Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Alex Williams plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/16/01 09:37 PM
When I either an acronym or an abbreviation and I make it plural or past tense, I tend to use an apostrophe between the main word and the suffix, like this:

discontinue --> D/C
discontinued --> D/C'd

Volkswagen --> VW
Volkswagens --> VW's

sport utility vehicle --> SUV
sport utility vehicles --> SUV's
sport utility vehicle drivers --> morons (DOH!)

Does anyone else do this?

Posted By: musick Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/16/01 09:50 PM
Here are a few local favorites.

P's - parents
P'd - pissed off
Dis'd - disrespected (I know, nice try)
B/O'd - back ordered
P/O'd - Ordered (with a purchase order)
PC'd - Changed/Converted from Mac to PC

Posted By: Jackie Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/16/01 09:59 PM
Alex, you are keeping busy this month, aren't you, Sweetie?
I assume you meant write acronyms and abbreviations.
Yes, I do. We've had some discussion about this before,
but darned if I can find it.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/16/01 11:01 PM
>...darned if I can find it.

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=491&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1

Posted By: musick Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/16/01 11:42 PM
tsuwm - That thread dosen't seem to approach the issue of past tense ("'d") although it hardly makes sense to substitute a single letter even though it happens often enough ( pronounciation specific "can't"). I came back to edit my post for the one "'s" I did include (for I agree that without "'" makes most sense) and it just won't prompt the reader to pronounce the "P" as seperate (I expect something like "piz" will be vocalized). Am I to write "Pees" to insure this (which means a new word not an acronym or an abbreviation (yart?)?

Jackie - I do write these (the last three, anyway) in reports that are internal, and "P's" in personal letters all the time... ("ya gotta" start somewhere)... hopefully a mystery for three generations from now attempting to figure out what "P's" are...

Posted By: Sparteye Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/17/01 01:21 PM
The general rule I have read, which makes sense to me and I use in my published materials, is that the apostrophe should not be used unless necessary to clarify meaning. Example: multiple A = A's rather than As, but multiple PC = PCs.

Posted By: Bridget Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/18/01 09:24 AM
I'm with shanks. I loathe apostrophes used to make a plural, even in acronyms. They are just the thin end of the shim...

Posted By: wow Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/18/01 08:34 PM
apostrophes...They are just the thin end of the shim...
Interesting. We say "the thin edge of the wedge" same meaning. More euphonious ? A shim is commonly used by carpenters here it being a small piece of wood or metal to align something usually. A wedge is a big metal object tapering to sharp, thin edge used in splitting logs. Comments?
wow
P.S. One common misuse of apostrophes here in US is Veteran's Day for the correct Veterans Day . Drives me nuts!

Posted By: Marty Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/18/01 09:36 PM
...They are just the thin end of the shim...

I smiled as I read this - I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek. "Thin end of the wedge" is the common expression I am familiar with. Like wow's carpentry example, for me (mechanical engineering/machinery applications) a shim is a thin piece of metal used to adjust something to a critical position or size. A shim is usually VERY thin and uniform thickness, so the "thin end of the shim" is a nonsense.

[edited in later]... I've just done what I should have done before my post - looked up a dictionary. M-W has shim as:
a thin often tapered piece of material (as wood, metal, or stone) used to fill in space between things (as for support, leveling, or adjustment of fit)

Hmm, so it's not nonsensical or tongue-in-cheek as I thought.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/18/01 10:40 PM
Hmmm. So was it Valentine's day OR Valentines day? In French we say "la Saint Valentin" (yes, there is no e on the end) so it refers to that one specific person from which the day originated. Is this also true in English, or does it refer to the people celebrating the day?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/19/01 11:43 AM
...the apostrophe should not be used unless necessary to clarify meaning. Example: multiple A = A's rather than As, but multiple PC = PCs.

I'm with Sparteye. Excellent concise rule. Occam's Willie would be proud.

----
And Bel, it is Saint Valentine's Day.

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/19/01 12:26 PM
Bridget may want to wring my neck for it, but alas I do use an apostrophe at the end of a plural acronym. Of course I know better than to do it otherwise. Now what really vexes me is when you see a sign posted in a store that reads:

THERE WILL BE A $15 SERVICE FEE FOR "ALL" RETURNED CHECKS

Even worse, I saw one that read "There is a $15 charge for 'EACH' returned checks." I had to go home and take an aspirin for that one.

Posted By: maverick Re: plural or past-tense acronyms - 02/19/01 02:35 PM
Bel, it is Saint Valentine's Day

...even though [pedant-cap-emoticon] there were two of them! - so should be Valentines' Day

I had to go home and take an aspirin for that one

So that's what passed tense does for you, huh?

© Wordsmith.org