Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 11:00 AM
Here are the definitions for desman as submitted (with light editing) by our intrepid crew. Place your bets, remembering, of course, that looking it up before you place your wager is uncouth:

a. The area surrounding an ancestral manor occupied by those who rent cottages and land from the familial owner

b. special gouge used for faceplate turning on a wood lathe

c. European aquatic mole, found in Pyrenees and in Russia

d. an acronym for "DE406; Earth's Special Mars August Nexus" used by astronomers to refer to the August 27th opposition of Mars with Earth - the closest that Mars will approach Earth in about 60,000 years

e. (sl.)A blue collar worker from the steel industry, specifically from Pennsylvania, USA

f. a blithering idiot [after P. G. Wodehouse character Malcolm Desman]

g. industrial pressure roller to apply printed images to heavy backing in the manufacture of jigsaw puzzles. After Robert Desman, inventor

h. A litter used for local transport by important personages in the Ottoman empire

i. The bar connecting the treadle and crank of a spinning wheel

j. Canadian sagebrush

k. soft-soled slipper typically worn indoors
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 11:39 AM
(thanks for the light editing, TEd -- now I don't have to discard daffynitions out of hand)

Kudos to d for Most Original/Contrived. I also enjoyed a.

However, my vote goes to g , for what is obviously the correct answer.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 12:42 PM
heh, some great daffys.

I like g, too, but my vote goes to a.

though I really wanted to say b, I'm going with my gut.
Posted By: musick Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 05:46 PM
I
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 07:28 PM
B has me bowled over.
Posted By: Faldage Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/08/06 09:59 PM
Light editing my left toadstool! He edited mine completely beyond recognition. I mo hafta study these for a bit and get them in my subconcious. Might could even recognize which one is mine.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/09/06 12:13 AM
I'm going with my doppelganger, the lovely AnnaS, and choosing g
Posted By: Sparteye Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/09/06 01:16 AM
Well ... "a" is very close to demense, which means that it is either a correct variation, or inspired by the similarity. :: flips coin ::

OK. I'm saying that it is a fake.

How about ... :: flips coin again :: ... H.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/09/06 02:52 AM
well, b) looks suspiciously like a TEdRem special, which means one of three only* things:
1) desman is another real woodworking term chosen by TEd
B) b) is a real def'n for some other woodworking term submitted by TEd as a red herring
iii) someone else has submitted a woodworking def'n hoping to garner votes from those suspecting 1), as above

actually, I don't really like any of the other def'ns all that much either; but I shall return sometime before the deadline to cast a vote for the real one. [hi Milo!]

*I suppose there are other permutations and combinations here, but I didn't want to belabor my already weak, and pointless, point.
Posted By: Bingley Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/09/06 04:36 AM
I'm not really taken with any of them, but I'll plump for g.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/09/06 05:22 PM
F. Less well known, because he appears in the Blandings books rather than in the Jeeves and Wooster series.
Posted By: Faldage Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/11/06 10:45 AM
Boy, howdy. B could go either way. Either it was chosen by TEd, our master cabinet maker, or he supplied it himself as a wrong answer, thinking to catch us all.

D is just too convoluted and there is no justification for the D. Or the 406, for that matter.

The rest are all enticing but I connect with I.
Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/11/06 12:35 PM
I'll take I too.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/11/06 12:35 PM
c, d and e seem to all be voteless.
d is right out.
I'm bumfoozled to the c or e ...

edit:
c just sounds so pedestrian; but on fourth thought, I can't bring myself to vote for e.

but wait! what about k??

ok, I'm going into mole mode. (hi F'babe!)
Posted By: consuelo Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/12/06 02:51 PM
I'll give K a try. Damn! once again I missed coming here until it was too late to submit.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/13/06 08:16 AM
Quote:

F. Less well known, because he appears in the Blandings books rather than in the Jeeves and Wooster series.

Really? I ate up the entire Blandings series in my teens, and now physically resemble the Empress, but can't remember Desman.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/13/06 02:15 PM
OOOh! OOOh! Now we have TWO wodehouse aficionadoes, holding opposite views as to the existence of the character Desman. Nice one!
Posted By: themilum Re: desman -- the squeals begin - 08/13/06 05:42 PM
WAIT! (pant...pant..pant) I just returned from British Columbia this morning where I encountered fields and fields of blooming "desmans" in the flesh. I hope, I hope, I'm not too late...

So Pigmaster please, disregard my earlier submission of "G",
I now vote for "J" because I need the points.
Posted By: TEd Remington Deadline approaching - 08/13/06 08:58 PM
You guys have until Wed 9 AM Eastern time.

tsuwm, I cannot figure out whether you voted or not. Please confirm your vote.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Deadline approaching - 08/14/06 02:47 AM
>tsuwm, I cannot figure out whether you voted or not. Please confirm your vote.

you are exactly right.
Posted By: Alex Williams little piggy home from the market - 08/14/06 11:36 AM
I would just like to chime in here and say that I have found a great word (or so I hope) for the next round of Hogwash, and thus would like to call dibs on being the next Hogmaster.
Okay, but i also have a good word, and call dibs after Alex
Posted By: tsuwm Re: little piggy home from the market - 08/14/06 02:21 PM
good lord! I'll have forgotten my word (or used it elsewhere) by the time this queue works itself down..
-tsuwm
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: little piggy home from the market - 08/14/06 04:13 PM
Quote:

good lord! I'll have forgotten my word (or used it elsewhere) by the time this queue works itself down..
-tsuwm

But will you have forgotten to vote?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: little piggy home from the market - 08/15/06 12:43 PM
I think he voted for c.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: little piggy home from the market - 08/16/06 02:32 AM
>But will you have forgotten to vote?

I had the full-court stall on, waiting to see which didn't get voted for. and, in the event, j and k got selected but still no joy for (c or e).

so I guess I'm back to that choice, which is really no choice since I can't vote for e.

so, see eta's thought, above; c?
© Wordsmith.org