Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Anonymous wreaked/wrought - 02/23/01 07:55 PM
For some reason i can never remember if the proper pronunciation of "wreak" is as in 'wreck' or 'reek', so i finally took the time to look it up today and was surprised to find this usage NB from Atomica:

"USAGE NOTE: Wreak is sometimes confused with wreck,
perhaps because the wreaking of damage may leave a wreck:
The storm wreaked (not wrecked) havoc along the coast. The
past tense and past participle of wreak is wreaked, not
wrought, which is an alternative past tense and past
participle of work."

i *know* i've seen 'wrought' used erroneously to indicate the past tense of wreak before, and would've thought it correct myself, as an alternative to 'wreaked'.

Atomica shed light, for me, on the entymology of wrought iron (which is, much to my amusement, almost *always* listed as "rot iron" in the local for-sale ads); wrought iron is simply iron that has been *worked* into decorative patterns.

My question, then, is this: What other usage can be made of the word "wrought"? surely it would not be syntactically correct to say "I wrought three hours on that project", right?

Posted By: wwh Re: wreaked/wrought - 02/23/01 08:03 PM
"What hath God wrought?" used as first message on Morse telegraphy, I think.

Posted By: of troy Re: wreaked/wrought - 02/23/01 08:15 PM
wrought (or worked) iron-- something you'd get from what used to be your smithy-- but now in NY is done by Iron workers (Unionized name)

Most iron workers build buildings-- but you can still go to a local iron monger to get a custom made iron picket fence or window gates.

(why is iron sold by a monger-- what is a monger--- off i go to dictionary.....)

Posted By: wwh Re: wreaked/wrought - 02/23/01 08:22 PM
When your kids trash your house, you may find yourself not only over worked, but overwrought.

Posted By: wwh Re: monger - 02/23/01 08:29 PM
A peddler,usually combined with name of his wares, from fishmonger to whoremonger.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: monger - 02/23/01 09:56 PM
my favorite monger is the costermonger...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: wreaked/wrought - 02/23/01 10:04 PM
>What other usage can be made of the word "wrought"?

::takes deep breath::

I. †1. a. Created; shaped, moulded. Obs.
b. That is made or constructed by means of labour or art; fashioned, formed.
Cf. OE. hand-worht, = mod. E. ‘hand-wrought’.
c. Shaped, fashioned, or finished from the rough or crude material; cut.

†2. Artificial; specially prepared. Obs.

3. a. Of textile materials, esp. silk: Manufactured; spun. (Cf. raw a. 2a.)

b. Decorated or ornamented, as with needlework; elaborated, embellished, embroidered.

c. Of leather, etc.: Prepared by dressing; dressed.

d. Of articles: Made, manufactured, or prepared for use or commerce.

4. a. Of metals: Beaten out or shaped with the hammer or other tools.

b. wrought iron, slag-bearing malleable iron (see iron n.1 1 and malleable a. 1).

c. Of metal-work: Made by hammering or hand-work (in contrast to cast).

†5. transf. Worked up; rough; agitated. Obs.

6. a. Of coal: Hewn from the bed or seam; won.

b. Dug; moved by digging, etc.

7. Of animals: Employed in labour; worked.

II. With adverbs.

8. wrought-off, worked off; printed.

9. wrought-up, stirred up; excited or stimulated; enlivened.

Posted By: wwh Re: monger - 02/24/01 12:19 AM
Dear tsuwm: your mention of costermonger made me think of several articles I saw long ago about there being a large group of London Cockney costermongers who wore shirts very elaborately decorated with hundreds and hundreds of mother-of-pearl buttons.It would be interesting if you could give more details on this.(I hope I am not mistaken.)

Posted By: tsuwm Re: monger - 02/24/01 12:59 AM
here you are, bill -- the pic isn't the biggest...
http://www.britannia.com/travel/london/cockney/pearly.html

Posted By: Capital Kiwi Re: monger - 02/24/01 01:20 AM
I was in Lunnon in 1998 and went dahn Levvuh Layne (Leather Lane) market on my way to spend the day in the Tate Gallery. I bought something at a costermonger's barrow. I was tickled pink to see that she had on-line Visa access. The line went from her stall, under some boxes by the wall of a building before snaking up three stories and through a partly-open window.

I asked her whether stallholders did well during the working week. She replied "I ain't no stallholder, luv, I'm a costermonger." I refrained from asking if that made the dog under her barrow a costermongrel ...

Posted By: tsuwm Re: monger - 02/26/01 02:31 AM
bill, the OED has three-hundred and eighteen (318) entries for 'monger', but the best one, by far, (after costermonger) is:
wordmonger - one who deals in words, esp. in strange or pedantic words, or in empty words without sense or substance. Orig. contemptuous.

-tsuwm (the supremely unipotent word monger)

Posted By: Marty Re: wreaked/wrought - 02/28/01 02:01 AM
This doesn't exactly advance the discussion of the word 'wrought', but I just had to share it with you.

I recently came across this name for a local wrought iron business:

Ironic Twist

© Wordsmith.org