Wordsmith.org
Posted By: jmh Pink - 03/06/01 01:06 PM
I read today, that the colour that we know as "pink" was not ever thus.

Any idea of the name we give to the colour that used to be called "pink"?

{colourful replies are acceptable}

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Pink - 03/06/01 01:10 PM
Quote your source.
AnnaS requested that Jo quote her source.
at wow & CapK.

Posted By: jmh Re: Pink - 03/06/01 01:13 PM
>Quote your source

The National Trust magazine (England & Wales) - Spring 2001, article on paint colours used in National Trust properties.

good enough?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Pink - 03/06/01 01:28 PM
Works for me.

hurtling into OldHandhood

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Pink - 03/06/01 02:00 PM
I don't know what color pink used to be, but I'm hoping your source can answer my previously posed question of why we have a special word to describe pastel red?

Posted By: jmh Re: Pink - 03/06/01 02:16 PM
>pastel red

Maybe that was why it changed. You can't say "Pastel red to make the boys wink".

Posted By: Faldage Re: Pink - 03/06/01 02:58 PM
Not to answer your question, but.

There is a group of flowers known as xxx pink (xxx = e.g., swamp, mullein, clove, etc.) the colors of which seem to center vaguely around the color we now know as pink. Have to run an OED to find out which way that went.

AHD lists the origin of the word pink in the context of color or flowers as Unknown. The other pink comes from the Latin pingere.

Posted By: shanks Re: Pink - 03/06/01 03:06 PM
Um… technically speaking (which technician?), pink is not a whiter shade of red. In printing, and in art, pink is treated as a special colour in its own right, whereas 'light' red, is usually referred to as a screen (0% to 100% - some of you will be able to recreate this in the 'special colours' section in your computer's graphics area) of red. Similarly, grey is not necessarily the same as a screen of black, though in the four colour printing process (using cyan, magenta, yellow and black), a screen of black stands in for grey as a screen of red (with a dash of blue) stands in for pink. For authenticity, however, you might add a fifth colour to your printing (adding cost as well), such as 'special pink' (also available as a poster paint colour, and it stinks like something it would be obscene and inappropriate to characterise on this board).

This, convolutedly, is the reason why we don't say 'light black' or 'light red' - they are conventionally treated in art as separate colours in their own right - and you will not be able to mix up a convincing pink with just red and white - at least some blue will be involved. And no, that doesn't make it 'merely' light purple either.

Actually, the issue of colour cropped up in a thread some months ago, and tsuwm the magnificent linked us to an absolutely marvellous site that told yu more about colour than your were ever minded to know. If you try a search on color, spectrum, or color wheel, you might find the thread.

And Jo, was it called 'rose' like the French? Or 'madder'? (Or is that redundant?)

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: wwh Re: Pink - 03/06/01 03:32 PM
I looked "pink" up to try to make a jest about it being the color on a white shirt after being tinted by a rapier stained with hemoglobin. The etymology suggests this was the original meaning .I was surprised to find that foxhunters' colors were called pink. But the first definition referred to the flower so well known.

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Pink - 03/06/01 04:25 PM
I was going to make a note about the foxhunter's coat, which is actually scarlet, but Bill beat me to it. I have heard that the reason it's called 'pink' is because that was the name of the tailor who first made one. Can anyone verify or correct this?

While we're on this red-color binge/tinge, I take the opportunity to lament the contemporary ignorance of the common shades of red. Few people nowadays know the difference between scarlet and crimson, or are even aware that there is a difference.

And that leads me to a rant on the blue colors. It seems that no one anymore knows that there is a color called violet, which is not the same as purple. At least 95% of the time, when people say/write 'purple' they really mean 'violet' or some shade of violet, like lavender or lilac.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: Pink - 03/06/01 08:51 PM
>I was going to make a note about the foxhunter's coat, which is actually scarlet, but Bill beat me to it. I have heard that the reason it's called 'pink' is because that was the name of the tailor who first made one. Can anyone verify or correct this?

Not I, but I find it interesting that you bring up tailoring... this whole thread got me started on the possible link between pink the color and pink the verb, denoting the zig-zag cuts made by tailors' pinking shears ~

Hmmmm...

Posted By: wwh Re: Pink - 03/06/01 09:44 PM
Dear Bob: did the tailor you mention also invent pinking shears?

Posted By: wwh Re: Pink - 03/06/01 09:47 PM
I have heard that a rabbi became famous for circumcising with pinking shears (Please don't hit me, Shoshannah)

Posted By: Seian Re: Pink - 03/06/01 11:38 PM
And that leads me to a rant on the blue colors. It seems that no one anymore knows that there is a color called violet, which is not the same as purple. At least 95% of the time, when people say/write 'purple' they really mean 'violet' or some shade of violet, like lavender or lilac

I think part of it is because names for colors aren't as nailed down as we'd like to think. If you go hunting for art supplies, you'll find out that truth rather quickly. Heck, go try and buy a can of house paint!

