Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sjmaxq Define "self" - 09/19/05 03:38 AM
A NZ barrister, newly elected to our House of Representatives, and an interesting use of the word "self":

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3414421a14095,00.html

It's certainly not the way I would use "self-define", since those doing the defining are not the person being defined, but maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Define "self" - 09/19/05 05:10 AM
Since Mr Finlayson studied Latin, French and Law he probably feels entitled to re-define words. He seems to mean "define in their own private way". Elsewhere too, an inflationary use of the prefix "self-" is to be observed, e.g. the omnipresent "self-organised".

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Define "self" - 09/19/05 05:26 AM
I would "self-define" him as not particularly good at clear expression:

In reply to:

"I consider myself not a conservative at all. I consider myself a liberal, a liberal conservative."

(e.a.)

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Been there, done that... - 09/19/05 10:16 PM
Nothing so revolutionary here! Strephon, who was half a fairy, did exactly that:

FAIRY QUEEN:.... I've a borough or two at my disposal. Would you like to go into Parliament?

IOLANTHE: A fairy Member! That would be delightful!

STREPHON: I'm afraid I should do no good there - you see, down to the waist, I'm a Tory of the most determined description, but my legs are a couple of confounded Radicals, and, on a division, they'd be sure to take me into the wrong lobby. You see, they're two to one, which is a strong working majority.

QUEEN: Don't let that distress you; you shall be returned as a Liberal-Conservative, and your legs shall be our peculiar care...

-- Iolanthe, Act I (emphasis added)

You don't suppose that the good Mr Finlayson was being simultaneously erudite, clever, and ironic, all rolled into one?

[Edit: And on a more serious note - is that a peculiar use of "peculiar"? It was, after all, over a hundred years ago. from context it means particular and specific.]
Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Been there, done that... - 09/20/05 08:36 AM
>You don't suppose that the good Mr Finlayson was being simultaneously erudite, clever, and ironic, all rolled into one?

I have no issue with the label liberal-conservative, except when it is used immediately following an assertion that he is no sort of conservative at all.

Posted By: musick Re: Been there, done that... - 09/20/05 07:13 PM
I have no issue with the label liberal-conservative..

But would you have an issue with conservative-liberal? Is this an NZ *thing?

Because of the US'ns prevailing *dichotomy having a significant effect, I would have issue with either of thair use... but I suppose I live here. <wink>

Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: Been there, done that... - 09/20/05 07:29 PM
> liberal-conservative..

I think of it as a sort of social/fiscal comparison. Socially liberal, fiscally conservative. As here:
http://www.digitalronin.f2s.com/politicalcompass/

Posted By: musick Re: Been there, done that... - 09/20/05 07:42 PM
Ah... the old apples-oranges issue?! :)

Posted By: Zed Re: Been there, done that... - 09/20/05 10:47 PM
Labels don't mean much here in British Columbia where the liberal party is the far right of our political spectrum. Go figure.

Posted By: wordminstrel Re: Define "self" - 09/21/05 04:21 AM
It's certainly not the way I would use "self-define", since those doing the defining are not the person being defined, but maybe I'm just reading it incorrectly?

"It is not the way anyone would use self-define", says sjmaxq.

But, with respect, that's the point, sjmaxq.

This individual is trying to say something quotable. You don't say something quotable by saying something everyone else says.

You say something everyone else doesn't say.

That's how you get quoted.

Savvy politician.

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: Define "self" - 09/21/05 04:57 AM
In reply to:

"It is not the way anyone would use self-define", says sjmaxq.

Generally I find the key to enjoying this board is to ignore your excistence to greatest extent possible, but I shall deviate from this blissful self-deception for a moment. You have posted another steaming pile of your usual self-important "look how clever and insightful I am" merde, and have done so by clumsily and deliberately misquoting me. I definitely did NOT say the words you attribute to me above. Entertain yourself with your own sagacity if you must, and pat yourself on the back for your witty profundity by all means (after all, no one else will), but DO NOT misquote me to do so.

Posted By: robert holland To New Members - 09/21/05 11:03 AM
"Wordminstrel" is still another of the sock puppets (or alternate handles) more numerous than the stars of a dreary night sky of an individual who has been banned by management from this board for flagrant abuse.
© Wordsmith.org