Wordsmith.org
Posted By: plutarch cool hunter - 01/30/05 01:05 PM
Have you noticed, "cool" loses it's cool when everyone knows where it's at? That's why we need "cool hunters".

Is the market crazy, or just me?

When "cool" is "hot", it has to cool down before it can heat up again.

I remember when I was a kid, "cool" was a very rare thing. And it wasn't a person, "it" was an it.

Then certain people became "cool", and they became "it".

Of course, it wasn't long before Madison Avenue caught on, and soon everything became "it"

Now hardly anyone can find "cool" any more. But that's not a problem 'cause now we've got "cool hunters" who can find "it" for us.

Ain't "it" grand!

"It" makes the world go 'round and 'round
In a niminey-piminey-merry-go-round. :)

Like many design blogs, Apartment Therapy acts as cool hunter and arbiter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/27/garden/27blog.html?oref=login

We're editing the huge morass of information and stuff out there and trying to find the cream," said Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan, 38, who runs Apartment Therapy with his brother, Oliver Ryan, 36. The site attracts more than 10,000 visitors a day, Mr. Gillingham-Ryan said.

Hot Off the Web: Gossip and Design Guidance
New York Times, Sunday, January 30, 2005

Posted By: plutarch Re: cool hunter - 01/30/05 06:14 PM
posted on behalf of Dr. Bill [wwh]:

Cool. An interesting word, much overused.
PBS had a couple hours by Arthur Clark(not positive of
first name) about an small Italian duchy about in middle
of Adriatic coast, that he said had the most advanced
civiliztion that ever existed. In ten volume "Story of
Civiliation" by Will Durant, he tells how in their
tournament, the highest honors went to contestant who
won with least exertion. This seems to me the earliest
record of the concept of 'cool'.
But 'cool' can have a price. My younger brother started
smoking in imitation of a cousin who was 'cool' and smoked
with elegant manners.
Now my brother is unable to walk up a flight of stairs
because of COPD - chronic obstructive pulmanary disease.
A high price to pay for appearing 'cool'.

Posted By: aorto Re: cool hunter - 01/30/05 06:30 PM
"When everyone knows good as good, this is not good." Tao Te Ching, Cleary translation.

It seems to be a natural trend.

Irony:

Tie-dyed at the mall.

Deadhead stickers on Cadillacs.

Nirvana wins a Grammy.

The hip-hop look in the suburbs.

'Cool' is nothing but a target market.

Cool, desublimated.

Posted By: plutarch Re: cool hunter - 01/31/05 12:00 AM
"When everyone knows good as good, this is not good."

Reminds me of an old maxim in the stock market. When everyone is convinced that a stock can go nowhere but up, it can go nowhere but down. This is because there are no buyers left. Classic market tops are made on climactic volume. I guess the same thing applies with "cool", Aorto. When everyone thinks it's "cool", it isn't "cool" any more.

There is a legend that Joe Kennedy, father of John F. et al, sold all his stocks before the stock market crash in 1929 when the shoe-shine boy gave him a tip in the high-flying stock market of that time.

Joe Kennedy was as cool as a cucumber. Which makes me wonder why a cucumber got picked for this distinction. Why not a watermelon? A watermelon is a lot cooler than a cucumber on a hot day.

re "'Cool' is nothing but a target market." True, but it's a moving target. And when it stops moving it ends up at Target. :)

Posted By: Bridget Re: cool hunter - 02/07/05 04:45 PM
<Which makes me wonder why a cucumber got picked for this distinction. Why not a watermelon? A watermelon is a lot cooler than a cucumber on a hot day.>

My gut reaction, which some gardening /literary historian (or more dedicated researcher!) will probably prove to be wrong, is that this is a traditional British English phrase which predates watermelons in the English-speaking world. I know you can grow cucumbers across a lot of the UK without a cold-frame, whereas I have no knowledge of UK-grown watermelons.

Alternatively, a quick google pulled up a couple of links:

http://www.vocaboly.com/forums/ftopic1884.html
and
http://www3.telus.net/jennybr/origins.html

which appear relevant even if somewhat speculative. And the image which springs to mind of an elegant lady having a facial with slabs of watermelon over her eyes rather than cucumber slices is rather appealing!

Posted By: plutarch Re: cool hunter - 02/08/05 10:20 AM
the image which springs to mind of an elegant lady having a facial with slabs of watermelon over her eyes rather than cucumber slices is rather appealing!

What is it about cucumbers, I wonder?

There are "cucumber facials" and "cucumber cleansers". Here's a recipe for a "cucumber facial mask".

Cucumber Facial Mask
1 tbsp instant nonfat dry milk
1/2 peeled cucumber
1 tsp plain yogurt

Put all ingredients into a blender and mix well until smooth. Apply to your face (avoid your eyes). Leave on for 15-20 minutes, then rinse off. Mix a fresh batch for each use.

