Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq SOOOEY - 10/09/05 03:06 AM
Apart from highlighting that litigation seemed tempting after having been cynically manouevred out of finally garnering a point or two in hogwash, the above thread title is also an invitation to participate in another round.

I have no idea how successful this will be, but since it appears that capricious cancellations are completely kosher, I stand to lose nothing by trying.

Anybody who wants to can feel free to PM me with a definition for funda.
Posted By: Faldage Re: FOOOEY - 10/09/05 12:36 PM
If you wanted to score points and knew the real definition you should of didn't send the correct definition in cause then you couldn't of got points for voting for the correct definition cause it was yours. You have no one to blame but yourself.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: FOOOEY - 10/09/05 12:52 PM
You have no one to blame but yourself.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: SOOOEY - 10/09/05 01:15 PM
Max, is 22 your team number?

P.S.: ignore these "ignorance of the law is no excuse" hard-a*ses; you didn't know you knew the correct definition.

-- he who forgest the past etc.

I [sic]'d the actual typo on ya'll, 'cause I thought it was funny.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: FOOOEY - 10/09/05 05:04 PM
Quote:

If you wanted to score points and knew the real definition you should of didn't send the correct definition in cause then you couldn't of got points for voting for the correct definition cause it was yours. You have no one to blame but yourself.

But, like I said in t'other thread, I had no idea that the definition I submitted was the real one.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: SOOOEY - 10/09/05 05:06 PM
Quote:

Max, is 22 your team number?

That ain't 22.

And thanks for the vote of support, too.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: FOOOEY - 10/09/05 05:18 PM
>I had no idea

<I took a stab at the word based purely on its phonetic similarity to "talwaar" the Hindi word for any sword. I really had no idea that it WAS the word.>

i.e., tulwar .NE. talwaar?!

so, you made a connection w/o making any real connection. if we can get a gloss from the other reprobate involved, perhaps what we have here is an armilŪ?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: FOOOEY - 10/09/05 05:25 PM
Quote:

>I had no idea

<I took a stab at the word based purely on its phonetic similarity to "talwaar" the Hindi word for any sword. I really had no idea that it WAS the word.>

i.e., tulwar .NE. talwaar?!

so, you made a connection w/o making any real connection

The connexion really surprised me, becauase when I decided to have a go, I started by looking for a hindi word spelled "tulwar", but couldn't find one. Then I looked for "talwar", and still couldn't find one. Going from the short "a" to the long "aa" was the last step. If I was a victim of anything, it was of my own long-standing dissatisfaction with the translaiteration from devanagri into Roman characters.
Posted By: AnnaStrophic POOOEY - 10/09/05 08:41 PM
Quote:

if we can get a gloss from the other reprobate involved, perhaps what we have here is an armilŪ?

Moi, I guess had the word deep in my passive vocabulary somewhere, maybe from reading The Jewel in the Crown or something. The etymology, as surely y'all know, was purely fanciful.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: POOOEY - 10/09/05 09:43 PM
funda

fun, da? - "All you Russians agree we're having a good time?"
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/11/05 04:20 AM
Come on, people, so far I've only got 4 entries.
Posted By: belMarduk Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/13/05 02:41 PM
Definition sent Monsieur Max.

(bringing this thread back up)
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: SOOOEY - PRONTO - 10/13/05 03:37 PM
Moi aussi.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: SOOOEY - PRONTO - 10/13/05 05:46 PM
Quote:

Moi aussi.

For your sake, I hope not - that's a condition I would scarcely wish on my worst enemy. Thanks for the daffynitions, but.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/13/05 06:23 PM
Quote:

Definition sent Monsieur Max.

(bringing this thread back up)

Thanks, BelM. It's up to 9 now, with a day or three left to go.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/13/05 08:23 PM
Cher Maxi, give it le weekEND, s'il vous plait.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/14/05 12:26 AM
Quote:

Come on, people, so far I've only got 4 entries.

Comin' right up, Max...almost missed this one.

And, gee, just when you happen to score some major points the game gets postponed because of rain...who'd've thought? My heart goes out to you. Really.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/14/05 04:31 AM
I like W-O's avatar but he looks like a squished squatty-body Whitman O'Neill. If his heart really goes out to Max, it is a squished squatty-body heart.
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/14/05 09:32 PM
>> squished squatty body <<

Whoaaa, Father Steve...I've never done mescaline, but I've been told...[roll-eyes-e]
Posted By: nancyk Re: SOOOEY - MACHEN SIE SCHNELL - 10/15/05 12:25 AM
>>I've never done mescaline<<

I just read "masculine" instead of "mescaline."
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: SOOOEY - The end is nigh - 10/15/05 06:15 PM
Just one rotation left before entries close.
© Wordsmith.org