Wordsmith.org
Posted By: of troy speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/04/05 02:35 AM
mugs, or drinking vessels?

on a recent Antiques Roadshow (US/PBS version--oregon)--some one showed up with a copper and silver trophy--it was a large hammered copper vessel, with ornate silver scrollwork at the base, and three handles--made from stags horns.

the expert appraiser said it was a sort of tyg

Onelook has only one listing for the word tyg... and that listing defines a tyg as a 12 handled vessel.

so... has anyone here (hi tsuwm!) ever heard of a tyg? anyone have a dictionary that list a tyg? and why a tyg? any other words with tyg as part of the word?

(any care besides me? its a good scrabble word for sure!)

I picture such a vessel in the hands of a Viking and the word looks Nordic, as well.

Posted By: Faldage Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/04/05 09:38 AM
Brick & Mortar OED has it:

A name said to have been formerly given in the Staffordshire potteries to a porringer; now applied by antiquaries and collectors to a drinking-cup with two or more handles, attributed to the 17th and 18th c.

Now, let's look up porringer:

A small basin or similar vessel of metal, earthenware, or wood, from which soup, broth, porridge, children's food, etc., is eaten.

There were a lot of Vikings in Staffordshire, right?

Posted By: Miia Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/04/05 07:00 PM
After consulting several swedish and multilingual dictionaries, I found only one meaning for the word tyg: cloth, fabric. In Norwegian, the verb tygge also means to chew, but this is the only reference to eating and drinking that I could find with my rather poor Swedish skills. However, I did find a picture from an English website which was similar to your description:
http://www.metmuseum.org/explore/Tiffany/metal02_larger.html
Kinda puzzling, I'd say. Hope someone has an access to something that could explain where the word tyg has come to English...

Posted By: Zed Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/04/05 10:28 PM
How does one drink out of a 12 handled mug? For that matter, why does one drink out of a 12 handled mug?
(Fill it too often and you'd see 24.)

Posted By: Saranita Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/04/05 11:18 PM
*laughing at Zed's post*

Filling it just often enough, I'd say.

Posted By: dxb Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/05/05 11:24 AM
Hope someone has an access to something that could explain where the word tyg has come to English... ~ Miia

The twelve-handled mug was originally used in jury rooms. It was grasped by each of the jurors to demonstrate their agreement on a verdict. By custom it was filled with strong mead to help the jurors to relax and, by each taking a drink in turn, heal any wounded feelings resulting from the arguments necessary to reaching the verdict. After the twelfth man had drained the last of the mead they could depart in peace and camaraderie. Tyg is an acronym for twelve yeoman’s gill, a gill being a fluid measure in some districts reckoned as a quarter pint and in others as a half pint.

I was actually thinking the word looked Welsh - dunno why that should cross my mind.

Posted By: of troy Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/05/05 11:50 AM
gill is a 1/4 pint (4 oz)--or it has been all my life-- a half gill is 2 oz, (or a large 'shot') In US a shot (of whiskey) is defined as 1.5 ounces..
(pint,-16 oz, half pint-8oz., gill-4 oz., , half gill-2 oz.)

well the tyg on the show, wasn't a 24 oz (12 X 2) mug! --in fact, it was a trophy for the best in show Spanniel at a dog show.

Words in the Welsh language, being composed entirely of numerous consonants, continue to confound.

Posted By: Jackie Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/05/05 01:19 PM
The twelve-handled mug was originally used in jury rooms. It was grasped by each of the jurors to demonstrate their agreement on a verdict. By custom it was filled with strong mead to help the jurors to relax and, by each taking a drink in turn, heal any wounded feelings resulting from the arguments necessary to reaching the verdict. After the twelfth man had drained the last of the mead they could depart in peace and camaraderie. Tyg is an acronym for twelve yeoman’s gill, a gill being a fluid measure in some districts reckoned as a quarter pint and in others as a half pint.
Thank you! [bow]

Posted By: Saranita Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/05/05 01:52 PM
Talk about grand jury duty....

Posted By: TEd Remington originally used in jury rooms - 05/05/05 05:21 PM
And it ain't even April Fool's Day!

Ahh, a tyg for a tyke!
And thanks, dixbie, for that enlightening bit of trivia!

Posted By: Zed Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/05/05 11:00 PM
they could depart in peace and camaraderie
as opposed to a tyg of war
[I tried to resist, honest I did]

Posted By: Miia Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/06/05 06:55 AM
Thanks dxb! Never could have thought of that explanation, I sincerely thought tyg was a loan word from some Nordic language... Live and learn

Thanks dxb! Never could have thought of that explanation, I sincerely thought tyg was a loan word from some Nordic language... Live and learn

Is that the Finnish line, Miia? [/oops]

Posted By: Faldage Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/06/05 10:00 AM
How bout a poll here? How many of y'all bought dxb's fascinating fable?

How many of y'all bought dxb's fascinating fable?I did. Totally plausible. Why, is it not true? Dixbie, you wouldn't put us on, would you?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: speaking of TEd... - 05/06/05 11:42 AM
I do believe that ole shaggy dog caught on right quick...

takes one to know one!

Posted By: maverick Re: Totally plausible - 05/06/05 11:43 AM
You guys are kidding, right?

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: speaking of TEd... - 05/06/05 02:22 PM
One thing I have learned here is that acronyms are a twentieth century invention, so when you see one like the yeoman's gill or feloneous use, carnal knowledge, you should be very skeptical.

Posted By: Faldage Re: speaking of TEd... - 05/06/05 09:12 PM
acronyms are a twentieth century invention

Maybe not quite a twentieth century invention. There has been spotted a pre-twentieth claim of an acronymic origin for 'tip' as in what one gives to waiters. That it is not the case that 'tip' has an acronymic origin is beside the point. The fact that someone in the nineteenth century thought it was would indicate that pre-twentieth acronymic origins were not unknown.

Posted By: wsieber Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/12/05 05:10 AM
why does one drink out of a 12 handled mug? In those dark ages, people didn't wash their hands quite as often as today. If several people were drinking from the mug in turn, they wanted to avoid catching a nasty bug from the neighbor.

Posted By: Zed Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/12/05 10:47 PM
If several people were drinking from the mug in turn, they wanted to avoid catching a nasty bug from the neighbor.
That would account for 12 spouts but not 12 handles.

PS did you know that there are enough medieval dribble glasses that people today collect them? If you knew which air hole to block you could drink dribble free and then laugh at your friends. So much for the theory of evolution (of humour)

Posted By: maverick Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/12/05 10:49 PM
> to avoid catching a nasty bug

Hence the traditional country game called Bug Err Your Neighbour :)

Posted By: Faldage Re: speaking of funny dishes, what about - 05/12/05 11:21 PM
avoid catching a nasty bug from the neighbor

Not to mention, in the dark ages the folk didn't have the foggiest idea about 'nasty bugs'.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Am I the only one... - 05/13/05 09:43 AM
who noticed that wsieber and Zed were, you know, fooling around?

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Am I the only one... - 05/13/05 10:29 AM
Nope - I noticed, and just sat here chuckling. I like the idea of a mediaeval dribble glass, though. I want to make a puzzle jug - I've seen mediaeval examples. The neck of the jug is pierced - usually built to look like a tower with windows or something - but the liquid still comes out the spout at the top. I need to find out how they did that and make one.....

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Am I the only one...? - 05/13/05 10:35 AM
Heh. I knew we had something in common, Mizz Lizardbreath.

know the reference? It's a Canadian comic strip

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Am I the only one...? - 05/14/05 12:06 PM
yep, I know that one. Rumours are she's going to retire, but I have inside info that says she never will.