Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley Calling all scrubbers - 04/21/06 01:59 AM
Your word is hastilude. You have a sennight.

(for our newer members, see: http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.php?Number=149272&page=0)
Posted By: themilum Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/21/06 02:22 AM
Darn, Bingly, that was abrupt.

Would you mind using the word "hastilude" in a sentence to give us a hint?
Posted By: Bingley Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/21/06 02:27 AM
Hastilude is the current word in the AWAD hogwash competition.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/21/06 02:28 AM
Posted By: themilum Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/23/06 03:39 PM
Ok, I'm in. I've assured myself of two, maybe three, votes from the Hogwash ranks of timid voters who always cast votes for the shortest definition.

Besides, I know the real meaning of "hastilude". I use it daily in my dry cleaning business. I can only only hope that the current Hogmaster isn't a crook.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc one daffinition - 04/23/06 03:57 PM
... on its way.

(eding headited)
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/23/06 04:14 PM
Don't wait for me Bingley. I have to admit that my sheer lack of imagination when it comes to this word is staggering. Sheesh, can you get hogwash-block??
Posted By: Bingley Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/24/06 03:12 AM
The milum, if you sent me a definition I haven't received it.
Posted By: themilum Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/24/06 03:45 AM
Quote:

The milum, if you sent me a definition I haven't received it.

Dear Hogmaster Bingley,

This game has just begun and you have already blown my cover.
I had hoped to garner a few votes by subterfuge but you seem to have spoiled my plot.
Thanks a lot.
I will be back with you when I can scheme unmolested.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/24/06 07:18 PM
>I had hoped to garner a few votes by subterfuge but you seem to have spoiled my plot.

I'll have what he's having.
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 04:41 PM
Why do I keep wanting to read this as "haslitude"?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 06:46 PM
Why do I keep wanting to read this as "haslitude"?

I'd say the Devil made you do it.

Read this!
Posted By: Logwood Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 08:13 PM
Quote:

Darn, Bingly, that was abrupt.

Would you mind using the word "hastilude" in a sentence to give us a hint?

Quote:

Hastilude is the current word in the AWAD hogwash competition.

Either I'm having Déjà vu, or some things never change...

Whensoever will there be a word that I actually know? I'm quite familiar with the brand of outlandish words, but I still fall numb in every Hogwash!

*sighs and walks through the hoggin*
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 09:12 PM
>Whensoever will there be a word that I actually know?

I think, notwithstanding the non-self-effacement involved in stating this, that there is a stump the w.m. subtext underlying our games of hogwash®.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 10:13 PM
I just LOVE subtext. I especially liked Run Silent, Run Deep.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/25/06 11:48 PM
RSRD was far subordinate to Das Boot.
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 12:29 AM
I was once subordinate to a woman in boots. Cost me $250. Oh nevermind, wrong forum.

A daffynition shall be swimming your way soon.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 10:01 AM
I have submitted mine. I can't wait to see how mav rationalizes it as an Armil® and how many Armils-of-one™ he comes up with.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 10:13 AM
Quote:

>Whensoever will there be a word that I actually know?

I think, notwithstanding the non-self-effacement involved in stating this, that there is a stump the w.m. subtext underlying our games of hogwash®.

What means w.m. ?

I've submitted mine, too.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 10:47 AM
Word Master?
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 11:41 AM
Why would one want to know the real def. to the hogwash word? It takes the fun out of playing.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 01:01 PM
Quote:

>What means w.m. ?
Word Master?

that's wwftd master to you, bub!
Posted By: themilum Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 10:20 PM
"Your word is hastilude. You have a sennight."

Last call for all scubbers I think is tonight at midnight?

If I remember tsuwm's worthless word for the day on July 26, 2002, the word "sennight" means "six nights" which means "tonight". I think.

Go ahead and accuse me of gauche hastilude if you will but I was one of the first to send in my entry.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Patience, young Jedi - 04/26/06 11:28 PM
"sennight:
(n.) The space of seven nights and days; a week.

(This definition is from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary and may be outdated.)"
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Calling all scrubbers - 04/26/06 11:44 PM
a better device for remembering sennight is its derivation from "se'n(7) nights"
Posted By: wofahulicodoc a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 12:44 AM
Could have been worse. Don't the French call the same period a "huitaine," which ("huit" meaning "eight") sounds even longer?
Posted By: themilum Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 04:48 AM
Are you boys sure you are right? We already had a name for a "week". A week was called a "week". Calling a "week" a "sennight" is like finding another name for a "dozen dunkin' donuts".

What I think is that tsuwm's "worthless word" got "sennight" confused with "sextantnight" which was the one night of the week that the ancient Victorians engaged in carnal sex.

