Wordsmith.org
Posted By: phil-wieland Off indicating quantity - 02/12/01 05:30 PM
For many years I have observed a peculiar use of the word 'off' in electronic parts lists, where one might write
3 off left handed toggle widget
meaning three of them are required.
I had always assumed this use, which is not mentioned in my dictionary, was local to the electronics industry. Today, however, I noticed "Enclosed Turnstiles (20 off)" in the dome auction brochure.
Does anyone know where this use comes from? Is it a corruption of 'of'?

Phil

Posted By: maverick Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/12/01 06:15 PM
Hi Phil

I've come across this too, over quite a wide range of backgrounds including I think Quantity Surveying - but will await more learned responses on its etymology.

Posted By: wow Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/12/01 06:52 PM
3 off meaning three of them are required.
I had always assumed this use, which is not mentioned in my dictionary, was local to the electronics industry.

How about a mistake that perpetuated itself and sloppy editing and -- my favorite hobby horse -- the lack of understandable-by-laymen writing in the technical industries's handbooks and directions.
Harumph!
wow
P.S. "Let us not persevere in the wrong for the sake of consistency"
a quote from one of the lesser known US Presidents whose name escapes me.

Posted By: wwh Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/12/01 08:58 PM
Turnstiles 20 off

Dear Phil: In that context, did they mean 20% off? wwh

Posted By: phil-wieland Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/12/01 09:01 PM
I think not. This is an auction catalogue, so 20% off what? Also, one item was marked was "100 off"!

Posted By: lusy Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:11 AM
How about a mistake that perpetuated itself and sloppy editing ...

I suspect not, wow. The term is common in many engineering and related areas, and has been for many, many years, with the connotation of "how many are to come off this production line, or off this stock pile" and similar usages. And of course there is the (probably) related expression "one-off" meaning unique.

lusy
Posted By: wow Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:31 AM
Thanks for the info, Lusy.
On the other hand, I got to air one of my pet peeves and shake the beehive ... always provokes some interesting stuff like your info on the engineering language.

wow

Posted By: Jackie Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 01:59 AM
Yay, lusy!
I thought off. in an auction cat. would mean offered.

Posted By: doc_comfort Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 08:01 AM
Offered? for the Dome-thingy anyway

Rapport was established superficially.
Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:15 PM
Does anyone know where this use comes from? Is it a corruption of 'of'?

So far as I can work out from other contexts, the "meaning" of 'off' in this case is a reference to the number that are taken "off the machine" after production. It also has the connotation of "off the stores shelf".

The necessity to use this construction lies in the probability that the object being "taken off" is identified by a numerical tag - size, dimensions, parts number or w.h.y, so it is essential to separate the quantity of the good from its numerical tag.

The other (and increaingly popular) way of differentiating in this way is to use "No.", as in "4 No. 30mm x 1550mm strips" if you actually want four of the strips of whatever.

Posted By: phil-wieland Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:25 PM
That must be fun if you want a quantity of "Number 4 pan-head screws" - you'd have to write

4 No. No. 4 pan-head

It's just occurred to me that a related usage might be the British "one-off" for something that happens only once

Posted By: Jackie Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:30 PM
Phil, I just checked your bio. No wonder--you're a
Brit-speaker. We wouldn't write 4 No. No. 4 pan-head,
just 4 No. 4's., or maybe 4 # 4's.

Posted By: RhubarbCommando Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 12:34 PM
the British "one-off" for something that happens only once

Yes, Phil; I have heard, "one-off" as engineering-speak for a prototype or a single order, as opposed to production line-style of multiple production.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 03:01 PM
>>The other (and increaingly popular) way of differentiating in this way is to use "No.", as in "4
No. 30mm x 1550mm strips"
>4 No. No. 4 pan-head

well, I'd write: 4 ea. no. 4 pan-head [which leads to the "4 @ #4" thread(s)]

Posted By: maverick Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 03:42 PM
... just collectively demonstrating what we have all started to suspect: there are a lot of loose screws at AWAD!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Off indicating quantity - 02/13/01 03:47 PM
I submitted this question to another board which has a registered auctioneer. Haven't gotten an answer from him yet but my memory was tickled and I like the You can buy just one hypothesis. I would expand it to be you can buy one or more and the rest will go to anybody else wants to pay the same price.

© Wordsmith.org