Wordsmith.org
Posted By: tsuwm misandry - 02/07/05 07:46 PM
it is often asked, "What is the opposite[sic] of misogyny?". (it's been asked here at least twice)

here's what wikipedia has, and it's quite evenly balanced, in a biased manner.
http://www.answers.com/topic/misandry

note: I got this through answers.com; I hope the link works for everyone else. if not, I can redirect from wikipedia.

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: misandry - 02/07/05 07:57 PM
Just as polyandry is the distaff equivalent of polygamy. But I have never seen biandry.

It's interesting that certain religions tolerate or even venerate polygamy, but I've never heard of one that allows polyandry. Could it be that those religions are male-dominated? I am shocked, I tell you, shocked!

Posted By: Bridget Polyandry - 02/07/05 09:40 PM
I understand that Tibetan Buddhism accepted both polyandry and polygamy, as well as at least one sect of married monks / nuns.

Also that the polyandry was normally one woman marrying a number of brothers. Not sure if the reverse was true for polygamy.

I have always assumed that this acceptance was tied into social conditions. A massive percentage of the population was dedicated to monasteries by its parents - monasteries had stores of food and large communal lands and herds which meant they were much more able to look after a number of children than any one family. Most monks and nuns being celibate meant that you could keep the overall population down. Some being allowed to marry gave a degree of generous forgiveness to the human weakness in us all. And those polyandrous arrangements outside the monasteries kept the family holding in one shared lump, whereas medieval English hereditary division left everyone with a too-small share so they could all starve together! Not a recipe for social harmony!

...come to think of it, sibling-based polyandry fits nicely into Darwinian genetic 'altruism' (as per Richard Dawkins' books) as a population-control method. It limits the number of children 2-5 brothers can bear to the offspring of one woman, but still gives them all a guaranteed stake in raising and caring for those children. Consider brother Albert. If the children are his, they have half his genes. Worth investing in their future to protect his genes. But if they are not his, they are his brother Bert's (or Cuthbert's, or Dilbert's). In which case, since Bert (or Cuthbert, or Dilbert) shares half his genes with Albert (yeah, I know, not guaranteed, but on average and that's the way Dawkins calculates it), the children have one quarter of his genes. So still worth Albert protecting them and their future.
So genetically, from a male point of view, polygamy works if you have lots of resources and can support more than one woman and her child-bearing capacity. Sibling-based polyandry works if resources are scarce and you will need to club together to support even one woman and her child-bearing capacity. From the female point of view, the choice is between one very well-resourced male - but you might have to share him - and a pool of more less well-resourced male.

I guess biandry doesn't give enough advantage in most situations to be worth it for the woman? The worst of both choices rather than the best?

...none of this is meant to offend anyone' religious / ethical / egalitarian / feminist / masculist principles, by the way. I just happen to think Dawkins does great analysis of how our genes drive us to achieve their goal, and I'd never thought of applying it to polyandry before. As far as I'm concerned, live how you like, just try not to judge anyone else or destroy their lives...

Posted By: Faldage Re: misandry - 02/07/05 10:55 PM
polyandry is the distaff equivalent of polygamy

Polygamy is the gender neutral term; the thing that polyandry is the distaff equivalent of is polygyny.

Posted By: Dgeigh Re: misandry - 02/08/05 02:57 AM
When I was younger, I dated Miss Andry for a while. Which, in and of itself, wouldn't have been so bad except that I was on the rebound from dating Madame Bovary. A monk’s life really didn’t look so bad after that.

Posted By: lalibertine Re: Polyandry - 05/21/05 06:55 AM
Bridget, I love you.
I was on another list and wondered if the term "biandry" was correct, or if I had just made it up (well I did, really - just substituted "andry" for "gamy"). Did a google search and came upon this site. Read your entry and promptly signed up. You are a truly a woman after my own heart. Email me anytime or visit ENTP @ yahoo groups to read my latest diatribe. We are in need of an infusion of intellect of your caliber (regardless of your Myers-Briggs category)...;-)

Cheers!
-Megan

P.S. No offense to anyone else on this list. I just haven't gotten around to reading the reat of the thread yet!

Posted By: carpathian Re: Polyandry - 05/22/05 11:57 PM
P.S. No offense to anyone else on this list. I just haven't gotten around to reading the reat of the thread yet!

No offence taken, lalibertine. You've got the pick of the litter in Bridget - a credit to your own judgment, however hasty!

Pray, don't keep Bridget away too long or we'll have nothing left to attract the likes of you again.

Posted By: maverick Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 12:14 AM
Who's this "we" you're speaking for?

Posted By: carpathian Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 12:20 AM

"We" doesn't include me because I can't assure lalibertine that I'll be around if and when lalibertine returns.

Alas, we may have seen the last of Bridget. As they say, "It's hard to keep them down on the farm once they have seen Paree."

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 12:34 AM

Pluralis majestatis?

http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Pluralis_Majestatis

Posted By: maverick Re: Polyonymous - 05/23/05 12:41 AM
lol! yeah, reckon that's a very majestic plural...

Posted By: Jackie Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 01:09 AM
We would like to welcome Ms. libertine...

Rex tremendae..

Posted By: Alex Williams Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 12:47 PM
Polygamy is the gender neutral term; the thing that polyandry is the distaff equivalent of is polygyny.

The confusing thing is, for a woman to really reap the benefits of polyandry, wouldn't she have to exhibit polygyny herself?
/on the run from the gutter police

Posted By: Elizabeth Creith Re: Polyandry - 05/23/05 04:59 PM
we would like to welcome Ms. Libertine
Hear, hear! Welcome to the madhouse!

Posted By: lalibertine Re: Polyandry - 05/25/05 11:14 PM
Many thanks for your kind welcome. It's good to know I can seek refuge here whenever I find myself in an etymological dilemma. :)

-Ms. Libertine
...Qui salvandos salvas gratis
Salve me, fons pietatis!

Posted By: lalibertine Re: Polyandry - 05/25/05 11:19 PM
I wouldn't dream of stealing her away, my dear Carpathian. Fact is, it's a lot more likely that you all will steal me away from that other list.

Regards,
-Megan (LAlibertine)

Posted By: lalibertine Re: Polyandry - 05/25/05 11:24 PM
Good Qod, I hope I haven't scared her off! And what do you mean, C. that you can't assure me you'll be around?

Egad,
-Megan
(Mea Maxima Culpa)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Polyandry - 05/26/05 12:07 AM
Qui salvandos salvas gratis
Salve me, fons pietatis!

Who freely saves the redeemed,
Save me, O fount of goodness.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Polyandry - 05/26/05 12:31 AM
scared her off!

Don't worry, Ms. L. Our Bridget posts somewhat erratically. Her last post was April 12. She'll be back. And don't worry about Carpathian, he is but the latest incarnation of a perennial weed that pops up from time to time. We've found it best to ignore him.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rex tremendae.. - 05/26/05 01:14 AM
I only put that because of majestatis; I had to think back to singing Mozart's Requiem, and what followed--er, preceded, that's right-- that word.

© Wordsmith.org