Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jeffrey Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 05:00 PM
I saw a portion of an old movie on tv this morning. The police raided a gangland hangout, and a policeman says, "Check their hip pockets for guns." As the guns are collected, another cop remarks, "It's an arsenal." HIP pockets? ARSEnal? Not the dictionary etymology for arsenal, but apt. I wondered if the scriptwriter slipped this one in, or if it was unintentional. Anyone know of any other examples?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 05:04 PM
Only thing that occurs to me is a Groucho Marx joke, when someone picks up a gun which he calls a "gat" and then finds others, Groucho replies, "This gat had gittens."

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 05:32 PM
And since almost all the weapons were carried in the right hip pocket, it could be only half an ARSEnal.

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 05:38 PM
Which reminds me of apparently true story in 73 (a ham radio magazine) about twenty years ago, of a cop in Texas putting a handful of nicads for his walkie-talkie followed by a handful of pistol ammo into his hip pocket and shooting himself in the buttock.Anything to make a post.

Posted By: wow Re: Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 05:54 PM
looks like wwh is trying to jump to a new designator before the Anniversary.
wow

Posted By: wwh Re: Etymological Pun - 03/06/01 08:30 PM
Should I not ape my betters? Actually, it's that the Devil makes work for idle hands.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Etymological Pun - 03/08/01 05:12 PM
Didst know that Shakespeare was acquainted with Mae West -- she even had a major role in one of his plays. According to a very early version:

"Is this a dagger I see before me,
or art thou just glad to see me?"

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Etymological Pun - 03/22/01 07:01 PM
Actually, it's that the Devil makes work for idle hands.

God bless him!

© Wordsmith.org