Every child that goes to school has classes in the reading and writing of a language, but not nearly so many take classes that go into the classification and composition of color. Even then, it's a confused subject. It's why any smart artist has a look at a proof of a print, before it goes into production, because your idea of "cobalt blue", and the printer's idea of "cobalt blue" isn't necessarily the same. Right and wrong doesn't come into it.

I could rant a good while on art and colors, but I think I'll spare the people reading this thread, this time.

I checked my books for "pink", but in art they have more to say about how to make colors, than why they're called that.

Ali
Posted By: jmh Re: Pink answer - 03/07/01 12:47 AM
The article said that pink used to be yellow!

I've mailed them for more information as I can't find anything on the net about it. Here is a reply from a website that I discovered:

Hi Jo,
You are right, Old Holland still has some pinks that are yellow, PR101- synthetic iron oxide, Italian Brown Pink Lake. They are not opaque yellows. I think "pink" meant duel-toned, changing color when a clear medium is used to
lighten the basic color.
Don

Here is the "Artist on Location" webRing
http://www.mauigateway.com/~donjusko/artistonlocation.htm
Many thanks to Don Jusko!
Posted By: of troy Re: Pink answer - 03/07/01 01:41 PM
I heard Pink and Pinks (even if they were yellow) got there name from their "pinked" edges-- so Fibrebabe was on the right track--

Pinks had pinked edges-- a kind of zig zag or saw toothed edge.. and gave there name to the color. Pinking shears are named because they too, create a pinked edge-- This was a word i remember looking up as a child-- i wondered why "Pinking shears" where pinking shears.. what was pinking? I wasn't sure if Pink the color and pinking were releated-- and didn't know pinks as flower at all! (but now it have them in my garden! -- easy to grow short lived perennial!)

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Pink - 03/07/01 01:43 PM
I believe pinking shears are from an unrelated verb, meaning prick or pick (holes in...).

There is an old tailory firm in London called Thomas (?) Pink, but another idea I've heard is that only the Sovereign was allowed to use red (= "scarlet") livery, so others had to use a different colour. (We're talking heraldic colours here, where there are no fine distinctions.) But I can't vouch for either of these.

Posted By: NicholasW Pink: older name - 03/07/01 01:59 PM
Before the flower "pink" came to be used to describe colours, pink things were probably called red, in fact. Languages vary in how many basic colour terms they have, and English is exceptional in having (about) eleven. Most have less.

The smallest number of basic colour terms is two (warm/dark vs cool/light). Some languages have three, with red as the third term. Then blue/green is the fourth. A language that has six colour terms almost certainly has black, white, red, yellow, green, and blue.

Beyond that, it varies. We have grey, brown, purple, pink, and orange, for a total of eleven. At least, Roget's use those eleven. Many English-speakers would agree they have those eleven. But it does vary a bit from person to person. Some would say purple was a kind of blue, orange was a kind of yellow or red.

By "basic" I mean a set of shades. If you own a scarlet car, you own a red car. If you own an ultramarine or cerulean pencil, you own a blue one. (Here's the answer to another post here: purple is the generic term covering mauve, lavender, and violet, as well as being a specific shade in contrast to violet or mauve.)

Historically you can see the expansion of the English colour system. In Old English there were the six most fundamental colour terms, plus grey and brown. Then came purple (originally = crimson, the dye from the porphyry or murex), and pink from the flower, and orange from the fruit. These have became basic terms in modern English, so for most people, if something is pink, it isn't red. (Ignore borderline cases: think of the pinkest pink and the reddest red. It's been demonstrated across languages that's its focal shades, not borders, that are important for colour naming.)

This usage is influencing other languages. The European equivalents rose, orange etc are increasingly used as distinct colour names rather than shade names.

Posted By: wwh Re: pink and other colors - 03/07/01 02:48 PM
I should think women would go nuts trying to keep track of meaning of names for colors that clothing designers keep coining and changing.
It took me a while to find out what beige meant originaly - the color of undyed wool.

Posted By: Seian Re: pink and other colors - 03/07/01 04:23 PM
I should think women would go nuts trying to keep track of meaning of names for colors that clothing designers keep coining and changing.

No kidding. One year's "avacado" is "misty fern" the next. If only it stuck to clothing, though. One particular color in art supplies that drives me nuts is "indian red". It changed to "tuscan red", then "terra cotta". I have to bring left overs of whatever color I need to replenish, just to be sure I'm getting something close.

Car colors can get wierd too (along with the car names). I'm sure there are plenty of other examples for other products as well. I blame marketing "experts".

