Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Mrs Coot Bell maker - 02/06/05 09:31 AM
Hi,
I always get forget the name for a bell maker and currently am stumped. Can anyone help?

Posted By: plutarch Re: Bell maker - 02/06/05 10:35 AM
Does this help, Mrs. Coot?

car·il·lon ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kr-ln, -ln)
n.
A stationary set of chromatically tuned bells in a tower, usually played from a keyboard.
A composition written or arranged for these bells.

intr.v. car·il·lonned, car·il·lon·ning, car·il·lons
To play a carillon.

[French, alteration of Old French quarregnon, from Late Latin quaterni, quaternin-, set of four. See quaternion.]

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=carillons

Since a person who plays an organ is an "organist", I assume a person who makes music with bells is a carillonist.

If you're thinking of the person who actually makes the bell, rather than the person who makes the bell sing, then that would be a bell forger*, wouldn't it, because bells are forged out of metal.

I don't think you are thinking about the thing that makes the bell ring, Mrs. Coot. That would be a bell clapper. We could have a lot of fun with that - starting with "clap trap" [which has nothing to do with "clappers" altho "hand clappers" do].

* Is there any bell more famous than the "Liberty Bell" which was cast in a foundry in England in 1752?

The bell was ordered from Whitechapel Foundry, with instructions to inscribe on it the passage from Leviticus.

The bell arrived in Philadelphia on September 1, 1752, but was not hung until March 10, 1753, on which day Isaac Norris wrote, "I had the mortification to hear that it was cracked by a stroke of the clapper without any other viollence [sic] as it was hung up to try the sound."

Two Philadelphia foundry workers named
John Pass and John Stow were given the cracked bell to be melted down and recast. They added an ounce and a half of copper to a pound of the old bell in an attempt to make the new bell less brittle. For their labors they charged slightly over 36 Pounds.

The new bell was raised in the belfry on March 29, 1753. "Upon trial, it seems that they have added too much copper. They were so teased with the witticisms of the town that they will very soon make a second essay," wrote Isaac Norris to London agent Robert Charles. Apparently nobody was now pleased with the tone of the bell.

Pass and Stow indeed tried again. They broke up the bell and recast it. On June 11, 1753, the New York Mercury reported, "Last Week was raised and fix'd in the Statehouse Steeple, the new great Bell, cast here by Pass and Stow, weighing 2080 lbs."

...... its most resonant tolling was on July 8, 1776, when it summoned the citizenry for the reading of the Declaration of Independence produced by the Second Continental Congress.

http://www.ushistory.org/libertybell/

Oh, and here's something about the passage from Leviticus inscribed on the "Liberty Bell".

As it was to commemorate the Charter's golden anniversary, the quotation "Proclaim Liberty throughout all the land unto all the inhabitants thereof," from Leviticus 25:10, was particularly apt. For the line in the Bible immediately preceding "proclaim liberty" is, "And ye shall hallow the fiftieth year." What better way to pay homage to Penn and hallow the 50th year than with a bell proclaiming liberty?

re "clapper" and "clap trap":

clap (v.)
O.E. clæppan "to throb, beat," echoic. Of thunder, c.1386. Clapper "tongue of a bell" is from 1379. Claptrap is c.1730 theater slang from actors' stage devices to get applause.

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?l=c&p=15

There's just one other "Bell maker" I can think of, Mrs. Coot [other than Pass and Stow, of course]. That's "Ma Bell". But, nowadays, "Ma Bell" has a lot of "Baby Bells".

Could it be you are thinking of a "rain maker", not a "bell maker", Mrs. Coot? A "rain maker" makes the bells of commerce chime. They make the music you can peal off a wad of bills in your wallet.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Bell maker - 02/06/05 01:07 PM
How about bell founder?

http://onelook.com/?w=bell+founder

It's not one word, but.

Posted By: plutarch Re: Bell maker - 02/06/05 01:22 PM
How about bell founder?

That would be good, Faldage.

One of the "Quick Definitions" for "founder" in OneLook is:

noun: a worker who makes metal castings

Or, how about bellcaster which is one word. We've got sportscasters. Why not bellcasters?

