Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Bingley HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 12:14 AM
As per tsuwm's rules 4 & 5:

4. [no] points are awarded to any player who submits a definition which is similar or very close to the correct meaning [rather, the moderator shall request a resubmittal]

5. If two or more players submit a definition per rule 4 (in the judgment of the moderator), the round will be thrown out with no points scored

The correct definition is a type of Indian sabre.

Max submitted:
n. a type of sword. (from Skt.)

AnnaS submitted:
A medieval sword (from Sanskrit tul = tool; war = battle)

Possibly faldage's comment Your words tend to be harder to get a handle on than tsuwm's. is an oblique reference to the meaning.

I came across this word in G. K. Chesterton's Father Brown story "The Quick One":

For Oriental ornament pervaded the new scheme; and where there had once been a gun hung on hooks, and sporting prints and a stuffed fish in a glass case, there were now festoons of Eastern drapery and trophies of scimitars, tulwars and yataghans, as if in unconscious preparation for the coming of the gentleman with the turban.
Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 12:18 AM
Is this the first time a round has been cancelled for this reason, or is it a not-infrequent occurrence that has just happened yataghan?
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 12:33 AM
Quote:

Is this the first time a round has been cancelled for this reason, or is it a not-infrequent occurrence that has just happened yataghan?

It's a stinkng conspiracy that's what it is! Bingley has robbed me of a chance to actualy score a point or two by resorting to some arcane rule. I actually did resubmit another definition, but I guess the Zeroth Law of Hogwash is "that no Quordlepleen is allowed to score at Hogwash, even if preventing this requires the round to be cancelled."
Posted By: inselpeter Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 01:07 AM
Hmm. Most of what I came up with, when I googled "tul" was in Hungarian, sans krit.
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 01:21 AM
Quote:

Hmm. Most of what I came up with, when I googled "tul" was in Hungarian, sans krit.

I took a stab at the word based purely on its phonetic similarity to "talwaar" the Hindi word for any sword. I really had no idea that it WAS the word.
Posted By: Father Steve Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 02:49 AM
So you all will never know just how clever and well thought out my entry really was. Alas.
Posted By: consuelo Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 04:36 AM
So, is someone going to offer up a replacement now that I have my computer rescued from cyberspirit world? It figures, every time I have to be away from here, somebody starts a Hogwash game
Posted By: sjmaxq Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 07:59 AM
Quote:

So you all will never know just how clever and well thought out my entry really was. Alas.

Sorry, Steve, I have no sympathy to spare for those less wronged than mineownself.
Posted By: Marianna Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 11:09 AM
Just my luck too... I'd actually joined this round instead of just lookin' on!
Posted By: Faldage Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 01:33 PM
Hey! At least post the definitions given so we can admire them and maybe guess whose is which!
Posted By: Jackie Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 02:38 PM
happened yataghan
Hungarian, sans krit.
HA! Y'all are good!

Yeah, post the def.'s anyway, please!
Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/08/05 04:58 PM
First time I ever missed a cancelled Hogwash!
Posted By: inselpeter Nay - 10/08/05 07:56 PM
>>post the defs.

The hand was called: Fold (don't show).

P.S. Is "fold" related to "faldage"?
Posted By: Faldage Re: Nay - 10/08/05 08:15 PM
Quote:

Is "fold" related to "faldage"?

"Fold" as in "sheepfold" is. "Fold" as in "withdraw from a game" is not.
Posted By: tsuwm Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/09/05 05:58 PM
Quote:

well, there was this:

tetrapyloctomy was.. a hogwash word at one point, but that round was cancelled because too many people used the right answer as their definition.

..and I think poshlost was proposed but never got off the ground. there were probably others.

NOTE: round 61 is dead; long live round 61.
Posted By: inselpeter Re: Nay - 10/09/05 06:42 PM
Yah, the sheepfold "fold," thanks.
Posted By: Bingley Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/10/05 05:07 AM
The proposed definitions for tulwar received before the round was cancelled are:

a. Tulwar, a city in the Rajasthan state of North Central India, known for porcelain production.

b.a headwrap used by men of the Limpoho tribes in South Africa

c. a kind of agrarian reform through which serfs could be rewarded for yearly increases in production

d. a bowman

e. an instrument for pounding or braying substances in a mortar; a pestle

f.a monster found on or below the 37th Level of the Dungeons of Moria [not nearly as powerful as the Balrog, though]

g. N. A structure, usually of stone, used to control the flow of water from wells and springs.

Entries were submitted by belMarduk, Father Steve, insel, Marianna, max (resubmission), tsuwm, and wofa
Posted By: belMarduk Re: HOGWASH CANCELLED - 10/13/05 02:26 PM
Thanks Bingley. I'd have had trouble deciding on a definition. All the definitions sound so plausible,,, well, except for the Dungeon of Moria one. I would have assumed that the [not nearly as powerful as the Balrog, though] was a "tell". Like a kiddy that keeps babbling on when he's trying to get away with something.
© Wordsmith.org