Ali
Posted By: of troy Re: pink and other colors - 03/07/01 04:43 PM
I dunno-- I am tone deaf-- i mean really bad-- but colors for me each color is pure and sings to me. I can track colors mentally-- many "colors" change depending on the light source-- incandesant/ floresent/natural daylight. but its not a problem for me.

It is one of the few characteristics that my mother really valued in me as a child. She was a seamstress and workded at home. she frequently sent me for buttons, thread and bindings and rarely questioned my matches. even when i brought home what looked to be a brown thread for a purplish fabric-- i was always right-- and as she stitched up the clothes, she had to admit it! I was grown before i realize not everyone could see colors with the same intensity i did.

When i first had a house, and need to patch a wall-- i amazed my husband by being able to "re-mix" a batch of paint to match the paint on the wall-- which is hard, since paint usually dries to a different color.

So to me, avacodo and misty fern are two very different colors... some of the hardest colors to name are shades of grey-- was it slate, or lead, or steel, or dove? biege and ecru are very different-- (natural wool and natural linen) I am very picky about colors, and hate when people "match" a blue red to a an orange red-- (it must be akin to some one with a "good ear" hearing me sing!)

we might be able to limit ourselves to 11 basic names for colors... but some colors, for me, are compounds-- a redish red orange (for a tomato, say) or a very redish blue red for a raspberry. raspberry red is very different than tomato red!

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Pink: older name - 03/07/01 04:44 PM
color names
What of the names given to the colors of the visible spectrum, which includes blue, indigo, and violet, three distinct colors which most people would lump together under "blue". This also makes my point that violet is akin to blue, not to red, to which purple is akin. In other words, purple is a reddish hue, violet is a bluish hue, but people keep using the term "purple" when they mean "violet".

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Pink - 03/07/01 04:55 PM
heraldic colors
This introduces an interesting subject. The heraldic colors (more properly called "tinctures") have French names, of course, since the heraldic system was developed under the Normans, who spoke Norman French, even in England. The tinctures are:
argent -- originally silver, represented on paper as white
or -- originally gold, represented on paper as yellow
sable -- black
gules -- red, either scarlet or crimson
azure -- blue, usually cerulean
vert -- green, usually a fairly deep green, not light green
These are the standard tinctures; also possible, but rare, were
tenne -- ="tawny", orange
murrey -- deep purple (the color of a mulberry)
Anything represented in its natural color was described (blazoned) as "proper".

Posted By: wow Re: Pink - 03/07/01 05:01 PM
Delighted to learn my favorite colors are gules and murrey
aka : Scarlet and Purple.
On the 17th of March, tho, I shall be wearing vert!
wow

Posted By: wow Re: Colors - Colours - 03/07/01 05:21 PM
For those with interest in Chinese art there's a fascinating book on painting and the colors used, including their derivation in traditional painting called
"The Way of Chinese Painting - Its Ideas and Techniques With Selections From the Seventeenth Century 'Mustard Seed Garden Manual of Painting'" by Mai-Mai Sze.
My copy was purchased for me at Caves Book Co. 99 Chung Shan Rd N. (2) Taipai, China Tel 44754 in 1967. (Good luck!)
Another good one is : "Outlines of Chinese Symbolism & Art Motives" (illustrated) by C.A.S. Williams. Dover Publications, New York. Sub title : "An alphabetical compendium of antique legends and beliefs, as reflected in the manners and customs of the Chinese" I found the descriptions of the movements used in traditional dramas and the meanings of the gestures great fun and informative.
wow

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: pink and other colors - 03/07/01 08:33 PM
>It took me a while to find out what beige meant originally - the color of undyed wool.

Now, c'mon Bill. If that was really what it meant, don't you thing it would be pronounced baaaaah-ge?

Posted By: wwh Re: pink and other colors - 03/07/01 09:19 PM
Maybe if it had been spelled as you suggest,Fiberbabe, it wouldn't have gotten so far away from the original color.My computer is said to be "beige" colored, but I never saw a sheep like that, and I saw a lot of sheep because my wife raised them

Posted By: Seian Re: pink and other colors - 03/08/01 03:21 AM
When i first had a house, and need to patch a wall-- i amazed my husband by being able to "re-mix" a batch of paint to match the paint on the wall-- which is hard, since paint usually dries to a different color.

That is quite a skill, and usually takes quite a bit of work to train the eye... often never to be reached.

I completely agree that the few names for colors oversimplifies. Though I also have to say that at least saying "green" gets people thinking in the right direction, when "chartreuse" could mean diddly to them. Sometimes any kind of communication is better than none at all.

