Wordsmith.org
Posted By: ujwalm Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 03:39 AM
There is a very nice word describing a person who is too concerned about being a perfectionist. I had once read it somewhere, thought my grey cells would be effective enough and didn't write it down.

Could someone please help?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 04:31 AM
Anankastic?

(Oh, I'll just be SO UPSET if I get this wrong!)

Posted By: musick Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 04:12 PM
Atychiphobic?

Posted By: ujwalm Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 04:17 PM
Anankastic is more of a compulsive disorder. Could probably be of any type.

Ever so elusive the word is!!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 05:47 PM
>too concerned about being a perfectionist.

from the Wonderful World of Pantophobia:
atelophobia - the fear of error or imperfection [fr. Gk atelos, imperfect]

hence, atelophobe - the driven perfectionist; one with a morbid fear of having things less than perfect

Posted By: Jackie Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 06:57 PM
Atelophobe--sounds like somebody who's afraid of telephones!

Posted By: WhitmanO'Neill Re: Perfectionist? - 08/13/05 11:52 PM
...afraid of telephones!

Or antelopes.

Posted By: Father Steve Atelophobe - 08/14/05 12:37 AM
Once upon a time, back in about the 5th Century, there were fierce tribes of Mongol horsemen who rode across what is now Europe, raping and sacking and pillaging and generally having a very good time at the expense of the local residents. Several of their leaders became famous in the sense that they were feared by Western Europeans who did not wish to be raped, sacked and pillaged. One of these was Atelo, a descendant of Atilla, and the fear of him was so widespread and intense that 5th Century psychiatrists defined it in their diagnostic manual as atelophobia.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Atelophobe - 08/14/05 01:27 AM
there's little doubt that atelophobes everywhere are avoiding this thread as though it were the plague.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Atelophobe - 08/14/05 02:30 AM
Sorry, sorry, esp. to you, ujwalm; not a very nice thing to do to a new post-er*--my bad! (Although I did note that your question had in fact been answered, or so I thought.) I guess I won't tell you what Father Steve's Skywalker post reminded me of...

*I still refuse to call a person a poster.

Posted By: amnow Re: Atelophobe - 08/14/05 04:48 PM
"Poster" seems better than being called a poseur, dundit?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Atelophobe - 08/14/05 07:50 PM
If ujwalm is not slightly amused, or, worse, is offended by the off-thread gibberish which has occupied a part of this thread, then he/she may have a difficult time on this board. Because we are unmoderated, there is always an opportunity for silly business to distract us from our avowed purpose of discussing lexicology. I knew a young fellow once who was strongly attracted to the study of theology and, being of a philosophical bent, was pretty good at it. He decided to go to seminary and was ordained. I asked him a few years later how it was going and he gave me a mixed response. He told me that he "loved the church" but "was sick of the people in it."

Posted By: Faldage Re: Atelophobe - 08/14/05 09:34 PM
he "loved the church" but "was sick of the people in it."

Customer service department I used to work in had the motto:

"We could have a great business here if it weren't for all the pesky customers."

Posted By: Sparteye College life - 08/14/05 11:00 PM
It's just like college -- how great would it be without the classes?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: College life - 08/14/05 11:26 PM
"Working at a University is Great... Except for the Students "

http://pittsburghcitypaper.ws/scripts/printIt.cfm?ref=560

"The Perfect Job, Except for the Students"

http://chronicle.com/jobs/2003/10/2003100101c.htm

Posted By: Bingley Re: Perfectionist? - 08/15/05 05:20 AM
In reply to:

from the Wonderful World of Pantophobia:
atelophobia - the fear of error or imperfection [fr. Gk atelos, imperfect]

hence, atelophobe - the driven perfectionist; one with a morbid fear of having things less than perfect

In the interests of any lurking atelophobes, I should point out that the online LSJ does not have an entry for atelos but for atelhs (where h = eta), and judging by the entry http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus:text:1999.04.0057:entry=#17008 atelhs does not seem to have meant imperfect in the sense of without error anyway.

Edit: On checking again, I see the LSJ also has ateleios, which is simply cross-referenced to atelhs.

Bingley

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Perfectionist? - 08/15/05 01:12 PM
But Greek ατελης (atele:s) seems to be derived from τελος (telos), there being no *τελης (tele:s). The meaning of atele:s is more incomplete or unfinished than blemished. One meaning of telos is tax, so a meaning of atele:s is 'free or exempt from tax, tribute, or tithe'. So, this pretend word atelophobe could just as likely mean 'fear of being taxfree'.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Perfectionist? - 08/15/05 02:30 PM
okay, you Greek word gods ;) -- take it up with Charles H. Elster. atelophobia is in his There's a Word for It! [Scribner, 1996].

(and we may never know if it's the word that ujwalm was thinking of..)

<shrug>

Posted By: tsuwm ..and from the OED - 08/15/05 03:27 PM
comb. form of Gr. ατελης imperfect, f. α priv.* + telos end, completion; used in many mod. L. terms of physiology, indicating some structural imperfection, as ateloglossia, imperfect development or malformation of the tongue; -gnathia, of the jaws; -myelia, of the spinal marrow; -stomia, of the mouth.

* <shaking head> privative - Having the quality of depriving; tending to take away.
Posted By: Jackie Re: Perfectionist? - 08/15/05 05:32 PM
Welcome, zmjezhd; where is R'lyeh, please?

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Perfectionist? - 08/15/05 05:49 PM
Thank you, Jackie. R'lyeh is mid-atlantic place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R'lyeh

Posted By: Jackie Re: Perfectionist? - 08/16/05 01:23 AM
zmjezhd, come here a minute, will you? I have something special for people who trick me... wink

Posted By: zmjezhd Re: Perfectionist? - 08/16/05 02:04 AM
something special

Sorry, Ms Jackie, but I'm spoken for.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Perfectionist? - 08/16/05 02:09 AM
Dang, he didn't fall for it! Hrmph.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Perfectionist? - 08/16/05 04:33 AM
In reply to:

But Greek ατελης (atele:s) seems to be derived from τελος (telos), there being no *τελης (tele:s).

Oh, certainly. I'm not denying that there is a form compounded from the privative alpha and telos, just saying that the form is atelhs rather than the quoted *atelos.

In fact, all the compounds that I can find in the LSJ where telos is the final element seem to have telhs.

Edit. Blast. Copying and pasting doesn't preserve the Greek. How do you get it to show on this board?

Bingley

© Wordsmith.org