Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Oh Lucy! Oh Rickey! - 08/11/05 04:04 AM
In another thread, TEd sez: I suggest that you can cure it by drinking a lime rickey.

A Lime Rickey is an alcoholic drink concocted of fresh-squeezed lime juice (never bottled), simple syrup (made of sugar and water), gin or rum, Angostura bitters and club soda. It is traditionally served in a Collins glass and is often garnished with a spiral or twist of lime peel (to prove that the lime juice in it was fresh-squeezed, perhaps). It is related to the Cuban mojito which includes similar ingredients but may also include mint leaves and/or fresh chile peppers.

What do you suppose makes it a "rickey"?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Oh Lucy! Oh Rickey! - 08/11/05 09:14 AM
Onelook says it's probably from a person's name.

I did a google on Liam Rickey and came up blank.

Posted By: of troy Re: Oh Lucy! Oh Rickey! - 08/13/05 12:57 PM
in NYC, when i was a child, a lime rickey was a fountion soda drink--(green lime syrup and soda)--likely related to a cocktail of the same name.. but i've never heard of the cocktail. only the soda!

According to the Association of Canadian Distillers, the lime rickey was named after Colonel Joe Rickey -- a Washington, DC, lobbyist.

According to Bombay Sapphire (the people who make the gin), the lime rickey was named for Colonel Jim Rickey, by the barman at Shoemaker's restaurant in Washington, DC, around 1900.

According to Jack Townsed, the chairman of the New York Bartender's Guild, in his book The Bartender's Book, the lime rickey was created by the bartender in Shoemaker's Restautant in Washington, DC. The first customer to order this new cocktail was a lobbyist without military rank known as Colonel Jim Rickey, despite the fact that his name was Joe. Townsend says that, at the turn of the century, Shoemaker's was known as "the Third Room of the Congress" and that the drink was named after Rickey by thirsty congressmen

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/16/05 10:51 PM
According to Bombay Sapphire (the people who make the gin)...

...If the city of Bombay is now known more "properly" as Mumbai, then does Bombay Gin change its name accordingly? Should it? Shouldn't it?

Posted By: johnjohn Re: Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/16/05 11:19 PM
...And why do we all refer to Burma as Burma*? Is it just to annoy the military junta?
jj

Edit: (*ie. not Myanmar)
Posted By: TEd Remington Myanmar - 08/17/05 12:13 AM
Because Burma Shave sounds so much better than Myanmar Shadow (Remover.)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/17/05 01:06 AM
Peking may be Beijing but there is no such thing as Beijing Duck.

Vienna may be Wien but there is no such thing as Wien sausages (in little cans with pull-off-able lids)

Posted By: of troy Re: Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/17/05 01:37 AM
and 6th Avenue is 6th Avenue, not The Avenue of the Americas

Posted By: Faldage Re: Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/17/05 10:03 AM
there is no such thing as Wien sausages (in little cans with pull-off-able lids)

But there is wieners.

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Flagrant hijack. Sorry. - 08/17/05 03:43 PM
And there is certainly "Wienerschnitzel" (he added cuttingly) Schnitzel being cutlets, as I recall

© Wordsmith.org