Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn seamstress - 07/21/05 12:44 AM
I'm looking for a word that is the adjectival form from seamstress, or of or related to sewing, etc. The more obscure the better, it's for a mock-pompous message "Thank you for all your ___________ advice and assistance"
jj

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: seamstress - 07/21/05 01:08 AM
how about couturieristic?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: seamstress - 07/21/05 03:03 AM
Sartorial?

Posted By: plutarch Re: seamstress - 07/21/05 10:56 AM
"Thank you for all your ___________ advice and assistance" jj

Thank you for being such a purl when I needed a seamstress.

Or if that's too ambivalent:

"Thank you for all your knitwitted advice and assistance." [And don't forget to add a smiley as though it were just a bad joke]

Posted By: Jackie Re: seamstress - 07/22/05 01:08 AM
G'day, mate! Lovely to see you again! <grin> How 'bout this one? It even sounds mocking:

huswife

(n.) A case for sewing materials. See Housewife.

(n.) A female housekeeper; a woman who manages domestic affairs; a thirfty woman.

(n.) A worthless woman; a hussy.

(v. t.) To manage with frugality; -- said of a woman.

(This definition is from the 1913 Webster's Dictionary and may be outdated.)

Posted By: johnjohn Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 02:01 AM
couturieristic seems to be almost the "correct" word, but to me it doesn't seem right, possibly cos these days couture is mostly teamed with "haute".

Posted By: johnjohn Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 02:06 AM
...also that and srtorial seem to connote more tailoring and dressmaking skills, rather than repairs and alterations, which is what I was really looking for.

PS Jackie thanks for those, not brave enough to call my friend a "hussy" even if it's meant well!!!!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 02:44 AM
seamstressy, seamstressing (nonce-word)

: )

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 12:01 PM
I'd suggest "seamstressly" - probably a nonce-word, but it's in line with "housewifely" etc.

Posted By: Zed Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 06:48 PM
Tailoristic/Tailorettistic??

Posted By: johnjohn Re: seamstress - 07/26/05 11:32 PM
I think you come closest Elizabeth with "seamstressly" - easy to read, though difficult to say. Interesting that "housewifely" uses the adverbial -ly formation. (Are there other examples of adjectival formations that do this? I can think of "likely")

Good Dr Bill suggests via PM using an eponym from a famous couturier(e) but I think that runs into connotations of haute-ness again.

Thanks all - if this board doesn't come up with the perfect word, it don't exist!

Posted By: plutarch Re: seamstress - 07/28/05 02:56 AM
if this board doesn't come up with the perfect word, it don't exist!

You flatter us overmuch, johnjohn.

You don't need a name for a seamstress.

You need a name for the stitch she has left you in.

Posted By: maverick Re: seamstress - 07/29/05 08:52 AM
Following a variant of tsuwm's thoughts, I would suggest sempstressy for your consideration, johnjohn - this was brought to mind after coming across the deliberate period-piece of 'sempstress' this week in a novel by Philippa Gregory.

http://machaut.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/WEBSTER.sh?WORD=sempstressy

Posted By: Jackie Re: Philippa Gregory - 07/29/05 03:19 PM
Now, why have I heard of her? I don't think I've read anything by her...
Good to see you mav! [hug] Whatcha readin', if you don't mind saying?

Posted By: maverick Re: Philippa Gregory - 07/29/05 05:04 PM
Thanks, J :)

She writes excellently characterised historically rooted fiction, sometimes unfairly demeaned by a 'chicklit' label. Her ear for dialoguue is good. Her two novels about Tradescant are wonderful (The Virgin Earth and sumtin else!) and her novels about the court of Henry 8 and the rise to power of his daughters Mary and Elizabeth are superb, imho. The ones I am reading now are a trio set around the times of the Great Enclosures - good background, but a bit too much rippped bodice for my taste.

The bonus to a cracking yarn is that each book has at least one unusual usage that gets me off on a bit of research....!

© Wordsmith.org