Wordsmith.org
Posted By: imp Nationalities? - 05/20/05 09:34 PM
How do we decide in English which form we will use to call the people of a certain country? Why is it Israeli, Iraqi, Iranian?

Posted By: Zed Re: Nationalities? - 05/20/05 10:28 PM
Welcome to the board imp.

Add /ese, /ian, /ish, /etc and it gets confusing. (or am I just easy to confuse?)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Nationalities? - 05/20/05 11:51 PM
Here are some interesting geographic clusters of endings. I have no idea why this may be so:

Chinese
Japanese
Taiwanese
Burmese
Siamese
Nepalese
Vietnamese

Welsh
Irish
Scottish
English
British
Cornish

Bolivian
Brazillian
Peruvian
Ecuadorian
Chilean
Colombian

Posted By: imp Re: Nationalities? - 05/21/05 12:21 AM
We could add: Venezuelan, Paraguay, Uruguayan. , Argentinian (can be Argentine) Costa Rican, Salvadorian, Honduran, Guatemalan, Dominican, Cuban, Haitian, Bahaman Mexican, Canadian, American
Don't know: A person from Belize, many of the Carribean Islands

We could add: Spanish, Swedish, Finnish
Don't fit pattern: Italian, Belgian, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, etc.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Nationalities? - 05/21/05 02:26 AM
And, of course, don't forget my dead horse: United Statesan, or United States of American, or -- oh, that's right, the citizenry of the United States of America don't have a word ...

Posted By: Faldage Re: Nationalities? - 05/21/05 11:29 AM
the citizenry of the United States of America don't have a wor

We're the default.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Nationalities? - 05/21/05 11:54 AM
Italian fits the pattern. I always considered that the term "American" referred exclusively to citizens of the United States. I once asked a young man from Hong Kong what the equivalent was - HongKongian, what? He said that it was "Hong Kong Chinese", although he said this wouldn't apply to someone whose racial origin was other than Asian. Never did figure that one out....

Posted By: Zed Re: Nationalities? - 05/24/05 06:37 PM
Most Canadians would consider "an American" to be from the US but would agree that we are North Americans.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Nationalities? - 05/25/05 12:15 PM
Yes, that's true. I once had quite an argument, though, with someone who referred to something that had happened in Canada and said "Only in America, eh?" He said we were Americans because we were North Americans. I was some upset about it, because I'm North American, but NOT American.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Nationalities? - 05/25/05 12:24 PM
Imagine how Mexicans must feel.

Posted By: Zed Re: Nationalities? - 05/25/05 06:57 PM
"Only in America, eh?"
Besides, according to the tea adds the correct phrase is "Only in Canader, eh?"
(Canuck in joke)

Posted By: Capfka Re: Nationalities? - 05/30/05 04:12 AM
Imp, I've often wondered about the way that adjectives are formed from place names. I long ago came to the conclusion that there's no general rule. It just "happens", even with newly-named countries.

© Wordsmith.org