Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belMarduk Fibliotheque - deux - 03/22/06 04:23 PM
Fibliotheque (briefly known as biblieoteque) -

Here are the basic rules again since this is so new.

The Fibliotechnician offers the title and a brief plot synopsis of some real novel. Contestants send in false first lines to the Fibliotechnician who then offers them to the players along with the real first line.

Submissions must be only one sentence long; can be arbitrarily complex if you wish.

Anyone can submit a sentence. Anyone can vote on the submissions whether or not they submitted one themselves.

Scoring is a work of art based on arbitrary standards and points are rarely tabulated though they are highly debated. See Hogwash rules for the recap.

EDIT: typo
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/22/06 04:29 PM
The novel is The Egg and I, by Betty Macdonald – copyright 1945

Betty’s new husband Bob has an epiphany and decides that it is his life’s calling to become a chicken farmer. In his epiphanial enthusiasm, Bob buys an abandoned farm in the wilds of Washington State, and proceeds to start a chicken ranch with all the knowledge and experience that city life has endowed him. I mean, how hard can it be?

The novel follows Betty’s experiences in this backwoods setting as she learns to deal with errant wildlife, even more errant neighbors and rustic, often non-existent amenities. Stove is not going to get the best of her! And Momma did say that a good wife should always support her husband.

===================================

Since we’re midweek, I’ll keep the submission window open till Saturday, April 1st. That’s a score less 9 days, a sennight plus 4 days or a fortnight less 3 days. After that, the jigs up.
Posted By: Kelly123 Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/22/06 05:49 PM
I hope I don't ruin anybody's first line, but I can't resist noting the correlation between the author and the plot.

Old Macdonald
Posted By: Sparteye Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/22/06 06:03 PM
It's too bad that her first name wasn't Henrietta.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/22/06 06:48 PM
The day Bob had an idea, Henrietta was cooking breakfast.

"I've had an idea," he said poking his dirty index finger into the pancake batter.

Henrietta slapped it away and looked at the calendar.

"What?" said Bob, "You're mumbling."

"Nothing." She gave him a peck on the cheek. It was April Fool's day: everything finally made sense.

Edit: To new players -- this is just a stupid joke. Please submit your entries by Private Message (PM) to the Fibliotechnocrat, in this case, BelMarduk .

PS: My mother always told me I was wasting my time in stand-up.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/23/06 10:11 PM
So *that's where they got the premise for that cornpone 60's sitcom Green Acres.

"'Greeeeeeeen Acres is the place for me,
Farm livin's where I'd rather be.'

'I just adore a penthouse view,
Darlink I love you but give me Park Avenue.'"

(sorry for the earworm, folks )

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/24/06 12:38 PM
You may be right WO'N. There was a movie that was made based on this book a good while before Green Acres was created. It didn't follow the story-line exactly though, which is annoying since the story is quite good.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/24/06 11:50 PM
Quote:

You may be right WO'N. There was a movie that was made based on this book a good while before Green Acres was created. It didn't follow the story-line exactly though, which is annoying since the story is quite good.

Never judge a book by its movie.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/24/06 11:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Can we quote you on that, Faldo?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 12:28 AM

That is generally true, eh!
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 01:49 AM
Keep 'em coming folks. Got 9 to date.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 05:28 AM
"On May 5, 1947 Claudette Colbert and Fred MacMurray starred in radio version of this film that was broadcast on the Lux Radio Theatre."

The Egg and I
Posted By: Salad_Dressing Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 12:13 PM
Betty kicked the stove, frustration in every syllable of her words, "Bob, damn you, I've been here a week and you haven't chopped one piece of damn wood! I warned you when we first came here: I have to have my coffeeevery morning or you know what I do-- !"
Posted By: consuelo Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 12:27 PM
Pssssst, SD. You need to send your submission by private message to belMarduk. Shake it up and pour again.

Welcome aBoard.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 12:41 PM
Check out the rules for hogwash above. It's the same only different.
Posted By: consuelo Re: Fibliotheque - deux - The Book - 03/25/06 01:23 PM
Hey, Insel. Re-edit your edit. belMarduk is the current fibliotechnocrat. If I get the PMs, I'll win the second round, too
Posted By: inselpeter Ooooooppppssss! - 03/25/06 02:08 PM
We couldn't have that!!!

Did you hear that, everyone? The Fibliotechnician is BelMarduk!!!!!
Posted By: belMarduk Only three and a half days left - 03/29/06 02:29 PM
Only three and a half days left folks. The submission window closes on Saturday at noon.

Come one, come all. I've got some good opening lines but not enough yet. Let's see if anybody can top em.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Only three days left - 03/29/06 07:11 PM
bel, you ever work as a circus barker?

