Wordsmith.org
Posted By: TEd Remington Peppermint pig - 01/01/06 03:14 PM
There's a mini-tradition called the Peppermint Pig. Every year families gather during the holidays and use a small hammer to break apart a pink pig made of hard peppermint candy, sharing the pieces.

Well, our pig fell into the ashes, so it needs to be cleaned! You know what that means: HOGWASH.

Send your PMs to me by 2400 UCT on 8th January and define firn.

No fair looking it up, of course. See the roolz.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Peppermint pig - 01/01/06 09:50 PM
B...bu... but what if you accidently click it with your Babylon? this is the second time this bloody thing has happened to me!

*grumbles*... stupid natural instict that makes me click on words I don't recognize... *grumbles*

Well, fortunately I only caught one word from the definition (*cough* long one though! *cough*), I may just use it in my "fake" definition... or would I?
Posted By: themilum Re: Peppermint pig - 01/01/06 11:33 PM
Quote:

B...bu... but what if you accidently click it with your Babylon? this is the second time this bloody thing has happened to me!

*grumbles*... stupid natural instict that makes me click on words I don't recognize... *grumbles*

Quote:

Well, fortunately I only caught one word (long one though!), I may just use it in my "fake" definition... or would I?

My, logwood, you do ramble. What is your point?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Peppermint pig - 01/01/06 11:35 PM
he looked up the hogwash word, before he realized it was the hogwash word.

My, milo, you do criticize. what is your point?
Posted By: themilum Re: Peppermint pig - 01/01/06 11:55 PM
My point is that he looked up the hogwash word before he realized it was the point. How pointless. At least for those who care.
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Peppermint pig - 01/02/06 12:45 AM
Sheesh. Twice. Or, what was that word Faldage used. Seufz? I had a devil of a time finding that one!

Sigh.
Posted By: Logwood Re: Peppermint pig - 01/02/06 11:04 AM
I didn't "look it up", I inadvertently clicked on it due to an embedded instict in me that makes me click on words I don't recognize, often unconsciously! this click operates the Babylon "single-click information" software. But I like I said, I only caught one word (from the definition) before I minded this is the "Hogwash word". Sheesh, you do criticize.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Peppermint pig - 01/02/06 12:50 PM
My suggestion (and this is just a suggestion, mind) is that you avoid using the long word in your definition and, if you think that you recognize the correct definition from among the phonies, that you avoid choosing it and go for the one you think you might have chosen without your preknowledge. If this seems to be too much akin to the judge's instructions that the jury disregard the fact that the defendant has just shot the prosecuting attorney then perhaps you should recuse yourself. Just a suggestion, mind. Do what you feel is right.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Peppermint pig - 01/02/06 03:18 PM
I agree with Faldage, logwood. As long as you don't spoil the game for other people, it's OK if you know the definition. Gives you a chance to mess with people's heads, don'tcha know?
Posted By: Logwood Stick to the program - 01/02/06 03:42 PM
What? I don't know the definition. Hell, I don't even remember what was that word.

Quote:

As long as you don't spoil the game for other people

Oh shoo! I can't?!? because I was just about to PM everyone with the definition I don't know. Crikey. Thanks for saving me.

Quote:

Gives you a chance to mess with people's heads, don'tcha know?

I happened to have played the game before, so yes, I do know.

geeze luise...
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Moving right along... - 01/03/06 02:04 AM
Well, I'm a firn believer in "live and let live," so let's just get on with the game, okay?
Posted By: themilum Re: Moving right along... - 01/03/06 08:33 AM
Ok, I'm in...and I'll raise you two of them red chips and one of them there white ones.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Moving right along... - 01/03/06 01:59 PM
Quote:

firn believer

Heh®
Posted By: Owlbow Blue chip - 01/03/06 03:19 PM
I'll raise ya two
Posted By: wofahulicodoc chipping away - 01/03/06 05:48 PM
Not to poke fun or anything, but don't forget that when the chips are down you have to have put in a good word to qualify...
Posted By: Owlbow I'll raise ya 3 blues - 01/03/06 07:06 PM
Barghest
Yarak
Goodwill
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: I'll raise ya 3 blues - 01/03/06 08:45 PM
Barghest
Yarak
Goodwill

