote I.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 12:34 AM
>I think his keyboard shuts down when he types six words.

Milo, you are so full of sh....... <arrggghhhh>
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 01:11 AM
Whoever wrote (A) deserves (or needs) a pat on the back. (C), (L) and (O) are too long. (D) washes the hog with another dirty hog. As to (E), "irpe" just doesn't seem Hebrew to me. Medieval anything often indicates fakery, which rules out (K). (M) is just too silly. (B) and (Q) both harken to ancient British isles, armilizing each other. Of the remainders I have no idea, but I like the sound of (F), so it gets my vote, although I grimace at this because I consistently choose the wrong definition despite my best deductive efforts. Others, therefore, can reliably avoid (F) as it is probably not the real definition. But it still gets my vote.
Posted By: Bingley Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 01:41 PM
Probably a garden path rather than a footpath, but I'll still vote for G
Posted By: Aramis Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 07:52 PM
Well, was leaning toward f) until it was suggested that 'fantastic' is a bit of a stretch for describing a grimace. The l) one sounds too incredible to be fake, but o) is tempting yet too thorough not to be. A. will also hazard g).
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 11:11 PM
To B or not to B. To B. Tube. Pipe. Ergo, Pipe. Yes. Air go in pipe. I will vote for B.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: irpe defined - 10/25/06 11:56 PM
I like b, and n, but I'm going with J, because I always wondered if those had a name.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: irpe defined - 10/26/06 12:34 AM
I like H, N, and P.

<flip-of-coin -e>

...ever the middle-of-the-roader, I'll take N
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: irpe defined - 10/26/06 11:05 AM
What the h - I'll go for j
Posted By: themilum Re: irpe defined - 10/26/06 05:02 PM
Quote:

I like H, N, and P.

<flip-of-coin -e>

...ever the middle-of-the-roader, I'll take N

Sorry, Wolf, like Charlie Chan oft time said..."middle-of-roader oft time run over by drunk."

You are too late, the letter "N" has already been taken.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Thank you for that insight! - 10/27/06 01:26 AM
I never thought of it before - the letter N and blood pressure are similar in this fashion! (Almost like Sind...)
Posted By: themilum Re: Thank you for that insight! - 10/27/06 02:08 AM
Nice try, Wolfalcoholic, it takes a real trouper to "peccavi" (where's ted when there's a "peccavi" to pun?). But I'm afraid that "Sind" as well, has already been taken. Too bad.

Why don't you pick "C", no one has picked "C". Maybe the good Father Steve submitted "C" and we all know how easily the good preacher gets his feelings hurt.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: ad hominem attacks - 10/27/06 10:39 AM
Knock it off, Milo.
Posted By: themilum Re: ad hominem attacks - 10/27/06 10:53 AM
Quote:

Knock it off, Milo.

You'd best aqquire some appropriate manly manners, Miss Annastrophic.

"Ad hominem attack" Ha!

And why are complaining for Ad Hominen, does he not have a tongue?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: ad hominem attacks - 10/27/06 12:51 PM
Actually I submitted C and would be delighted if someone voted for it.

/not really
//then again, maybe
Posted By: Aramis Re: ad hominem [and the Empire] attacks - 10/27/06 06:35 PM
So certain are you? It is too long. Too long for the training. Nonstandard dialect, is it, mm? Vote for C, or I help you not.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: ad hominem [and the Empire] attacks - 10/28/06 07:59 PM
I say H
Posted By: wofahulicodoc ad hominem attacks - 10/29/06 12:37 AM
Hominey ads do we have that we need to consider them attacks? I only count two (at a time, anyhow) and they can be a source of great amusement, or sometimes even snickering...
Posted By: Father Steve Re: irpe defined - 10/30/06 06:08 AM
May I have P please?
Posted By: Faldage Re: irpe defined - 10/30/06 10:33 AM
Go right ahead. Take one.
Posted By: consuelo Re: irpe defined - 10/30/06 10:56 AM
I believe I'll have a nice Q with some fava beans...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: irpe defined - 10/30/06 01:29 PM
I think that's everyone, so it's on me now..
© Wordsmith.org