Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm flatulopetic - 03/14/05 03:49 PM
I'm struggling with another of Mrs. Byrne's special words.

she gives flatulopetic as:
1) pertaining to gas production in the bowels
2) pretentious, pompous, inflated

I find this in none of the usual metasources, and it is found online almost exclusively at sites that have used Mrs. B (openly or not so) as a source.

I have no problem with flatu(s :) as a root, but whence/what of the the -(o)petic?

(I've emailed this query to uncle jheem as well; if he comes up with something I'll relay it here.)

Posted By: plutarch Peptic Pontifications - 03/14/05 04:21 PM
Tsuwm: Perhaps there is a connection between "peptic" and "flatulopetic".

A speaker who's bloated with gas
Is a peptic pain in dias.
Flatulopetic
Is a speech, diarrhetic.
Like gas, we hope it will pass.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary: peptic

Function: adjective
Etymology: Latin pepticus, from Greek peptikos, from peptos cooked, from peptein, pessein to cook, digest -- more at COOK
1 : relating to or promoting digestion : DIGESTIVE
2 : of, relating to, producing, or caused by pepsin <peptic digestion>
3 : connected with or resulting from the action of digestive juices <a peptic ulcer>

Posted By: tsuwm Re: flatulopetic - 03/14/05 04:58 PM
dr. bill suggests a kinship to Brit. medical term haemopoesis = blood formation.

so flatulop(oi)etic = gas formation?

edit: -poietic
suff. [From Greek poietikos, creative]
productive; formative: galactopoietic

[AHD4]
Posted By: maverick Re: flatulopetic - 03/14/05 05:12 PM
> [From Greek poietikos, creative]

so you're saying it's a poetic gasbag?!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: flatulopetic - 03/14/05 05:20 PM
{well, here I am replying some more to my own post(s) -- how ironic...}

jheem chimes in with:
Yes, flatus for 'blowing, gas'. But the final syllables gave me pause for thought. Could it possibly be flatulopoeic 'making gas', mixing Latin and Greek*? ...the (l)opetic part looks more Greek than Latin...

It also seems to me that flatuous (OED) is [a] perfectly good word and has the additional feature of being easily deduced.

*does the term "macaronic" apply here?

Posted By: consuelo macaronic - 03/20/05 09:33 AM
Isn't that a moronic dance?

Posted By: inselpeter Re: flatulopetic - 03/20/05 12:22 PM
Don't know who Byrne is, but...

Could this be a hifalutin tongue-in-cheek of her own coinage\ distinguishing two senses of "make" as used by a child?

Posted By: Faldage Re: flatulopetic - 03/20/05 01:54 PM
I found it in http://anotherlook.com/. It's a word for a Maaori pipe organ.

Posted By: Jackie Re: flatulopetic - 03/21/05 01:34 AM
Faldage, I think you are.

Posted By: alan_walker Re: flatulopetic - 03/23/05 11:25 PM
peter (with an acute accent on the first e) is a French word meaning "to break wind". It is the origin of petard, a small bomb or firecracker, mainly used in the expression "hoist with one's own petard".

Posted By: Jackie Re: flatulopetic - 03/24/05 01:46 AM
G'day, Alan, and welcome aBoard! Is the French peter also the origin of our phrase peter out?

Posted By: alan_walker Re: flatulopetic - 03/24/05 02:13 AM
One of the definitions for "peter out" is "exhaust", so I suppose there could be a connection there!

(My Oxford dictionary says the origin of "peter out" is unknown, so your guess is probably as good as anyone else's.)

Posted By: belMarduk Re: flatulopetic - 03/25/05 02:30 AM
I always heard peter out to mean gradually run out.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: flatulopetic - 03/25/05 03:08 AM
<< always heard peter out to mean gradually run out. >>

Or to become exhausted.

Posted By: Jackie Re: flatulopetic - 03/25/05 12:55 PM
peter out to mean gradually run out. Yep: dissipate.

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 04:32 PM
And then there's James Barrie's remark when asked how his plays did: "Some peter out," he said, "and others pan out."

Posted By: Capfka Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 05:26 PM

I can tell that you're going to have to shoot it out with Mr Remington, that son-of-a-pun, Elizabeth.