Three blues? I didn't realize they were dirty words! Certainly not the first two; they've been [Hog]washed!
Posted By: themilum Goodwill? - 01/03/06 09:25 PM
Goodwill has never been a part of Hogwash and Goodwill never will.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Peppermint pig - 01/03/06 09:38 PM
Quote:

I didn't "look it up", I inadvertently clicked on it due to an embedded instict in me that makes me click on words I don't recognize, often unconsciously! this click operates the Babylon "single-click information" software. But I like I said, I only caught one word (from the definition) before I minded this is the "Hogwash word". Sheesh, you do criticize.

Logwood, I greatly admire your thirst for learning new words in a foreign language and your concern that you might be messing up Hogwash in some way. Don't let the monolingual nay-sayer get you down. He likes to stir up trouble: just ignore him. We've had worse around here -- he's actually pretty inocuous.
Posted By: themilum Peppermint pig as opted by an asp. - 01/03/06 11:41 PM

Quote:

"Don't let the monolingual nay-sayer get you down. He likes to stir up trouble: just ignore him. We've had worse around here -- he's actually pretty inocuous."

Hey Mister Hogmaster, I think that the Asp just called me "a monolingual inocuous". Can she do that and still be considered well-mannered?
Posted By: maverick Re: Peppermint pig as opted by an asp. - 01/04/06 12:12 AM
> still be considered well-mannered

Dunno Milo - I loves her to bits but I've allus considered her well, mannered...
Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Peppermint pig as opted by an asp. - 01/04/06 12:58 AM
Quote:

Hey Mister Hogmaster, I think that the Asp just called me "a monolingual inocuous". Can she do that and still be considered well-mannered?

I guess monolingaul is better than speaking with a forked tongue, Milo, old friend, but I wonder if inocuous means you need to get a shot? I suppose I could noculater, but I'm not that kinda person. Except when someone honks me off big time.

I do wish you'd think before you leaped sometimes, though. Logwood is kinda new here, he's trying really hard to be a transfusion of new blood without trying to kill the organism; let's all make a resolution:

CUT SLACK AT ALL TIMES!!!!

And as to whether ASp is well-mannered, I haven't the slightest idea what her house is like.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Peppermint pig as opted by an asp. - 01/04/06 12:11 PM
Quote:

I suppose I could noculater, but I'm not that kinda person.

Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc stick to the point! - 01/04/06 02:19 PM
Quote:

That's a pointy stick whar Ah come from, pardnuh! "Poke your eye with a pointy stick!" Din't you listen to your Mama?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: stick to the point! - 01/04/06 03:01 PM
my Dad says, "better than a kick in the pants".
Posted By: musick Holey stick pin, Batman - 01/04/06 09:36 PM
Except when someone honks me off big time.

You knew big time didn't like being innocuous when you got on him...
Posted By: Father Steve Re: stick to the point! - 01/05/06 12:08 AM

And my sainted paternal grandmother (the one who swore) expanded that to "better than a good, swift kick in the pants."
Posted By: Faldage Re: stick to the point! - 01/05/06 11:31 AM
Quote:

Quote:

That's a pointy stick whar Ah come from, pardnuh! "Poke your eye with a pointy stick!" Din't you listen to your Mama?

Yeah. She said "sharp stick." And it's "Din't you never listen to your Mama?"

Geez! Some people ain' got no grammar!
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: stick to the point! - 01/05/06 11:56 AM
Quote:

And my sainted paternal grandmother (the one who swore) expanded that to "better than a good, swift kick in the pants."

In my family it was always "Better than a kick in the seat with a frozen boot"
Posted By: TEd Remington Time is running out. - 01/07/06 09:42 PM
Just 25 hours or so until deadline.

Please, all you new people -- submit a made-up definition for firn and join in the fun.
© Wordsmith.org