Wordsmith.org
Posted By: abigail anoctothorpe - 07/02/05 10:02 AM
I'd like to know if anyone knows the meaning and etymology of the word "anoctothorpe". I think it's the # sign but I'm not sure.

Posted By: Faldage Re: anoctothorpe - 07/02/05 10:20 AM
# is just octothorpe far's I know. Going a-googling I find 121 hits for anoctothorpe and 19,100 for octothorpe. Among the most authoritative of the latter I submit for your consideration:

http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-oct1.htm

Weighing in for the former what looks like the best is this from the snopes message board (Useless fact [sic] #94) and it's none too supportive if you read on down the replies:

http://msgboard.snopes.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=47;t=000401;p=1

Posted By: plutarch Re: anoctothorpe - 07/02/05 11:33 AM
Abigail, I would argue that if a cumbersome, obscure word like "anoctothorpe" or "octothorpe" has become supplanted in ordinary usage for decades by a term like "pound sign" or "number sign" or "hash mark" or "square", it is best not to disturb their remains.

Each has died a natural and entirely deserving death and whoever perturbed you by exhuming "anoctothorpe" is doing no-one a service.

Some obsolete words have interesting histories and some bear themselves in repose with grace and dignity.

These words are obscure both in usage and history and they are ungainly to boot.

So let's send these ghastly curmudgeons back to the grave, Abigail. Shall we? :)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: anoctothorpe - 07/02/05 05:03 PM
The assertion that "octothorpe" was made up by a guy working for Bell Labs named Don MacPherson.

http://www.sigtel.com/tel_tech_octothorpe.html

This is one of the three source stories cited by Michael Quinion in his column on the subject.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: anoctothorpe - 07/02/05 05:05 PM
anoctothorpe..

I would have thought that this was pretty obviously a typo of "an octothorpe" -- I trust that this was pointed out by someone in Faldo's second link!?

-ron o.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Ann Octothorpe - 07/02/05 05:13 PM
noc, noc...

Posted By: wofahulicodoc Re: Ann Octothorpe - 07/02/05 11:01 PM
Interestingly that was my the subject of my very first post back in August 2001...
http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?cat=&Board=words&Number=36166

and a quick search of the Board shows another four earlier posts, no less...

Posted By: abigail Re: anoctothorpe - 07/03/05 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone for the help. As to what tsuwm said, I think it's plausible but I have seen "anoctothorpe" around more often; does that make it an accepted alternative spelling (perhaps like "color" vs "colour")? Thank you wofahulicodoc, Father Steve and Faldage for those links, that was really interesting!

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind." –Rudyard Kipling
Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: anoctothorpe - 07/03/05 08:54 AM
> I think it's plausible but I have seen "anoctothorpe" around more often;

Really? You've seen "anoctothorpe" more often than "an octothorpe"? That would be very surprising, given their respective Google hit ratios, as quoted by Faldage above. I had never seen "anoctothorpe" until your initial post, and automatically assumed it to be a simple case of a missing space.

Posted By: abigail Re: anoctothorpe - 07/03/05 09:40 AM
Maybe it is a case of a missing space. I think perhaps more people encounter the wrong spelling; I read from one of the links that it's a circulating email, "useless facts". So it's likely that the original was a typo and people like me assume that it's the right spelling.
Posted By: Vernon Compton Re: anoctothorpe - 07/03/05 10:24 AM
Sorry, I must have failed to make myself clear. What surprised me was your statement that "perhaps more people encounter the wrong spelling". As Faldage's Google hit count shows, "anoctothorpe" is A LOT less common online than "octothorpe".

Posted By: Faldage Re: anoctothorpe - 07/03/05 12:43 PM
people like me assume that it's the right spelling.

Just a hint:

Don't assume that traveling emails, particularly those labeled "Useless Facts", bear any relation to reality.

Posted By: abigail Re: anoctothorpe - 07/06/05 01:46 PM
Well I'm not sure about that, then. For myself, I've never encountered "octothorpe" before this, but have seen "anoctothorpe" several times.
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: anoctothorpe - 07/06/05 06:21 PM
And all through this thread I've been thinking that an anoctothorpe could be an octothorpe with all its little thorpes missing - in other words, a teeny, tiny square.

Posted By: Bingley Re: anoctothorpe - 07/08/05 05:15 AM
It could be one where all the little thorpes light up at night, a noctothorpe

Bingley
Posted By: wsieber Re: anoctothorpe - 07/08/05 06:38 AM
little thorpes light up at night, a noctothorpe
great!

Posted By: Sparteye proctothorpe - 07/08/05 06:41 PM
And a proctothorpe is ... well ...

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: proctothorpe - 07/08/05 06:48 PM
quick! call Dr. Thorpe!

Posted By: Sparteye Re: proctothorpe - 07/08/05 07:02 PM
Call him what?

Posted By: maverick Re: proctothorpe - 07/08/05 09:04 PM
A paean in the arts?

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: what hymn said... - 07/08/05 09:29 PM
heh. good one, mav.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: proctothorpe - 07/11/05 01:21 PM
And a proctothorpe is ... well ...

haptic?

Posted By: Sparteye Re: proctothorpe - 07/12/05 12:20 AM
And a proctothorpe is ....

the butt of all jokes.

*rimshot*

Posted By: Jackie Re: proctothorpe - 07/12/05 01:11 AM
Ohmigawd!

Posted By: maverick Re: proctothorpe - 07/12/05 08:30 AM
> *rimshot*

indeed!

Posted By: wow Re: proctothorpe - 07/14/05 01:39 PM
Don't assume that traveling emails, particularly those labeled "Useless Facts", bear any relation to reality.

Yup! I keep getting them, and posting them, and getting shot down. But I persist against the tide!
Those are some wildly good new definitions -- isn't there a contest for new definitions that they should be entered in, somewhere. One of those ones I post and then learn they are three years old and everybody has already heard them?
But I persist!

Posted By: Faldage Re: proctothorpe - 07/14/05 11:15 PM
But I persist!

Cost benefit ratio, good priestess.

© Wordsmith.org