I think Mrs. Coot is ringing our bell, don't you? :)

I think Mrs. Coot is snoot tootin' a new horn. :)

[But I don't mind. I learned a lot of stuff about the "Liberty Bell" I didn't know before. Hope someone else finds some of it interesting too. :)

Reminds me of when I was a Boy Scout. We used to send rookies on "Scavenger Hunts" looking for "sky hooks" and "left-handed monkey wrenches" and such. It was just harmless fun. Just like Mrs. Coot. :) ]
Posted By: plutarch Re: Bell maker - 02/06/05 04:25 PM
from Dr. Bill [wwh]:
I wonder at sense of humor of new member Mrs. Coot. A coot is a sea bird, a type of fish eating duck, that used to be a challenge to shoot just for sport. The
recipe for cooking coot, told of tying it to a shingle,
baking two hours, throwing coot away and eating shingle.
They apparently tasted horridly of fish.
And 'crazy as a coot' used to be a common slur.

P.S. from me: I think Mrs. Coot is a Hoot, Dr. Bill. I've learned more about bells than I ever knew before. Now I'm going to look into whistles. Everyone knows a whistle blower. But what do you call a whistle maker?

Posted By: plutarch bells and whistles - 02/06/05 04:37 PM
Any time you want to blow your own horn, you should have all the bells and whistles available to do it properly.

What's the point in having bells and no whistles, or whistles and no bells? That's no way to blow your own horn!

Want to hear what a whistle sounds like. This website is dedicated to steam whistles, and you can even hear one go off, if you've got an ear for that sort of thing.

http://www.whistleman.com/html/the_great_whistle_makers.html

Posted By: Father Steve Bell founder (as one word) - 02/06/05 05:39 PM
George Elphick, The Craft of the Bellfounder, Phillimore, 1988.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bell maker - 02/07/05 04:16 AM
were this a game of stink[y]-pink[y], I'd say:
clanger hanger

-ron obvious-schmobvious

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Bell maker - 02/07/05 05:14 AM
...and the guy who beats a piece of hot metal on an anvil to make the hangy-downy part would be a "clapper rapper"?

Posted By: nancyk Re: Bell maker - 02/07/05 03:57 PM
the hangy-downy part

I love it when you come up with those technical terms, Father!

Posted By: plutarch Re: Bell maker - 02/07/05 04:43 PM
I love it when you come up with those technical terms, Father!

I'm not surprised he has this gift, Nancyk.

The clapper is known as "the tongue of the bell". Perhaps Father Steve has been blessed by the Holy Ghost. :)

Acts 2:1-11 V4
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Comment from Bible Studies website [link below]:

"The Holy Spirit gave them the words to say, they did not have to think of what to say. Here they are filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak other languages that they did not know how to speak before. An example would be some one that could only speak English now with the Holy Spirit could also speak Japanese."

http://www.biblestudygames.com/biblestudies/speakingintongues.htm

No-one has ever accused Father Steve of Babeling, Nancyk. :)

http://www.unmuseum.org/babel.htm

Mrs. Coot has no idea what she started here. :)

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 04:52 PM
Or simply a compound word.

Anyway, bell founder is the word wanted in the thread starter, yes, or are there other distinctions? If a bell were made of, say, pottery, would we have to cast out 'bell founder' for the potter and call the maker a 'bell potter'?

Posted By: maverick Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 04:55 PM
> pottery

or if made of blancmange, perhaps bellwhisker?!

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 06:09 PM
Speaking of cream and whiskers....it would be very easy to bell any cat with a blancmange bell, mav'...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 07:24 PM
I think the Chinese, at one time, made bells (or perhaps chimes) from stone. Would the fabricator thereof be a bellcarver or what?

Posted By: of troy Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 07:32 PM
i have crystal (leaded glass) bells, and lenox china make a 'pottery bell' (for christmas)

and jingle bells are made out of folded sheet metal..

lots of different kinds of bells out there

(and there are are clunkers around too)

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 08:01 PM
I never made a bell myself but I have been, on occasion, accused of being a little dingy.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/07/05 08:40 PM
>accused of being a little dingy.

ask not for whom the bell tolls..

Posted By: tsuwm Re: coot - 02/07/05 08:46 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coot

coots appear mysteriously on Minnesota lakes twice a year, hang about feeding for a few days, and then mysteriously disappear.

Snipes are good eatin', they taste like a cross between teals & quails. At least that's what my taste buds tell me. I highly recommend Snipe. I will eat my hat before I eat coot. - anon

Posted By: Sparteye Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 12:50 AM
I have been, on occasion, accused of being a little dingy.