Yes, avacado and mist green are different colors. I know. It was to illustrate that the business of selling has made understanding color that much more difficult. They don't care if it's right, so long as it's different than the last name they picked, and sounds interesting. Which is why I really resented the name changing in my art supplies. I don't consider "indian red" and "terra cotta" to be the same color, but they have decided it will be, for their product. I imagine "indian red" was changed for matters of sensitivity, but it should have been to a name that didn't already have a place elsewhere. And it means I can't change brands and expect to get the same color for the same name. Frustrating. (Even "pure" colors are on shaky ground, now that they are switching to synthetics to produce the color rather than the sometimes dangerous minerals that are traditional. You can't just buy supplies by their names any more...)

But anyway, I too love the diversity of colors. On decorating, I used to get comments from family (and some cheeky paint department employees) that they didn't think the colour I chose would work... but they do. My family now waits till after to make any comment.

Btw, my mother is a seamstress too.

Ali
Posted By: Anonymous Re: pink and other colors - 03/08/01 05:27 AM
Btw, my mother is a seamstress too.

So is mine (well, not by profession, but as a consuming hobby)

How nice to find a common thread. (Hehe... that's my first pun, ever...) NOTE TO SELF: Late nights, physical exhaustion, kahlua and AWAD do not play well together

Posted By: NicholasW Re: pink and other colors - 03/08/01 11:49 AM
we might be able to limit ourselves to 11 basic names for colors

Well, the eleven basic colours of English are really a compromise list. I've found it varies much more by individual, but you can't put idiosyncrasies of perception into Roget's Thesaurus.

I have a twelfth basic colour, crimson: anything deep red, claret, burgundy, or plum is to me not red. It's crimson. (Hungarian also has a separate dark red.) I cannot see crimson as a kind of red. I have no idea why.

My family are artists (I'm not), and they have interesting variations. They all maintain that aqua/turquoise is a disinct basic colour, and so is cream/ochre. (Or possibly cream and ochre/tan were two extra colours, I can't remember.) My father also distinguishes scarlet and red, insisting that if something is scarlet it isn't red (= a deeper shade, but not my very deep crimson).

Then there's the different question of what you feel ought to be distinct basic colours. I call both light blue and dark blue "blue", but I'd be eminently happy using distinct terms, as they do in Russian (siniy and goluboy). So to a lesser extent with green, except that there are a lot of middle-range greens in nature to bind the light and dark ones.

I also feel it's wrong to lump light brownish shades such as tan or ochre with cardinal brown. (French distinguishes beige from marron IIRC -- the word brun isn't the real equivalent of 'brown' in all its English use; but I am open to correction by native speakers.) Nevertheless, I don't feel that tan names a basic colour. As far as names go, tan is a kind of brown, even though perceptually I want to elevate it to basic status.

But I don't feel this with aqua. I am happy to say an aqua thing is either blue or green or something intermediate: that is shades of blue gradually give way to shades of green.

I suspect anyone would come up with equally subtle complications once you examined them in detail.

Posted By: shanks Re: pink and other colors - 03/08/01 12:44 PM
Snap!

My mum too. (Seamstress, that is. Stitched and taught sewing for years). Also (since she has polymathematical tendencies [grin]), a homeopathic doctor and a stock-market sub-broker, and a budding market-gardener.

But alas, I was never able to tell the right colour of thread for the particular fabric she was stitching. As a side-effect, however, I can do buttons and hemming quite efficiently!

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: shanks Heraldry - 03/08/01 12:53 PM
Hey Bob

My understanding was that or and argent were metals, not colours. Along with the furs: ermine etc (I can't remember the others - vair?), they form the three pinciple categories of colour/texture on a shield.

Technically, according to tradition, one may not 'charge' (place on top of) a metal with another metal, or a fur with another fur. These rules were, however, often disregarded in the 19th century when everybody and his brother wanted a coat of arms.

These days, I believe, the Royal College of Heraldry (or whatever it's called) is a bit more circumspect about the sorts of arms it recognises or issues.

Speaking of 'proper', in heraldry, it refers to anything shown 'realistically' - including animals. So a heraldic lion (in positions from couchant to rampant!) is quite different from a lion 'proper'. And so on...

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: NicholasW Re: Heraldry - 03/08/01 01:35 PM
No, 'proper' refers strictly to colour. A unicorn rampant, a phoenix, a lion passant guardant can all be proper. In the case of mythical animals it's a bit dodgy of course, but everyone agrees that unicorns are whitish. Phoenixes are multicoloured with crimson or purple predominating -- a phoenix proper is used in the arms of the Painters' Company IIRC.

Only very rarely are natural-looking versions of animals used, and they're usually described as different beasts. The dolphin is a bizarre monster, as is the tiger or tyger. To specify a natural one you would say Bengal tiger or whatever: examples occur.

