Wordsmith.org
Posted By: sdorr Namesti - 06/12/05 04:50 AM
I knew of the Hindu greeting "Namaste"
Just find out how common "Namesti" is on street signs in CZ.

Anyone know the etymology of the words and whether they are related?

SD

Posted By: carpathian Re: Namesti - 06/12/05 12:06 PM
Anyone know the etymology of the words and whether they are related?

It appears that "Namesti" means "Square" or other prominent public gathering place in Prague, for instance, "Staromestske namesti" for "Old Old Town Square", or "Vaclavske namesti" for "Wenceslas Square", or "Namesti Republiky" for "Prague Metro Stations".

It is insightful of you to connect "Namesti" with the Hindu greeting "Namaste", but the connection is probably coincidental.

Posted By: Bingley Re: Namesti - 06/13/05 03:58 AM
Although I am willing to bow to almost anyone's superior knowledge of Czech, somehow I doubt that Namesti Republiky means Prague Metro Stations.

Bingley
Posted By: Father Steve Re: Namesti - 06/13/05 05:06 AM
I have read two novels by Karel Capek but both of them in English translation which doesn't exactly qualify me as an expert in the Czech language.

But Namesti Republiky is not precisely the name of a train station in Prague. It means "Republic Square" and is the physical location (on the square) of a main train stop.

Posted By: maverick Re: pestilenceslas - 06/13/05 08:41 AM
What's the Czech for "idiot"?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: pestilenceslas - 06/13/05 12:13 PM
Maverick, my son, wherein have I offended thee?

Posted By: maverick Re: pestilenceslas - 06/13/05 12:17 PM
nay, father, never thee! Sorry for the ambiguity.

Posted By: carpathian Re: Namesti - 06/13/05 07:35 PM
It means "Republic Square" and is the physical location (on the square) of a main train stop.

Thanks for the clarification, Father Steve.

re "What's the Czech for 'idiot'?":

That remark was unleashed with such profligate abandon, it's hard to comprehend the target, if, in fact, there was a target -- but chances are it was aimed at me, for reasons extraneous to the merits of my post, and not at you.

Please forgive the distraction.

This sort of behavior doesn't disturb me, but it may perplex innocent newcomers who come here expecting intelligent discussion.

Posted By: Alex Williams check for an idiot - 06/13/05 07:40 PM
What's the Czech for an idiot?
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X6B32514B

Posted By: carpathian the Czech's in the mail - 06/13/05 08:32 PM
What's the Czech for an idiot?

Very clever, Alex Williams.

Which/Who is the "idiot" you are referring to? The one with the higher or lower salary?

[I hasten to add that I have no opinion on this subject personally.]

© Wordsmith.org