Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Weirdest US street name contest results - 02/27/06 01:45 PM
Read about it here:

http://tinyurl.com/jlh43

(I'd reproduce the article but you're really not supposed to.)
The intersection of Lonesome and Hardup in Albany, Ga.

The funny intersections reminded me of this New Yorker Cartoon from a few years ago.
I used to have a candy manufacturer called O'Mally Candy Co. that was situated right at the end of Candy Cane Lane. It was cute.
Corner of Seaman and Cummings, just a block or two north of Dykeman in Uptown Manhattan.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Weirdest US street name contest results - 02/27/06 10:59 PM
Speaking of Manhattan street names, I remember a Maiden Lane that had a big old DO NOT ENTER sign on the end I was approaching from.
What you have to do Faldage is take the Chastity Beltway around and enter Maiden from the other end.
Oh, I always figured that sign was talking to somebody else.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Arlo sang it too - 02/28/06 03:01 AM
Oh, I always figured that sign was talking to somebody else.

"...but on the other side,
It didn't say nuthin!
This land was made for you and me."
--Woodie Guthrie (with a little help from his friends)

Oops, sorry, wrong thread (he added lyrically!)
Hey! New Jersey scored two!

>>In first place was Psycho Path in Traverse City, Mich. <<

Figures, don't it, Consuelo? Must be all those mushrooms...
Posted By: themilum Re: Weirdest US street name contest results - 03/01/06 01:51 AM
Wait, Whitman.

New Jersey is a million miles away from backwoods Alabama but we have dirty secrets too.

A little background is in order to preface the name of this infamous Alabamous dirt street. So here is the story that is given by those who live on ShiverdeFreezer Road.

Early 20th Century rural Alabama was peopled by both the kind and the cruel.
Pickens County was an exception; the politicians of Pickens County were both real cruel and real kind...sorta like the mafia.

The Sheriff of Pickins County was a God fearing man who believed that a man should not deceive others and that a man's bond with others was dependent on the truthfulness of his word. ShiverdeFreezer was a lively black man up from New Orleans. The Sheriff liked ShiverdeFreezer very much and gave him a dollar to vote for him in the coming election.

Here my memory get fuzzy. Either the sheriff lost the election or he didn't, but anyway the Sheriff found out that ShiverdeFreezer had bragged about voting for the Sheriff's opponent so he sought out ShiverdeFreezer and tied a rope around his ankle and drug him behind a galloping horse down the three mile strech of dirt road to a big oak tree where he hung him.

There is more to this story but I grow unhappy reporting it.
© Wordsmith.org