Metal on metal is occasionally seen in Continental heraldry, e.g. the arms of the Papacy, St Peter's keys or on a field argent.

Posted By: shanks Re: Heraldry - 03/08/01 02:00 PM
Correction gratefully accepted. So much for my memory, eh?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Heraldry - 03/08/01 03:26 PM
Your memory is actually very good, Shanks. I did mention in my first post on heraldic colors the word "tincture", which is the technical overall term for what are commonly regarded as colors. As you note, the tinctures are: the 2 metals, argent and or; the colours, azure, gules, sable, vert, tenne and murrey; and the furs, ermine, vair, counter ermine, counter vair and two other very rare variants whose names escape me without looking them up.

Besides this, certain terms/names have tinctures built in. The heraldic beast called a wyvern is always vert. Then there are the variations of roundels. A roundel is a charge (thing superimposed on a shield) which looks like a ball, and they can be of any tincture, and they have different names depending on the tincture, so that the tincture is not stated. A "fountain" is a roundel which is white with zigzag blue lines (argent, barry-wavy azure). If I remember correctly, a pellet is sable. Then there are the gouttes, which are charges which look like a teardrop, and, like roundels, have different names depending on their tinctures; gouttes de larmes are argent; gouttes d'huile are vert.

Nicholas has correctly stated the meaning of "proper" and noted the difference between a heraldic animal and a real animal. The lions passant gardant or (yellow, walking on all fours towards the dexter side of the shield [the left side as we see it] but with the head turned to look directly at the viewer) which are part of the Royal coat of arms, have a conventional form, not really very much like a real lion. Interestingly, like other male animals, they are supposed to be depicted with the suggestion of a male member, and usually are so depicted.

Posted By: TEd Remington circumcising with pinking shears - 03/08/01 05:24 PM
It was YEARS before I understood the joke my father would tell about circumcisions: The rabbi gets the fees but the moyel gets all the tips.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Heraldry - 03/08/01 05:44 PM
If I remember correctly, a pellet is sable.

I remember a roudel sable as being an ogress.

gouttes de larmes are argent; gouttes d'huile are vert.

And gouttes de sangre(?) are gules. I remember this one from the arms I designed once:

Gules a cock courant(?) or couped at the neck. A chief of the second gouttes de sangre. Motto: Cadit caelum.

I probably got that whole emblazoning all screwed up.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: circumcising with pinking shears - 03/08/01 05:48 PM
though i understood the joke, i couldn't tell if 'moyel' was the doctor or the trash receptacle. Atomica was of no use, so to save time for anyone else who is unsure, google reveals that the moyel (or mohel) is a person of the Jewish faith (but not necessarily a Rabbi) who is ordained, medically trained and certified to do circumcision under the guidelines of the Jewish religion.

Posted By: maverick Re: circumcising with pinking shears - 03/08/01 05:52 PM
So the Rabbi's a cut above the Moyel?

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: Heraldry - 03/08/01 06:52 PM
Roundel sable = ogress

Come to think of it, I believe you are correct. I've been jotting down these notes off the top of my head. It's been years since I looked into my trusty collection of books by Fox-Davies, whose books are, in my opinion, the best on the subject.

Posted By: of troy Re: circumcising with pinking shears - 03/08/01 07:22 PM
Oh dear Moyel jokes-- they are (or have been) rampant in NY

-like the person who is traveling in (any remote place in the world)- and his watch battery dies-- walking down a small street, he see a shop with a large pocket watch hanging out side.

he enters the store, the shelfs are dusty and bare, but a well dressed man appears from the back of the shop-

the traveler only speaks english (well this is an american joke!) and starts to speak to the shop keeper, hoping that in spite of the scant visible stock, he will have a battery.. the shop keeper keeps trying to stop the man, but he persist in asking-- Till finally, the shopkeeper explains-- I am not a watchmaker, this is not a watch shop-- i needed some space, rented it, and never removed the watch from the previous tenent...
So the man asks-- why not, why don't you advertize what you do? the answer "I am a moyel-- what do you suggest i hang outside?"

Most of the other moyel jokes are just too well, not appropiate! (many are very funny!)

Posted By: wwh Re: circumcising with pinking shears - 03/08/01 08:22 PM
Thanks maverick and of troy. I was crying great big tears thinking that one had gone down the tube, or thunderously silently disapproved of. Now can anyone tell me if it actually heightens the pleasure of the penetrated?

Posted By: Faldage Re: Ogress - 03/08/01 09:06 PM
The link in my brain is from my ex-wife.

