Wordsmith.org
Posted By: EdmontonGeek Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/09/05 11:49 PM

Aggghh. Been pondering this for two days for an item I'm writing. Anyone have a good word that encompasses both "vast" and "diverse"?

Cheers!

Posted By: maverick Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 12:03 AM
Welcome EG.

Would something like multifarious do it?

[edited] to make it something more like a correctly spelled word! ;)

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=multifarious
Posted By: Dgeigh Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 12:06 AM
myriad

Posted By: maverick Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 12:24 AM
hah - I had never come across the 10k definition before - so myriad can either be a specific number or an indefinite number!

ecumenical (in its secular sense)?

wide-ranging?

Posted By: wsieber Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 09:42 AM
rich, comprehensive, universal, wideranging, multifunctional

Posted By: dxb Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 10:30 AM
Cosmos, maybe? But that’s a noun whereas vast and diverse are adjectives.

Heterogeneous? Plethoric? (from AHD: Plethoric: Excessive in quantity; superabundant: “this successful industry of England, with its plethoric wealth” (Thomas Carlyle). )

I tried the One-Look reverse definition for 'vast, varied' and got this list:

1. pandemic
2. panthalassa
3. panorama
4. panty girdle
5. panleukopenia
6. pandanus
7. pantagruel

Number 4. is quite baffling! I suppose some may be described as vast; it's all relative.

Posted By: plutarch a universe of meaning - 03/10/05 11:16 AM
rich, comprehensive, universal, wideranging, multifunctional

Hey,wsieber. I think you're on to something there. There is nothing more vast and diverse than the universe.

If you're looking for something diverse
Not to mention vast, like time in reverse
You don't have to look far
Just look at a star
All atwinkle in God's universe.

> a good word that encompasses both "vast" and "diverse"?

Some concepts have cosmic proportions. Finding a word to encompass the capaciousness and variety is sometimes harder (especially in English) than just using two or three! That said, I wouldn't be against finding a word, either:-)

Posted By: dxb Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 12:27 PM
Just have to create a word. Varinormous, maybe.

Posted By: plutarch Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 12:34 PM
"Varinormous" is verigood, dxb.

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 01:06 PM
host

host

as, perhaps, a collective noun?

Posted By: themilum Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 01:50 PM
Hey EdmontonGeek, hi!

Words in a vacuum don't mean much, EdmontonGeek, (I like to say your name) it'd be best if you mentioned your planned application.

How about multivast, EdmontonGeek?
You may hyphenate if you wish.

Posted By: plutarch Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 02:34 PM
How about omnifarious, EdmontonGeek?

Dictionary.com:
adj : of all varieties or forms or kinds; "omnifarious reading"

re "multivast". Nice coinage, themilum.

Thanks for the great, multiferous, and multivast words all! This is my first participation in this community and am surprised by the fast responses. Much appreciated.

- EdmontonGeek

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/10/05 05:42 PM
panty girdle???

I'm dying here.

It reminds me of the suggestions made by my old spellcheck, every time I wrote a letter to my friend Olaf. I will forevermore think of him as Olaf, the aloof half elf.

surprised by the fast responses

Welcome, Ed ~

We have fast responses, half-fast responses and multi-fast responses. Stick around.

Father Steve

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: half-fast responses - 03/10/05 07:37 PM

Posted By: inselpeter Re: Need a synonym for "vast and diverse" - 03/11/05 04:38 AM
<<as, perhaps, a collective noun?>>

Yup. (As in, perhaps, "hosts" in "Host of hosts")

© Wordsmith.org