Mine's in. I hope you hear from Alex; he missed last time and he's so creative. (hear that, Alex??)
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Only three days left - 03/29/06 07:24 PM
Thanks Anna. I'll try to get something together for this one.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Only one 1/2 day left - 03/31/06 03:48 PM
Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock...

Time waits for no man (or woman). Still waiting for a couple, or three, of people.

HA! I feel like E-Bay, where people wait until there is one minute left before bidding on an item.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Only one 1/2 day left - 03/31/06 04:48 PM
I'll bid 2½ lies.
Posted By: Owlbow Re: Only one 1/2 day left - 03/31/06 05:35 PM
Posted By: belMarduk Re: Only one 1/2 day left - 03/31/06 06:11 PM
Owlbow, you ever been on The Price is Right?
Posted By: themilum Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 02:59 PM
ACK! ACK!

I CAN"T STAND IT! I VOTE "D".
NO WAIT, NOT "D". "D" IS FLAKEY, I VOTE...UH...

HURRY BEL,
I HAVE NO MOUTH BUT I NEED TO SCREAM,
I HAVE NO FRANCHISE BUT I NEED TO VOTE!

ACK! ACK!
Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 05:32 PM
Despite my inability to steganographically insert the phrase "green acres" into my opening sentence, I have penned a contribution to this round and sent it to the Hogmaster. Considerably harder work this, compared to writing Hogwash definitions.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 08:07 PM
ACK! ACK!

I knew It! Milo is really one of the invaders from Mars Attacks! "Ack! Ack!" translates into "We come in peace" and "Don't run, we are your friends". You know what happens next, folks!

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!
Posted By: themilum Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 08:27 PM
Shoot Whit, I just got carried away. Now Williams done gone and sent his entry to a Hogmaster and that's another delay.

Shoot Williams, don't you know there ain't no Hogmaster in Fib...er... Fiblieuque? - no that's not it - anyway there ain't no Hogmaster.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 09:12 PM
Re: Whity-o

I just read an interesting book, "How to Serve Man."
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/01/06 09:19 PM
> "How to Serve Man."

a tennis classic by some hipster?
Posted By: belMarduk Re: half-day delay - 04/01/06 09:29 PM
I didn't get Alex's submission so I've called a half-day delay, what with all that blood, sweat, and tears he went through trying to incorporate Green Acres and all. I've sent him a note to resend it to me.

Oh, I know. In case Alex doesn't come on Board before tomorrow morning, can the person who got his submission send it off to me?

And no worries Milum, it'll be quick, everything is all in order and all I have to do is paste his submission in the lot and copy the whole thing here. As soon as I'm up, it'll be on Board.

With the two puppies, that'll be pretty early.
Posted By: themilum Only 1 and 1/2 hours left...Help! - 04/01/06 09:39 PM
Hurry up, BelMarduke, please!

From the closet comes the jive talkers and this thread is becoming unwound!
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Only one and 1/2 hours left - 04/02/06 12:27 AM
Quote:

> "How to Serve Man."

a tennis classic by some hipster?

Hannibal Lecter's autobiography/cookbook.
Posted By: Father Steve To Serve Man - 04/02/06 01:31 AM
"A race of aliens known as the Kanamits land on Earth and promise to be nothing but helpful to the cause of humanity. They eradicate hunger, eliminate war, and obliterate expensive power sources. All is not well, however, when a decoder discovers the Kanamits’ true intentions. Their book, To Serve Man, is actually a cookbook."

The Blurb
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: To Serve Man - 04/02/06 01:54 AM
hey! I had a post here. did it get deleted?

it said, "thanks for the skinny, TEd."
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: To Serve Man - 04/03/06 12:43 PM
To Serve Man

Rod Serling also made that into a classic Twilight Zone Episode.
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: To Serve Man - 04/03/06 05:06 PM
Are you sure Rod really suggested that piece?
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: To Serve Man - 04/03/06 09:41 PM
Quote:

Are you sure Rod really suggested that piece?

Well, I've seen it a dozen times or so over the years. And Serling wrote that show. Whether he adapted it from the above mentioned material or vice/versa, I dunno.

[edit: yep, he took it from Damon Knight's story -- from the link--

>>To Serve Man, written by Rod Serling from a short story by Damon Knight, was first televised on March 2, 1962. <<]

But here's a link to a webpage on it:

members.cox.net/kaiotea/serveman.htm
Posted By: inselpeter Re: To Serve Man - 04/04/06 02:06 AM
The book was originally composed as a gift to Cortez.
Posted By: AriFeanor Re: To Serve Man - 04/04/06 05:03 PM
I know he thought of the show, but I thought he also had many other writers contributing ideas. Maybe I'm wrong, you tell me. The Twilight Zone was and still is a great show to watch. Maybe incorporate a "Guess That 'Twi-Li-Sode'" game. Thanks for the information BTW.
© Wordsmith.org