No, no. The divorce was as calm as could be and we remain friends, but when she moved in, one of my cats remained freaked by her for longer than might be expected and she ended up with ogress as a nickname for a while. I was going to add an ogress to some other arms I had floating about in my history as a quarter. One of the quarters already on the shield was or on a bend sable three bananas increscent proper.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 01:15 AM
Of Troy, so maybe you can help me with TAUPE. I have heard taupe used to describe everything from khaki to beige with a tint of brown or green. What IS it supposed to be.

Posted By: wwh Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 01:41 AM
Dear belMarduk: Forgive me, but I rejoice that a knowledgeable lady can be baffled by the fashion ads. It would surprise me if what the store that used that word had merchandise even remotely resembling the dictionary definition which you of course knew. I think my computer color is a pastel beige blended with a tiny touch of taupe.
Beige is sure not close to Italian bigi which I have seen defined flatly as gray.

Posted By: of troy Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 01:43 PM
Well that because taupe is all of those-- taupe is brownish grey-- but that leaves a lot of space since "brown" is really a wonderful hodge-podge color. it can be greenish, or redish, or blackish-- and then take what ever you have, and soften the color by adding grey--which at once makes it lighter (the white half of grey), and drabber, (the black half of the grey).

so everything from the color of cooked mushrooms--or earth soiled sail (white) cloth, or patches of sycamore bark could be called 'taupe' as could khaki-- which is from the hindu for "the color of the dust of the earth"

depending on where you are-- khaki is a very different color. from very light to rather dark, from brownish red, to almost white or green-- to taupe!

Puce is another one of these colors that is kind of hard to define-- its dark reddish brown... but it could be the color of Rose bush leaves-- not the pure green one, but the leaves that have a reddish/brown/green color-- which doesn't sound like it could be a color-- but somehow, rosebushes manage it!

Posted By: wwh Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 03:25 PM
Dear of troy: for a long time I have been expecting to see ladies' undergarments featured with the color prepuce.

Posted By: wow Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 05:41 PM
ladies' undergarments featured with the color prepuce.
------------------------------------------------------
Naughty man!
wow

Posted By: belMarduk Re: pink and other colors - 03/09/01 09:38 PM
Puce is described as sang de boeuf (beef blood) in French. And a puce is a flea.

Posted By: wwh Re: pink and other colors - 03/11/01 09:41 PM
bijou, caillou, chou, genou, hibou, joujou, pou. I thought pou was flea.

While out on my walk, one of my few remaining functional cerebral cortical neurones shrieked "pou" is "louse".
Was it right?
Posted By: des Re: pink and other colors - 03/11/01 10:17 PM
Puce is (to me) a brownish purple color. I baked a loaf of blueberry bread in breadmaker and guess what! The bread was puce colored! Closed my eyes to eat it!

Posted By: of troy Re: pink and other colors - 03/12/01 01:48 PM
Yes, puce is also a flea-- a fruit flea-- a psylla

Posted By: BlanchePatch Re: pink and other colors - 03/12/01 08:47 PM
I imagine "indian red" was changed for matters of sensitivity, but it should have been to a name that didn't already have a place elsewhere.
Crayola used to have a color called "flesh" that was pinkish. Even when I was a kid I thought it was odd. Of course bandaids didn't match my skin either.

Posted By: wow Re: pink and other colors - 03/12/01 09:04 PM
BlanchePatch, welcome.
wow

Posted By: jimthedogII Re: Pink - 03/12/01 10:13 PM
Egyptian Red, I think. That's what the visitors of Egypt called it when they saw it. (In fact the Egyptians invented it in the middle or old kingdom.

-Scott rough_collie@dog.com
Posted By: AnnaStrophic What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 12:31 PM
This was posed to me yesterday

Posted By: of troy Re: Pink - 03/13/01 01:03 PM
But what color is that? Indian red to me is a iron oxide red-- there is a clay out cropping not far from where i live (in a state park) and you can find "indaian paint pots" small round lumps of clay that have rock like out crusts-- you break them open, and the clay inside has become creamy and soft-- and can be use to "Paint" your face-- (there are also ocher ones, with yellow paint). the red of the indian paint pots to me is indian red-- a red iron oxide.

Is Eygptian red also a red oxide? (which is also known as barn red-- since iron oxide pigment has great staying power, and a when you painted a barn red, you didn't have to repaint it to often.)

Posted By: maverick Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 01:07 PM
"And what colour is a mirror?" asked Tom reflectively...

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 01:41 PM
Mirrors are often (usually !) silver-- quick silver-- but i have seen bronze mirrors and other color mirrors.

I have an old mirror that i have to be careful when i move it- the mercury is detaching-- and i get beads of quick-silver! -- and a prism is way of seeing component color-- lt (the triangle of glass) lets us see the color component color so white light-- but did you ever shine a flash light beam into a prism-- and laser light enters and leaves a prism unchange in color --(of course--it is a single frequency of light--) but it does change direction...

obviously, the problem is, we use the same word for the triangluar piece of glass, as we do for the result of white light that enter the glass.