Oh dear. Well, that's not important to most women anyway.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Bell flounder - 02/08/05 01:00 AM
I have been, on occasion, accused of being a little dingy.

at least you didn't have the clapper...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 01:02 AM
As long as you're not any of these applications of the word, Father S:

"Quick definitions (dingy)

adjective: depressing in character or appearance (Example: "Drove through dingy streets")
adjective: (of color) discolored by impurities; not bright and clear (Example: "A dirty (or dingy) white")
adjective: thickly covered with ingrained dirt or soot (Example: "Dingy linen") "

onelook.com Quick Definitions

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 01:05 AM
them's all a differnt pronounciation, dub-dub...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 01:36 AM
Well, yeah, et', but I didn't quite catch Father S's pronunciation,which wasn't clear as a bell from where I sat.

All in the spirit of having a tintinnabulatory fun.

Posted By: plutarch Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 04:06 PM
The ART of the FOUNDER
Cover story, Pacific Northwest Magazine
Seattle Times, January 23, 2005

Plenty of bigger and fancier foundries are around, even in nearby Walla Walla and Joseph, Ore. Most are more organized and heralded than this one. Northwest Art Casting does not advertise and doesn't even have a Web site. Yet artists from Seattle and across the country find it, looking for workmanship, a good deal and help.

In some ways, Umapine is a fitting place for "lost wax" bronze casting, one of the oldest of metallurgical arts and a process that has changed little in four or five centuries. Artists from ancient Mesopotamia to the Han Dynasty of China used the method to create emblems and monuments to marvel and worship. Benvenuto Cellini used lost wax to cast Perseus and the Head of Medusa, an almost four-ton statue in Florence.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/pacificnw/2005/0123/cover.html

Posted By: of troy Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 04:34 PM
well it could be Ding--ee (like ding dong a bell sound with an ee at the end)
like a dingy (the boat)
or it could be Dinge- ee(to rhyme with singe--slightly burnt) ee --dingy as dirty,

the sailor in a dingy whites, rowed the small leaky dingy to shore.

Posted By: Owlbow Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 02/08/05 05:16 PM
the sailor in a dingy whites, rowed the small leaky dingy to shore.
...guided by the bells of the dingy ringer in the bell tower.
Or was he the tragic victim of tintinitis doomed to row ‘til his craft sank and his bell tolled?
Don’t ask.
Davy

Posted By: of troy do not ask for whom the bell tolls... - 02/08/05 07:18 PM
no, no, davy locket,
not guided by the bells of the dingy ringer in the bell tower
but guided by the appealing toll of pealing bells of the dingy ringer in the bell tower.
and he was doomed to row until his craft sunk (or should that be founderd?) or reached the atoll shore, where the small church lay, it's bell tolling now he hours, but might soon tolling for him?

(mind you he rowed fast, and was steadfast in his task, but the months of semi-fasting on the ship, and no breakfast that very day, left him weak!)

of troy, who on fine clear days, can smell the salty freshness of the sound.

Posted By: TEd Remington the salty freshness of the sound. - 02/08/05 07:26 PM
Dunno about that, but some of the unsound around here tend to just plain reek.

Posted By: Owlbow reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 07:25 PM
It might have been the bellwether that was heard, or was it the ringleader?
‘must cast off now.
Baa.

Posted By: Bridget Re: reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 09:30 PM
Surely the bellwether was herd?

Posted By: of troy Re: reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 09:38 PM
surely a bellwether, like a good child, should be shorn, and not herd!

Posted By: tsuwm Re: reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 10:42 PM
okay, this thread seems to have pretty much run its course..

Q: what's brown and sounds like a bell?
A: DUNG

Posted By: Wordwind Re: reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 10:45 PM
tsuwm,

That's not belle.

Posted By: Bridget Re: reeking of leaks - 02/09/05 11:21 PM
Weather or knot it's belle, it's certainly obscene!

Apparently it was Groucho Marx who said 'Women should be obscene and not heard'. Personally, I am only willing to comply with half of that request!

(tsuwm, if a thread's run its course, must be time to take it off-course !!!)

Posted By: gonoldothrond Re: Bell founder (as one word) - 03/11/05 07:05 PM
I think the Chinese, at one time, made bells (or perhaps chimes) from stone.

This reminds me of the lithophone, an instrument I think is probably both the most amazing and the least documented of all instruments: pictures here: http://images.google.com/images?q=lithophone. More like chimes, but wouldn't you love to own one?

8-)
© Wordsmith.org