Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Jackie New round of pig-cleaning - 10/20/05 01:13 PM
This is my first, and likely my last, attempt at running a round (though I do seem to do a lot of circling, come to think of it). I am worried that it may be too well-known to qualify, so be warned now that the round may have to be cancelled. But, here goes: the term is

Gong farmer
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/23/05 04:52 PM
I'm not sure, but somehow the word rings a bell...

PM is on its way.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/24/05 12:49 AM
somehow the word rings a bell Groan! Okay--I've already gotten quite a handful of def.'s--thanks, you-all; what say I give it a couple more days to let the folks who pretty much go on-line only from work have a shot, then post them?
Posted By: Father Steve Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/24/05 01:49 AM
You're going to post the people "who pretty much go on-line only from work"? How, exactly, do you do that, Wonder Woman?
Posted By: Faldage Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/24/05 10:15 AM
How, exactly, do you do that, Wonder Woman?

How she does it is by using the logical choice for the antecedent of the pronoun rather than just blindly picking the one that happens to be closest to the pronoun.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/24/05 10:53 AM
Quote:

How, exactly, do you do that, Wonder Woman?

How she does it is by using the logical choice for the antecedent of the pronoun rather than just blindly picking the one that happens to be closest to the pronoun.

One for the dog that bit you, eh?

Posted By: Jackie Re: "Wonder Woman" - 10/24/05 01:47 PM
Ahem--there's no law against having two Stephen Martyrs, that I know of.
Posted By: Father Steve Two Stephen Martyrs - 10/25/05 03:29 AM
The other one's feast day (and presumed date of death) is not until 26 December, so I gots time to get your present before being dispatched, eh?
Posted By: Jackie ALERT - 10/25/05 01:28 PM
Unless somebody PM's me that they need more time, I'd like to present the def's. I have about 12 hours from the time of this post; that will be an hour and a half from the end of my Tuesday.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: ALERT - 10/25/05 01:41 PM
Quote:

Unless somebody PM's me that they need more time, I'd like to present the def's. I have about 12 hours from the time of this post; that will be an hour and a half from the end of my Tuesday.

Hilda! You are like the antealarmclockarians of Turkey who woke their visitors several times on the night before travel, because they didn't know when the sun would rise.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: hit the snooze... - 10/25/05 02:46 PM
and like my prinicpal, who makes intercom announcements stating that he'll be making an intercom announcement later...
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/25/05 04:39 PM
>>gong farmer<<

Uh, yes...that would be Chuck Barris who harvested, among other crops, Gene Gene the Dance Machine and the Unknown Comic.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/25/05 04:45 PM
Hey! Does this make Jackie our first official Hogmistress?
Posted By: tsuwm Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/25/05 06:58 PM
>Does this make Jackie our first official Hogmistress?

nope; that would be the late (as in much overdue to return), lamented Wordwind.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/25/05 11:14 PM
Hey, now, dag nab it--y'all can't tell me that no other "get 'em in now" warnings have ever been posted; grr.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: hit the snooze... - 10/26/05 12:09 AM
... like my prinicpal, who makes intercom announcements stating that he'll be making an intercom announcement later...

When I attended Camp Lutherwood on the shores of Lake Sammish as a young lad, the camp director would ask, at the end of supper, if anyone had any announcements, and Pastor Piehl would always stand up and solemnly say "I wish to announce that I have no announcements." I'm not sure what else I learned in all of those years at that summer camp, but that recollection has certainly lasted forty-plus years.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/26/05 01:38 AM
Quote:

Hey, now, dag nab it--y'all can't tell me that no other "get 'em in now" warnings have ever been posted; grr.

Whoa! Easy now! I was just pointing out you'll be up till past pumpkin time making your collections. That is, I was sayin', "Hey! Whatta gal!"

Dang.
Posted By: Jackie Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/26/05 01:25 PM
insel, that was pretty good Southron for a damyankee!
Posted By: inselpeter Re: New round of pig-cleaning - 10/27/05 09:18 AM
Posted By: vanguard Re: hit the snooze... - 10/27/05 06:51 PM
Attending camp - oh my...
When I attended Camp Christian in the middle of Ohio as a young lass, we had a song we sang whenever anyone said they had an announcement:

"Announcements, announcements, announcements! A terrible death to die; a terrible death to die; a terrible death to be talked to death; a terrible death to die."

So the objective of each person (usually a minister or counselor) was NOT to say the dreaded "Announcement" when making one. Or do it on purpose so we all got a chance to sing the song.
Posted By: Father Steve Announcements - 10/27/05 07:11 PM
Sung to the tune of "A'Hunting We Will Go" perhaps?
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Announcements - 10/27/05 08:08 PM
that'd be the one I know, too. though we sang for the third phrase, "a terrible death to die today". we South Dakotans had to be original... somehow.
Posted By: Jackie Re: South Dakotans - 10/28/05 01:40 PM
I find myself wanting to say that as South Dakota-uns.
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: South Dakotans - 10/28/05 02:43 PM
heh. ®

nope.
Posted By: vanguard Re: Announcements - 10/28/05 03:43 PM
Part of it would be "A Hunting We Will Go", I think. The beginning three "announcements" are more like a trumpet herald. Maybe eta can 'splain it better!
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Announcements - 10/28/05 04:34 PM
> 'splain

so do so, do mi do, mi so-so do

(I'll be back in a few with an audio clip...)

ok, here ya go:
announcements (108k mp3)
© Wordsmith.org