Wordsmith.org
Posted By: orchard Rhetorical device? - 04/03/05 11:05 PM
'The Wall Street Crash did not cause the Great Depression; the war did. Roosevelt's New Deal did not remedy the Great Depression; the war did.' --Robert Sobel, unknown source (either 'Panic on Wall Street' or 'The Great Bull Market').

Which rhetorical devices are at work in this sentence? I thought epistrophe but the word as defined on Onelook didn't capture the similarity of structure in the two non-identical clauses. Any ideas?

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 12:12 AM
Welcome, orchard!
If you can find Willard Espy's "The Garden of Eloquence", that will probably have the right word in it. I have a copy, but putting my hand on it will take me a couple of days.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 01:33 AM
You might find it here, orchard:
http://www.virtualsalt.com/rhetoric.htm

Posted By: Avy Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 04:26 AM
> similarity of structure in the two non-identical clauses.
Parallelism?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Garden of Eloquence - 04/04/05 09:00 AM
If you can't find The Garden of Eloquence under the bed (with the dustballs, thank you very much), you can at http://humanities.byu.edu/rhetoric/Primary Texts/Peacham.htm. The New York Public Library catalogs one that contains examples from Henry Peacham's original of 1577. I don't know but that this one is "the original." Or isn't.
Posted By: Faldage Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 09:53 AM
I'll go with Avy in voting for parallelism for the overall structure, with the addeed bonus of epistrophe in the repetition of the phrase 'the war did.'

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 04:37 PM
I'll go with Faldage and Avy, except that I wonder why an epistrophe isn't just a species of parallelism (?).

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/04/05 05:46 PM
"The subtle distinction between two terms [of rhetoric]
is completely irrelevant."
- anon. college classics department chairman

Posted By: musick Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/04/05 07:45 PM
The subtle distinction between two terms [of rhetoric] is completely irrelevant.

The distinction might be irrelevant but methinks the *reason(ing) for using (having) two terms can't be.

Although an implied thrift comes with eloquence, does not specificity arrive as well?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/04/05 08:00 PM
<<The subtle distinction...>>

Thus, my question, why not just say 'epistrophe' and leave it at that.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/04/05 10:19 PM
why not just say 'epistrophe' and leave it at that

Sure. And why bother with distinguishing between, say, afterthought and forethought? Just call them both afterthought.

Posted By: orchard Re: Rhetorical device? - 04/04/05 11:56 PM
An 'epistrophic parallelism' it is then. I'm not aiming for eloquence or specificity. My writerly persona is more the vague smart aleck, with a dash of wilful obscurity.

PS Wow that Peacham link is comprehensiverama!

----
Evangelise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEO!

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/05/05 02:03 AM
<<sure. ...>>

Perhaps I misunderstood tsuwm. Or perhaps you misunderstood me. Whatever. It's not worth the effort.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/05/05 04:18 AM
>Perhaps I misunderstood tsuwm.
I think near everyone here misunderstood the quote I posted (which was actually sent to me as something the head of some classics dept. actually said).

I'm pretty sure that the context of this was that the fine distinctions between some of these trope-types (that seem to cause mere mortals to forget which is which) hardly matter to anyone outside the halls of academia -- or maybe inside either.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Rhetorical distinction? - 04/05/05 05:07 PM
<<I think everyone here misunderstood the quote...>>

Thanks, t. That answers my question. I was looking for a fine point, and I'm satisfied that if there is one, it doesn't really matter anyway.

© Wordsmith.org