Here's something you can do with a watermelon you can't do with a cucumber, Bridget. You can spit the seeds across the room. The world record is 68 feet, 9 1/8 inches.

Some folks like to eat the seeds. Others like to spit 'em out (the world record is 68 feet, 9 1/8 inches). Still others prefer their watermelon with hardly any seed at all—the recent triploid introductions. But one thing unites them in their diversity: love of watermelon. What a potent symbol for our age! Or at least for summertime, when everything seems good and right in the world.

And there is even a watermelon-vinaigrette dressing. Father Steve might be interested in that.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:QPV27vYOk-cJ:www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2001su_watermelon.
html+watermelon+facial&hl=en

Posted By: Father Steve Watermelon Vinaigrette Dressing - 02/08/05 07:57 PM
Watermelon Vinaigrette Dressing (as ordered)

Ingredients:

2 Tbs seedless raspberry jelly
1/4 c. watermelon puree
1 clove garlic, finely minced
2 Tbs white wine vinegar
dash ground white pepper
1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil

Procedure:

1. Melt the jelly in a small saucepan.

2. Meanwhile, place enough chunks of seeded watermellon in a blender or food processor to make 1/4 cup puree. Process with the minced garlic. Strain the results.

3. Allow the melted jelly to cool slightly, add the strained puree, the vinegar and ground pepper. Whisk the olive oil into the mixture until emulsified. Chill before serving. Whip before service, if the dressing separates in the fridge.

Makes almost half a cup.

Posted By: Jackie Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 12:56 AM
I was just watching a TV bloopers show, and there was a clip of a local news team--right here in Louisville, I mean--during the 2000 Olympics. They cut briefly to their correspondent in Sydney, and said they were ready to try sampling Vegemite in her honor. Now, I have tried that stuff courtesy of my friend Jo, so I didn't need their comment that "it looks like tar" to guess what was coming. The lady tried it first, then made a face and said, "Get the camera off me". You could hear her telling her two male counterparts that it was the worst stuff she had ever tried. They, to their regret, ignored that comment, and both proceeded to take huge bites out of their bread-and-Vegemite. One of them actually spit it out on-camera, and just before the camera cut away, you could see the second guy reaching for the wastebasket. That was hilarious!

Posted By: maverick Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 01:52 AM
and this disparagement for a fine food from the nation of junk-food jacks with a jones for filthy muck like 'peanut butter and jelly sandwiches'!! sheeeeesh.... ;(

Posted By: Jackie Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 03:35 AM
Peanut butter and jelly sammiches--yum! For the unitiated, Vegemite tastes and looks rather like I imagine, oh, grub worms would be if you ground them up wet, let them rot till they were literally black, and then added some mucilage to thicken it...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 06:22 AM
Vegemite is not really food. It is more the excrudescence of mold, slime and bacteria.

Posted By: maverick Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 10:55 AM
HEY! It's a by-product of making proper beer - how much closer to heaven do you want to be?! ;)

Posted By: of troy edible (or not) by products! - 02/09/05 11:55 AM
and elmers glue (white glue)is a by product of making real cheese. but i don't think its a good idea to spread elmer's glue on a sandwich and eat it.

didn't you ever wonder why Borden's (and elsie the cow mate, elmer) got involved with glue making? cheese production uses the curds, and whey is mostly not used or needed. but reduce it.. and bingo.. glue!--but in other places, they looked at the crude left over and said, bingo--food!)

Posted By: AnnaStrophic And then there's the Brit version... - 02/09/05 12:49 PM
Marmite. I'll take Vegemite over Marmite any day.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 01:47 PM
It's a by-product of making proper beer

Uh ... pig poop is a by-product of making proper ham and bacon, but I wouldn't spread it on my toast.

Posted By: maverick Re: Since we're on a food thread... - 02/09/05 02:31 PM
> mold, slime and bacteria

so's antibiotic, which is handy given your disgustin' American sweet-toothed mash of the totally innapropriate mix of peanuts, sump oil and sugar byproducts! %0~

and I can remember now the disgust with which I saw the fat run from my first panful of American bacon - reckon you throw away the best part in that stuff you don't want to spread on your toast :)

Posted By: plutarch Juicy Slices [of Watermelon] - 02/09/05 03:16 PM
Juicey Slices

! According to 1998 edition of The Guinness Book of World Records, in 1990, Bill Carson of Arrington, USA, grew the largest watermelon weighing 119 kg. The word “watermelon” first appeared in English by 1615.

! Like seedless oranges, Japanese scientists were the first to develop seedless watermelon. Agricultural researchers in India have also developed an experimental seedless variety and called it Pusa Bedana.

