Wordsmith.org
etaoin, on another thread, sez: sod is "a term I have used to describe an overhanging belly."

I guess the most common terms in the Upper Left Corner of the United States for this growth are beer belly or beer gut and spare tire. Others?

Front porch.

Pot belly.

Paunch.

FABIAN: I wish I had a pot.
BUTCH: You were lookin' in the mirror and you wish you had some pot?
FABIAN: A pot. A pot belly. Pot bellies are sexy.
BUTCH: Well you should be happy, 'cause you do.
FABIAN: Shut up, Fatso! I don't have a pot! I have a bit of a tummy, like Madonna when she did "Lucky Star," it's not the same thing.
BUTCH: I didn't realize there was a difference between a tummy and a pot belly.
FABIAN: The difference is huge.
BUTCH: You want me to have a pot?
FABIAN: No. Pot bellies make a man look either oafish, or like a gorilla. But on a woman, a pot belly is very sexy. The rest of you is normal. Normal face, normal legs, normal hips, normal ass, but with a big, perfectly round pot belly. If I had one, I'd wear a tee-shirt two sizes too small to accentuate it.

~Pulp Fiction.

abdominous

> abdominous

as in the abdominous snowman?

>> abdominous

as in the abdominous snowman?

Yeti digresses!

I saw a doctor's note referring to a patient's "pendulous, protuberant panus". Rather larger than a beer belly though.

I LOVE the word "abdominus." In intend to use it henceforth with great frequency. I will use it to correct those shallow, myopic, unlettered persons who think that I am fat. "Not fat," I will respond," but abdominus." I think it is especially fitting for a cleric, in that the "dominus" part of it sounds ecclesiastical.

In reply to:

"Not fat," I will respond," but abdominus."

If you replied to "Are you fat?" with "Lord no, I'm abdominus", would that make you Father TEd?

would that make you Father TEd?

No, he's the fellow on Craggy Island.

"Hello, I'm Ted, and that over there is Father Dougal and the fella up there with foul mouth is Father Jack."

http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/comedy/microsites/F/fatherted/

Love-handles is a pot belly sideways, na?

>>Love-handles is a pot belly sideways, na?<<

But more gripping.

*snerk*

In the great lakes states, it's called a spare tire, or more frequently, a dunlap, not only because Dunlap makes tires, but "because yore belly dunlap over yore belt."

A panniculectomy is known as a lap job, though, rather than a dunlap job.

I don't recall hearing either term since moving to Pennsylvania.

-----
Words fail me. (Turnabout is fair play.)
Here in Wisconsin, we have ample subjects for extensive research in this area. Our clinical research center in Euphemia, WI designates this as the Dunlop syndrome, i.e. a condition where the belly dun lop over the belt.

I think it is especially fitting for a cleric, in that the "dominus" part of it sounds ecclesiastical.

So sensitive are complacent clergy to the condition described that the Latin rite contains a reminder of a main cause: Abdominus fo' biscuits.

© Wordsmith.org