Wordsmith.org
Posted By: belligerentyouth calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 11:24 AM
Are these misspellings of 'calendric' and 'calendrical' respectively or alternatives? 'Calendaric' gets over 12k of goohits which is a few - almost half of the 26k 'calendric' gets - but that is probably not an astounding statistic for words that are long or have odd spellings, I guess.

BTW, I like calendrical rather than calendric for the flow of that extra syllable before the noun, and noted that 'calendrical' has been used on the board thrice whereas calendric has not been used at all - but Goolgle paints a different picture of their relative popularity.

Posted By: of troy Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 02:25 PM
OK, this is one i had to look up.

i still have trouble with calendar and calender.
One is from the latin, (calends) for the first day of the month, the other from the greek, kylindein, (to roll) -which also gives use cylinder.
(to calender paper it to roll (between heavy rollers) to make it smooth and glossy.

Calendar's (especially one with pretty pictures,) are often printed on calender paper.
(i know, not on topic...)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 03:53 PM
there must be a mnemonic for calendar/calender?

(and for that matter, desert/dessert/desert)

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 05:33 PM
won't help me, I have a memory like a sieve...

Posted By: Zed Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 06:50 PM
seive

No mnemonic for dates and seives but I was taught that you want two helpings of dessert but once in the desert is enough.

Posted By: of troy Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 07:09 PM
Yeah, seive/sieve is why i drain my pasta in a colender!

i remember dessert (an extra helping of S)vs desert with the same trick, but calendar/calender i have to look up.

but calendarical is like cylinderical.. so i think i like it better..
(and better still if its a perpetual calendar that is cylinderical!)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/25/05 07:09 PM
I was taught that you want two helpings of dessert but once in the desert is enough.

I wuzz gonna say that.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc bank shot - 08/26/05 12:35 AM
... drain my pasta in a colender

I thought that was the one who advanced me second half of the money
(as opposed to the second one helping the plane touch down at the airport)

Posted By: Jackie Re: calendaric, calendarical - 08/26/05 11:17 AM
mnemonic for calendar/calender? Um...remember a date if you dare; and if you calender a paper too fast it will whirl like a dervish?

© Wordsmith.org