M-W word of the day is "sound" -- have you every smelled a sound? I have!-- an other word that has more than one meaning!

Posted By: maverick Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 01:57 PM
have you every smelled a sound?

Yep. When the bob comes up from the bed of the Thames in the outer reaches towards the sea, you know exactly what the smell of the sound is - and it's almost unfathomably horrible! barf

Posted By: wwh Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 02:39 PM
Rainbow colors come from a prism, but the prism is virtually colorless. My favorite prisms are in a kaleidoscope, but they are both clear and colored.

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 05:02 PM
Well most of the LI Sound is fairly sweet and "sea/salt" but the prevail winds are North easterly, and i live south, so i rarely get to smell it, even though i am only 1 mile (and in sight) of it.

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 05:14 PM
Bill i collect kaleidoscopes-- and have some beautiful ones-- I have one that is not a kaleidoscope proper, but is a karascope-- instead of having a set of mirrors to create 3/6/12/etc symetey, it has a number of peices of polorized lenses...
as the polorized lenses over lap, only certain band widths of color pass-- it really help you "see" the difference between "white" light, florecent light, incandecient light, and halogen light-- (which is very "white") since light that doesn't have full spectrum to begin with loks very different with polorizing lenses. The kara scope is sold by MOMA-- (NY Met. Mus. of Modern Art)

most kaleidoscopes don't have proper prisms (but rather have mirrors to refect images) But i do have a kaleidoscope that doesn't have any "little beads" or bits of colored glass, but rather has a cut crystal at the end, this sometimes acts like a prism--

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 11:13 PM
I repeat.

Posted By: Hyla Re: What color is a prism? - 03/13/01 11:45 PM
I'd think the answer to this would be pretty clear.

Posted By: wwh Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 12:57 AM
Of course in the very beginning I was thinking of rainbow, but still am not sure it fits. It comes out of a prism, but it cannot be said the be the color of the prism.I've been waiting for someone else to say rainbow, and see how they defended that answer.

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 12:32 PM
Roy V Biv has the answer!

Posted By: Bobyoungbalt Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 04:43 PM
The Biv brothers

Is Roy V related to Roy G Biv?

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 04:47 PM
yes--an obgious slip of the finger...

Posted By: maverick Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 04:55 PM
yeah, that little middle finger's a devil...

Posted By: Hyla Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 05:35 PM
So the answer isn't clear? Seems clear to me.

Posted By: Fiberbabe Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 06:46 PM
I figured that of troy was making a wry reference back to the colors of heraldry aspect of this thread, and Roy's middle name was "Vert".

You're welcome, Helen.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 07:07 PM
I'm serious, guys. I need to know the answer. Is "clear" a color? [crossing-arms-over-bosom e]

Posted By: of troy Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 07:35 PM
No clear is not a color--it is a property-- just like translucence-- I loved it when i discovered some "stones" are translucent! Some like most marbles are "opaque" but some like agate-- are translucent. there is a lovely church in Rome, that has agate not stained glass windows--

and i think a polarizing effect can be found in some natural materials, too. by that i mean they will allow certain frequencies of light to pass, but will block others-- and the effect depends on the position of the materal relative to the light source...

"florecent" is not just a "light type" but a property too, some materials absorb or reflect UV (ultra violet) light-- and while we can't see the UV light, we can see the change in color or reflectiveness of the material-- so UV lights are used to create "psychedelic" colors. And many clothing detergents use UV dyes to make clothes look "brigher" --remember the last time you went to a disco-- and your shirt looked dull-- the plastic buttons glowed? the UV dyes don't work well on man made fabrics-- but do on many plastics.. so your polyester shirt didn't glow- but the plastic "pearl" buttons did!

I have a black (UV) light for my rock collections. its always fun when someone gets close to see what else will glow in light. some diamonds (but not all) will as will many real gem stones.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 08:55 PM
humor aside, i'd say a prism is "colorless".

btw, i found one of atomica's definitions interesting: "A medium that misrepresents whatever is seen through it". Seems the word 'prism' could figuratively be applied to our own eyes, when colored by our experiences and resultant presuppositions.

Posted By: Jackie Post deleted by Jackie - 03/14/01 09:15 PM
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:17 PM
I have had the privilege of being involved with a

jackie, i think you're taking this colorless thing a bit too far.

Posted By: Jackie Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:19 PM
sigh--decided mid-submit that most of it was a stupid post.

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:21 PM
sigh--decided mid-submit that most of it was a stupid post.