And wofahulicodoc is right too. A "huitaine" is eight days - the prescribed length of time between the wild sexual encounters of the wild Victorian French.

Hey! Maybe a "hastilude" is the lenght of time that the Victorian Inuits waited until...,you know, the days are a lot longer up at the North pole and so...

Maybe we should just go and ask Hogmaster Bingley.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 06:03 AM
>We already had a name for a "week".

actualment®, we had a name for 7 nights (and days) and "week" (seven days (and nights)) came along and archaicized it.
Posted By: Marianna Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 10:31 AM
Quote:

Could have been worse. Don't the French call the same period a "huitaine," which ("huit" meaning "eight") sounds even longer?

When we refer to a two-week period in Spanish, we say "fifteen days".
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 11:09 AM
Quote:

This is, may I assume, similar to the way the days were counted at the time of the crucifixion of Christ? He was crucified on a Friday, raised from the dead on Sunday, which is counted as the third day. Here in the West we would call Sunday the second day as it is the second day after Friday.

So the end of a two-week period in your terminology is the end of the 15th day including today?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 12:32 PM
Don't rely on us French folks to elucidate either, we also say quinze jours (15 days) for two weeks - it's very odd. Usually, it’s when people are talking about going on vacation. People work all day on the Friday, so it doesn’t make sense to count that day.

Mind you, we also call a quarter (a 25-cent coin) a “trente-sous” which means thirty cents, so I’ll just walk away in embarrassment now.

=======================================

TEd, does the bible say whether Jesus died in the morning? Maybe that’s why they say it is three days. If he died at night, then I’d definitely say two days later, not three.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 12:33 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, and the equivalent in French is "une quinzaine," with quinze meaning fifteen. The eight days or fifteen days refers to the period from Sunday to Sunday, [for example]; both the zeroth and the final day get counted, is my understanding.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 12:51 PM
Ooops, Wofa, we posted at the same time.

I don't understand your explanation of the quinzaine de jours (maybe I've not had enough coffee yet )

I understand that counting from the first Sunday to the last Sunday gives fifteen days, but why would we arbitrarily eliminate the Saturday. That explanation seems a good example of begging the question.

And if we count the actual number of days we are not at work, it is sixteen.
Posted By: Jackie Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 04:01 PM
How is se'en half of fort, anyway?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/27/06 05:07 PM
Quote:

How is se'en half of fort, anyway?

it's not; se'n nights is half of fo'rt' nights.

-ron 'vious
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: 15 days - 04/27/06 06:17 PM
And the equivalent in Port., FWIW, is quinzena. It's often used to refer to the first or second half of the month.
Posted By: maverick Re: deux quinzaine = lunacy - 04/27/06 10:25 PM
> I understand that counting from the first Sunday to the last Sunday gives fifteen days, but why would we arbitrarily eliminate the Saturday. That explanation seems a good example of begging the question.
And if we count the actual number of days we are not at work, it is sixteen.

But work periods as short as 5 days are a modern and arbitrary superimposition compared to the age of this language. '15 days' surely, as Alex describes, just takes any given day and takes until its third recurrence. It does seem a little odd to count the ground on which you're standing, but then we all had the benefit of modern maths instructione, two!
Posted By: Bingley Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/28/06 01:51 AM
Quote:

TEd, does the bible say whether Jesus died in the morning? Maybe that’s why they say it is three days. If he died at night, then I’d definitely say two days later, not three.

According to the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus died at around 3 pm. John doesn't give a specific time, but it was before sunset, since they broke the thieves' legs to finish them off before sunset, which was the start of the sabbath. They didn't need to break Jesus' legs because he was already dead.
Posted By: Faldage Re: a sennight is half a fortnight - 04/28/06 09:46 AM
It was even less than two days, as we count, since He was already risen bright and early in the morning, but they counted days differently back in those days. E.g., the Ides of April was on what we would call the 13th, but our 11th April was ante diem tertium idus Aprilis, the third day before the Ides of April.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: when Jesus died - 04/28/06 12:35 PM
Quote:

Quote:

According to the Synoptic Gospels (Matthew, Mark, and Luke), Jesus died at around 3 pm. John doesn't give a specific time, but it was before sunset, since they broke the thieves' legs to finish them off before sunset, which was the start of the sabbath. They didn't need to break Jesus' legs because he was already dead.

In Atlanta and other places where I've either sung a Passion or heard one, the conventional story is Jesus died at 1:10 pm. Whence this folk wisdom? Even given the time-zone difference, that's not enough time?!
© Wordsmith.org