Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Wordwind brawn - 02/15/05 09:52 AM
In looking over some notes from the past, I found a note on some curious definitions of 'brawn': meat of boar; headcheese.

I can't begin to imagine what I would have been reading at the time that brought about finding these two (to me) unusual applications of the word 'brawn.' Onelook.com indicates they are British defintions. Do any of you here use either application of boar or cheese?

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: brawn - 02/15/05 12:33 PM
I think a brawn may be the machine you put the meats through to get a fleshy 'brawn' out the other side. I guess meat can be 'brawn' too.

Posted By: plutarch Re: brawn - 02/15/05 01:05 PM
For a lot of women, "brawn" is just beefcake, Wordwind. You're a lot deeper than that. :)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: brawn - 02/15/05 01:07 PM
Headcheese isn't cheese (ewww....). Now I wonder, if brawn is brain, why do we separate them as virtual opposites in the expression?

Posted By: belligerentyouth Re: brawn - 02/15/05 01:20 PM
> if brawn is brain, why do we separate them as virtual opposites in the expression?

LOL, that's offally funny, AnaS.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: brawn - 02/15/05 01:49 PM
Countess: Marry, that's a bountiful answer that fits all
questions.

Clown: It is like a barber's chair that fits all buttocks,
the pin-buttock, the quatch-buttock, the brawn
buttock, or any buttock.

~William Shakespeare, All's Well That Ends Well, Act 2, Scene II

Posted By: tsuwm Re: brawn - 02/15/05 02:32 PM
>quatch-buttock

or amblypygid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amblypygid

Posted By: Father Steve First, take one pig's head ... - 02/15/05 07:21 PM
http://www.batemania.com/recipes/111599.html

Posted By: Wordwind Re: First, take one pig's head ... - 02/15/05 10:16 PM
From Father S's link on preparation of a pig's head:

Seasonable from September to March.

...Oh, goody! There's still time!

Posted By: maverick Re: seasoning to taste - 02/15/05 10:26 PM
> There's still time!

Sage is good, too. But seriously, if one can overcome the less rational squeemishness (eating some parts of an animal but not others?!) this is a fantastic creation. Much cheaper and more nutritious than peanut butter... ;)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: First, take one pig's head ... - 02/16/05 01:56 AM
WW notes that the recipe says that brawn made of a pig's head is "seasonable from September to March."

Somewhere in Jeffrey L. Steingarten's second book -- It Must've Been Something I Ate: The Return of the Man Who Ate Everything, he relates a trip to Paris to witness the slaughter of a 400-pound pig, the collection of its blood and the creation (and canning) of the perfect boudin noir. In the essay, he mentions that pigs are properly killed only in the winter in France. Why this is true, he does not disclose.

Posted By: of troy Re: First, take one pig's head ... - 02/16/05 03:16 AM
black pudding, is a fine accompiment to eggs over easy, and brown bread (hot from the oven)--it one of a few meal i eat that i actually think taste good with a cuppa, (and not breakfast coffee)

in times past, pigs (which need to be dipped in a vat of boiling water, in order to loosen the skin) were only slaughtered in winter months, because the meat tasted best, and 'cured' best if it was rapidly chilled after the 'blanching'--nature provide the cooling, not a refriderated slaughter house. it was 'hot work' to dress a pig, and best done in cool weather.

and hams (if they were only salt preserved, and not salted and cooked with low heat (smoking) need to be keep cool for a few weeks in order to be properly preserved.

most european 'ham' is cured, but not cooked. USDA requires hams to be cooked as well as salt cured.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: First, take one pig's head ... - 02/16/05 09:10 AM
Hogs were slaughtered on Granddaddy's farm to the south of our own in late autumn. Piggy proceeds were hung in the smokehouse, a wonder of a dark place that I visited often as a child, huge slabs of bacon and all sorts of hams hanging in smoked display from the rafters. It was a house of plenty that never looked empty to me. Pig slaughter was religiously kept from the grandbabies' eyes. I never witnessed the event, thank God. It ripped my heart in two to occasionally witness the catching and killing of a chicken by my docile, lovely, darling Granny. I heard that Teresa Kerry had performed the same vile act, and I must conclude that I am made of lesser stuff, for I could never kill a chicken (or even scale a fish) unless under dire circumstances. Even then...I'm not sure.

Posted By: Father Steve Vegetarians - 02/16/05 01:46 PM
I could never kill a chicken (or even scale a fish) unless under dire circumstances. Even then...I'm not sure.

vegetarian = old Native American word meaning "poor shot."

© Wordsmith.org