Pshaw! the truth is that you don't want to be our next Pooh-Bah!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:24 PM
*grumble* it just figures that the first time someone thought one of my posts was worthwhile, and said so, it'd be promptly deleted.... *sigh*

Posted By: Jazzoctopus Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:27 PM
I'd say that a prism can be any color you want it to be.

Put it on black paper, it will be black. (Wait, black isn't a color either) Anyway. . . put it on a red tomato, it will be red. Put it in the grass and it will be green. . . etc.

Posted By: wwh Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:30 PM
Dear Jazz: Try that with a prism made of black glass.

Posted By: Rapunzel Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:45 PM
Try that with a prism made of black glass.

In that case, why would I be worrying about what color it is? It's black.
By the way, are any prisms made out of black glass? I've never seen one.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: What color is a prism? - 03/14/01 09:47 PM
I give up. I'm gong back to the party.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Post deleted - 03/15/01 05:09 AM
Seems the word 'prism' could figuratively be applied to our own eyes, when colored by our experiences and resultant presuppositions.

The part that wasn't stupid was that I think Bridget96 has made a wonderful comparison. The rest was a mixture of nattering and YART. There, B--I think our sighs cancelled each other out.

It is true, Max. I am not especially eager to become a...a... that thing. Especially not after visiting a site that has a remarkable likeness to Tsuwm.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Post deleted - 03/15/01 04:08 PM
> Especially not after visiting a site that has a remarkable likeness to Tsuwm.

I hope you're not expecting me to fall into *that trap, j...

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Post deleted - 03/15/01 11:21 PM
tsuwm & Jackie,
Maybe one of y'all could be Pooh-Bah and t'othah, Tiggah?

Posted By: wsieber Re: What color is a prism? - 03/20/01 08:53 AM
What color is a prism

I suppose this is a Zen type question, like the sound of a single hand clapping..

Posted By: Anonymous Re: What color is a prism? - 03/20/01 03:40 PM
I suppose this is a Zen type question, like the sound of a single hand clapping..

YES! and also reminiscent of that age-old question:

"If a man was speaking in the middle of a forest, and there was no woman around to hear him... would he still be wrong??"

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What color is a prism? - 03/20/01 06:47 PM

Aah, but Bart Simpson answered that one years ago.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: What color is a prism? - 03/20/01 06:54 PM
...and once again joe asks himself (and yarts himself), "what's the difference between a duck"?

Posted By: wsieber Re: What color is a prism? - 03/21/01 09:27 AM
Bart Simpson answered that one years ago

Please, Max, let this foreigner in on it

Posted By: belligerentyouth The sound of a single hand clapping - 03/21/01 10:15 AM
>let this foreigner in on it

I believe it was 'kind of a whooshing sound', wasn't it?

Posted By: Max Quordlepleen Re: What color is a prism? - 03/21/01 05:42 PM
Please, Max, let this foreigner in on it

In one episode of The Simpsons Bart's sister Lisa was trying to help him train for a important game of miniature golf by introducing him to Zen. She asked him, "what is the sound of one hand clapping?", and he responded by clapping one hand, which is, of course, incredibly easy to do, though I had never thought to try it, before seeing it done.

Posted By: wwh Re: What color is a prism? - 03/21/01 11:59 PM
Clapping with one hand.

Thanks Max. for further confusing this furriner.Just to pay you back, I will describe a VD diagnostic breakthrough in the forties. The gonophone,a special catheter with a microphone in it, so that every time a gonococcus went by the tip, the doctor with the earphones could hear it go "Clap,Clap!"

Posted By: Bean Re: What color is a prism? - 03/22/01 11:28 AM
You have to think about: how do you define colour? It is the part of the spectrum which is reflected back to your eyes rather than absorbed by the object that it strikes. Glass has a very small reflection coefficient, so not much light is reflected back to you to begin with. As for the spectral variation of the reflection coefficient, I am not sure about it, but if I had time I could probably look it up. But I think your eyes won't see much difference if it reflects, say, 2% of the intensity of red light and 1% of the intensity of blue light. Both numbers are so small that you don't notice a particular colour being preferentially reflected. So the colour would be - whatever preferred word for no colour at all - I would call it "clear".

Now you say, but the prism splits light into a rainbow. Yes, but that is the light that goes through it, not the light that is reflected. If you're sticking to the reflection definition of colour, then the prism is clearly clear. 'laugh] You can't see the rainbow part unless you project it onto something, which isn't the same thing as the colour of the prism itself.

Polarization is a lot harder to explain in words (physics is all about drawing things, which I am terrible at), so I will leave that unless someone PMs me to ask.

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: What color is a prism? - 03/22/01 12:33 PM
"If a man was speaking in the middle of a forest, and there was no woman around to hear him... would he still be wrong??"

Yep. It's not a matter of guilt it's simply a question of method and opportunity.

© Wordsmith.org