Welcome to the looney-bin, by the way. You're a busy lady, judging you by your bio!
Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 06:35 PM
Thanks! Delighted to be here with the other loons! One of the things that immediately occured to me about our word flatulopetic is that it's perfect for the seventh line of a double-dactyl - I've added it to my list....
Yes, I know it looks like I do a lot, but I'm one of those lucky folk who gets to do what she loves for a living. And I can write and knit while I watch the sap boil. Shoulda seen me before I gave up the sheep!

Posted By: Capfka Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 08:50 PM
Hey, we had a whole thread of double-dactyls a couple of years ago. If the search engine were any good, I'd find it for you.

Wait - it worked! Here's one of the threads:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=wordplay&Number=105694&page=&view=&sb=&vc=1#Post105694

Now where I come from, "giving up the sheep" has a whole nother meaning ...

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 10:25 PM
Re: giving up the sheep - do tell! In my case it meant that the art biz sucked, and I couldn't afford to feed my sheep through the winter. Also it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep the fencing up, as a lot of it went through bush (forest, wood, woods, whatever - lotsa trees and undergrowth).
So what does it mean where you come from?

Posted By: Faldage Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 11:26 PM
I'm one of those lucky folk who gets to do what she loves for a living.

Uh-oh.

Posted By: maverick Re: flatulopetic - 03/26/05 11:26 PM
> where you come from?

New Zealand: where the men are men and the sheep look scared!

Welcome, fellow loon :)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: flatulopetic - 03/27/05 12:10 AM
Hi, Elizabeth! Great name you have . I gotta question you though: as a fellow fan of double-dactyls, I think the word flatulopetic lacks a syllable to fully qualify for the seventh (actually, isn't the sixth that should be a single word?) line. What are the rules you know?

PS Mr Capfka, you have widened the screen.

Posted By: Faldage Re: flatulopetic - 03/27/05 02:03 AM
According to this site <http://www.stinky.com/dactyl/dactyl.html> it seems to be optional which line in the second stanza the single word goes into. One example has single words in the fifth and seventh and another has its single word in the sixth line.

Posted By: maverick Re: Hexasyllabically - 03/27/05 02:38 AM
Higgledy-Piggledy
Dactyls in dimeter,
Verse form with choriambs
(Masculine rhyme):
One sentence (two stanzas)
Hexasyllabically
Challenges poets who
Don't have the time.

http://lonestar.texas.net/~robison/dactyls.html

On the other hand, this account doesn't seem to specify the name element, and other descriptions also suggest the hex can be placed almost anywhere in the last stanza (excepting the last line).

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article?tocId=9125173
Posted By: maverick Re: Hexasyllabically - 03/27/05 02:53 AM
The double dactyl was invented in 1951 by Anthony Hecht and Paul Pascal. In 1966 it was introduced to the public, first in an Esquire article, then in Jiggery Pokery: A Compendium of Double Dactyls edited that year by Hecht and John Hollander (and including contributions from, among others, founder Pascal, Donald Hall, Richard Howard, and James Merrill).
The form has a pleasing, sing-song rhythm; its stringent rules provide a challenge to the poet:
• The poem has eight lines, divided into two equal stanzas;
• all lines except those at the ends of the stanzas are double-dactylic, having two dactylic feet (STRONG weak weak STRONG weak weak);
• lines at the ends of the stanzas are shorter (STRONG weak weak STRONG);
• the stanzas rhyme;
• the first line is a piece of nonsense ("higgledy- piggledy" is often used, and double dactyls are sometimes called higgledy-piggledies);
• the second line is the double-dactylic name of the poem's subject, usually a famous person;
• another line of the poem, most commonly the sixth, must be a single double-dactylic word.

Although it suggests most commonly the sixth, the first example on the page is one of Hecht’s which places the hex on the seventh line, so confirming the variability.

http://www.ddaze.com/04LVResource/zDactyl.htm

Posted By: maverick Re: Hexasyllabically - 03/27/05 03:04 AM
(and if anyone's feeling extravagant...!)

http://www.polybiblio.com/mathesonbk/42381.html

© Wordsmith.org