Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Rainmaker utilize - 06/22/05 06:27 PM
A while back, y'all had a nice discussion on incentivize (the ugly little word). That was pretty straightforward.
This one is more difficult, as it is an established word - just one I have a problem with.

I'd like your thoughts: why is "utilize" ever needed when "use" would do? I think it is way over utilized and drives me crazy (admittedly, a short trip...)!!

While I doubt we can actually do anything about it, I would like your thoughts.

R

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: utilize - 06/22/05 06:28 PM
See here for the 'incentivize' discussion:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=147144

R

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: utilize - 06/22/05 06:50 PM
Rainman, here's a little trick some of us have learned over the years: go back and chop off your link like below and it'll still point to the same place, plus it won't widen the screen:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=147144

I think utilize goes a little farther, it implies using something to its fullest extent?

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: utilize - 06/22/05 07:11 PM
Rainmaker please, that darned movie ruined the other one for me...

And thanks for the tip - I have much to learn from the masters.

I think your point is the popular one, and why it is overused (overutilized?). I did find one discussion on this in my old and tattered American Heritage:

"A number of critics have remarked that utilize is an unneccessary substitute for use...but utilize can mean 'to find a profitable or practical use for.' Thus the sentence The teachers were unable to use the computers might mean the teachers were unable to turn them on, whereas The teachers were unable to utilize the computers suggests the teachers could not find a use for them."

I don't buy it, but at least using utilize this way would decrease its usage. I would prefer saying the teachers could not find a use for the computers...

Thanks again!

Posted By: maverick Re: utilize - 06/22/05 09:46 PM
yeahbut if there was one task they could use them for but another for which the machines would be inutile, it would be more accurately nuanced to say "the teachers could not utilise the computers for the second task..."

In other words, the difference for me is the suggestion of fitness for purpose, whereas use merely says something about an action undertaken or not. I know what you mean about some of the over-usage, but I think it can yield a useful extra level of utility compared with the mundane use ;)

Posted By: Bingley Re: utilize - 06/23/05 05:30 AM
In reply to:

Rainmaker please, that darned movie ruined the other one for me...

Another film:
http://www.filmfestivalrotterdam.com/en/film/30973.html

Apparently it's just won the award for best Asian producer at the Shanghai Film Festival. (Actually, a more literal translation of the title would be "Dry Season Dream")

Bingley

Posted By: Faldage Re: utilize - 06/23/05 10:45 AM
a little trick some of us have learned over the years

You can practice this little tip right here in this very thread. Go
back to your opening post and click on the little icon next to the
Reply icon. You'll see this icon only on your own posts. This will
put you in Edit mode and you can lop off the unnecessary part of the
long url that is making this thread such a pain in the scroll for many
of us.

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: utilize - 06/23/05 05:09 PM
Once again, thank you for the info - if this was posted in FAQ then I just missed it...

Done.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Posted By: of troy Re: utilize - 06/23/05 09:43 PM
the FAQ is a good place to start, but there are several thread in I & A with links to a collection of tips..

most of us set our profile to be able to view 99 post at atime.. (it load faster if you use dial up) --most of don't still use dial up..BUT
it also make it easier to look up old threads.. (since often page 2 or 3 of an old topic won't load.)

so it follows, we don't go past 99 or 100 (because these post would be on page 2 if your preferences are set to view 99 posts..)

Some people think we are being arbitary with ending thread at 100 (they are often continued in a new thread!--so its not as if we close down the topic) we just make it easier for us (and every one who joins) to be able to read/find/refer to old topics, if needed.

None of the 'tricks' we use are rocket science--but there is also no reason for you to have to re-invent the wheel--you can read the collective hints and tricks and use any that you want..

you can learn how to do ligitures, and type Ęsop--or you can type Aesop.

we have fun with characters, and white text.. and other stuff. but we don't keep our tricks a secret!

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: utilize - 06/23/05 10:25 PM
Helen,

A native NY's (sans the accent) with the looks to start a war...

Wow. We gotta meet!

I am off to read the 'tricks and hints'. I'm a fast study - watch out!

Again, thanks to all for such a great site - wish I had known years ago...

Rm (LR)

PS: cable modem for me (old beta tester).

Posted By: Faldage Re: utilize - 06/23/05 10:30 PM
Just a note on the 99 posts thing. At post 100 it starts a new thread, BUT, the number of posts listed is the number of replies, so the number to watch for under the Replies heading is really 98.

Posted By: Jackie Re: utilize - 06/24/05 02:47 AM
old beta tester Hmm--and just which word does 'old' modify, eh?

Posted By: Faldage Re: utilize - 06/24/05 10:21 AM
which word does 'old' modify, eh?

Metacontext, Jackie, metacontext. There are no old betas.

Posted By: Jackie Re: no old betas - 06/24/05 01:48 PM

But, but--in this instance, shouldn't you have put betacontext...?

Posted By: tsuwm Re: utilize - 06/24/05 02:58 PM
>There are no old betas.

maybe. the Google News logo has been marked BETA for at least a couple of years.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: utilize - 06/27/05 01:24 PM
I think utilize goes a little farther, it implies using something to its fullest extent?
I understand it to mean "to use something for a purpose for which it was not originally intended". My favourite example is that I use a garlic press in the kitchen, but I also utilize one in the studio to shape clay.

As for your thought, AnnaS, I once suggested to a fellow who told me this same definition:
"So if someone has sex with you once, you've been used, but if they have sex with you three times, you've been utilized?" He didn't get it.

Posted By: Rainmaker Re: utilize - 06/27/05 02:39 PM
In reply to:

I understand it to mean "to use something for a purpose for which it was not originally intended"

Ah, then if these be true, I stand by my original thoughts - that utilize is excessively used - and is, in fact, utilized (for which it was not intended).

© Wordsmith.org