Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith trapped by TEd - 09/04/06 03:26 PM
...who got the most votes (4), despite Faldage's scepticism about scorps. Congrats to Faldage, milo and Fr. Steve, who caught the real definition.

a)The finely ground particulate added to natural gas to give it a recognizable odor.(musick, voted for by consuelo)

b)small curved blade for hollowing out the bowls of carved spoons (similar to scorp, used for carving chair seats, but smaller.)(TEd, voted for by Aramis, wofa, max, etaoin)

c)the name of an old magazine, since replaced by New Sweek. (ALso TEd, voted for by - ta-da - nobody..)

d)Chastity. cf swaik (Max, voted for by Alex, TEd)

e)sweek: us gang slang, to get lunch money from others by intimidation. Ex: song by rapper Q-bop-a-gurula - sweek the geek and drop the dime, toby bitch. (themilum, voted for by musick, bingley)

f) the moving stick in a bird trap (Oxford English Dictionary, voted for by Faldage, milo, Father Steve)

g)(onomatopoeia) the sound of certain species of bat whose cry is audible to humans. (Bingley, voted for by tsuwm)
Posted By: themilum Re: trapped by TEd - 09/04/06 04:59 PM
From CONSUE'S OFFICIAL RULES OF STANDARD HOGWASH

1. [points are] given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.
2. points are awarded to each player who chooses the true meaning.

The "tsuwm precedent" established that TWO points are awarded to those who guess the correct definition, and only ONE point is awarded for fooling each gullible voter.

Do the math

teD - four votes
Milo - five votes

I hereby declare myself the winner!
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Do you get ten for a decimal point? - 09/04/06 05:44 PM
Quote:

1. [points are] given to each player for every vote (or guess) his phony definition receives.

The "tsuwm precedent" established that TWO points are awarded to those who guess the correct definition, and only ONE point is awarded for fooling each gullible voter.

Do the math

teD - four votes
Milo - five votes

I hereby declare myself the winner!

"It's a nice point. I don't know that I've ever met it before...[The] difficulty is that at present there's no evidence before the Court that chorused Nature has interested herself in the matter..."

-- Iolanthe,, Act 1
Milo:

YOU do the math. I don't see how you come up with one plus one plus two equaling five.
Posted By: themilum Re: Do you get ten for a decimal point? - 09/04/06 08:40 PM
Quote:

Milo:

YOU do the math. I don't see how you come up with one plus one plus two equaling five.

Sometimes you get caught and sometimes you don't. You don't blame a girl for trying, do you? Isn't lying integral to the honored game of Hogwash.

I must say that it is an honor to stand beside a hogwasher of your particular bent. A toast to me and a tip of the hat to you, congratulations to the both of us.
Posted By: themilum Re: Do you get ten for a decimal point? - 09/04/06 09:02 PM
Quote:

"It's a nice point. I don't know that I've ever met it before...[The] difficulty is that at present there's no evidence before the Court that chorused Nature has interested herself in the matter..."

-- Iolanthe,, Act 1

Sure thing, wofahulicodoc, that's easy for you and chorused Nature to say, you two have won many awards and contests thoughout your lives. I've won one - a case of HiC Orange Aid on the Happy Hal Burns radio show because I was dressed as the best cowboy. I was six.
This is my moment. My chance to be an American Hogwash Idol.

Please don't muck up this moment with particulars.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Do you get ten for a decimal point? - 09/04/06 10:42 PM
say milum, have you nothing to say about the Fix being in, this time?! <<rhetorical interrobang symbol
Posted By: themilum Re: Do you get ten for a decimal point? - 09/05/06 02:30 AM
Quote:

say milum, have you nothing to say about the Fix being in, this time?! <<rhetorical interrobang symbol

Of course not, joe, who would cheat to fix a Hogwash game that led to me being declared the winner? Not me, I don't cheat, and although I can't speak for TEd who came in second, he doesn't either&! <<retorical indignant symbol
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: trapped by TEd - 09/06/06 11:06 AM
Quote:

"They're not so much rules as guidelines"
Mustrum Ridcully
Posted By: tsuwm Re: trapped by TEd - 09/06/06 04:06 PM
Quote:

Quote:

"They're not so much rules as guidelines"
Mustrum Ridcully

The "tsuwm precedent" was abandoned lo these many [AND IT SHOULD BE NOTED, IS NOT PART OF THE POSTED OFFICIALESE] -- that's why the rulz was amended to [points are] instead of stating specifically the numbers. (edited for emPHAsis)
-ron o.
Posted By: themilum Re: trapped by TEd - 09/07/06 11:22 PM
Ok, Elizabeth, I give up, tswum is right, you like Ted more than you like me.

I don't blame you. I am a loser. I've been a loser all my life. When all my friends graduated and went off to high school I kept working at my job at the Dolimite all-night self-service service station instead. I was a dreamer. None of my schemes ever worked out. I invented the dunk-proof donut and went broke. I wrote and recorded a sequel to Wilson Pickett's hit song "Mustang Sally". I called it "Mustang Sammy". It was a good song but no one liked it so I went broke. Huh!

But I never gave up.
Like right now.
Hey! I got a great idea for a game of new Hogwash! I call it Macho Hogwash and nobody can play but real men. No whining, no tip-toeing around brusied feelings, just a simple good ol' ass and donkey kicking like we use to have back before women decided that they were men.

Hey tsuwm! Remrmber the Hebrew word that was so filthy, so utterly vile and vulgar that it has only been spoken twice in the history of the World. The first time it was spoken by the Devil who fell dead on the spot. The next time the Devil II (who is our current devil) spoke the word and was immediately dispatched to a fiery Hell where he is today.

We need a word like that but worse.

Hot dog! O'boy! This is gonna be great! And if any of the chicks here try to insinuate themselves into the proceedings we'll report the infraction to Jackie who will come down and put then in their place forever.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: trapped by TEd - 09/08/06 11:58 AM
I'll have what Milo's having.
Posted By: themilum Re: trapped by TEd - 09/08/06 11:31 PM
Quote:

I'll have what Milo's having.

Good choice, Anna, what I'm having is a good time.
And, dear Ann, I hope that you are having a good time too.

Wait! Maybe this is Catch 22? Maybe our respective "good times" are mutually exclusive? Maybe you can't have a good time if you know that I'm having a good time too.

In that case what I'm having is the mumps.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: trapped by TEd - 09/09/06 11:51 AM
Well, if you must know, Mr Milo, what I'm having is a broken leg: thus my absence for the past few weeks. The pain meds were fun while they lasted, though.
Posted By: themilum Re: trapped by TEd - 09/09/06 04:54 PM
Quote:

Well, if you must know, Mr Milo, what I'm having is a broken leg: thus my absence for the past few weeks. The pain meds were fun while they lasted, though.

Anna, it pains me to empathize with your broken leg but I just spent five neverending days and nights confined to bed with a minor knee injury. Pain meds or not, I'd rather drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log, than not be able to dance when the mood strikes.

My sincere hope is that your recovery is quick and complete so I can stop being nice.

Get well soon.
Posted By: consuelo Re: trapped by TEd - 09/09/06 11:20 PM
What Elizabeth failed to mention was that my too-late entry was almost identical to TEd's, so I think I should get half of TEd's points
© Wordsmith.org