! There is enough evidence to indicate that the watermelon is a native of tropical Africa. The explorer, David Livingstone, mentions them in his diary.

! The first recorded harvest of watermelon was nearly, 5,000 years ago in Egypt where watermelons were grown and regarded not only for their flavour but also for their beauty. It has been depicted in Egyptian wall paintings. Pharaohs stocked watermelons in their tombs.

! It is said that when children of Israel wandered in the desert after their flight from Egypt, they remembered the watermelons they left behind.

! A very large number of watermelon varieties are grown in India. They have very exotic names like Noorjehani, Anarkali, Sharbat-e-Anar, etc. Some varieties are named after the towns near which they are grown — Faizabadi, Jaunpuri and Farukhabadi — all of them along the banks of the Ganga and the Yamuna.

! Sugar baby, an American variety is very popular in Maharashtra. West Bengal grows the Asahi Yamato, a Japanese variety.

The voyage of watermelon
Shirish Joshi

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2002/20020506/agro.htm#1

Posted By: Wordwind Re: edible (or not) by products! - 02/09/05 03:23 PM
Kids eat glue all the time.

Thanks for telling us about the whey, of troy. Whey cool!

Posted By: Father Steve Apologia pro George Washngton Carver - 02/09/05 09:04 PM
Dear Doubters of the Wonders of Peanut Butter ~

Please read about the life of George Washington Carver, the father of peanut butter, and be ashamed.

http://www.princeton.edu/~mcbrown/display/carver.html

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Apologia pro George Washngton Carver - 02/09/05 09:19 PM
Father Steve,

Although Carver is known for his many discoveries using the peanut, I don't think he was the father of peanut butter. The use of peanuts in pastes and soups predates Carver, and peanut butter in the form that we know it today isn't credited to Carver as far as I can gather. Here's a link with interesting information, most of which is found on other peanut butter sites:

http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/history/

But, then again, you may have a source that differs...

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Apologia pro George Washngton Carver - 02/09/05 09:19 PM
Father Steve,

Although Carver is known for his many discoveries using the peanut, I don't think he was the father of peanut butter. The use of peanuts in pastes and soups predates Carver, and peanut butter in the form that we know it today isn't credited to Carver as far as I can gather. Here's a link with interesting information, most of which is found on other peanut butter sites:

http://www.peanutbutterlovers.com/history/

But, then again, you may have a source that differs...

But see:

BULLETIN NO. 31 JUNE 1925
How to Grow the Peanut and 105 Ways of Preparing it for Human Consumption
Seventh Edition, January 1940
By GEORGE CARVER, M. S. in Agr., Director
EXPERIMENTAL STATION, TUSKEGEE INSTITUTE,
Tuskegee Institute, Alabama
Reprinted 1983 for Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, George Washington Carver National Monument by Eastern National Park and Monument Association

Jackie, what is a grub worm? And I admire your imagination, as I would never even try to imagine the taste of anything like that.

Mav, I'm with you, Marmite is much better than Vegemite. As a Brit living in Oz I have managed to convert my Australian husband - unfortunately, as I now have to order double the stocks from overseas! (You can get Marmite here but it is made by a different company and does not taste the same. )
I remember a very sad lunch party where after several bottles of wine we ended up getting the Marmite and Vegemite jars out of the kitchen and comparing ingredients. My taste buds justified by the larger quantity of folate in Marmite - clearly a much healthier food as well as better tasting!
...a satisfying use of Marmite is to offer it to your Japanese colleagues when, for the fiftieth day running, they have expressed admiration at your ability to use chopsticks. And to tell them, in all innocence, that it is chocolate paste...

And as for peanut butter and jelly:
- don't y'all over there in the States mean what we call jam when you say jelly?
- by the bye, please explain the distinction on your side of the pond between jam and jelly. Where I grew up, jelly is (was?) a dessert - basically a clear, fruit-flavoured blancmange, presumably derived from the gelatin which made it set, whereas jam is fruit and suger boiled down to a gloopy sweet mass and usually eaten spread on bread or baked in pastry cases.
- peanuts! Wonderful things! Not denigrating them at all, just disturbed by their pollution with jelly. Or with jam. Why cover such a delicious savoury and nutritious snack in sugar???
- heard an interesting session on the radio recently - apparently one main reason that nut allergy is rising is that roasted nuts are now roasted at a higher temperature / for longer and this brings out different / higher concentration of various compounds in them. As a result rising allergy occurences, some schools in Australia are seeking to make their schools completely 'peanut-butter-free', and even to avoid feeding kids peanut butter for breakfast before school. Yeeargh! It was bad enough when the airlines stopped serving nuts, but if they are to disappear from schools and breakfasts entirely...

according to the US Food & Agraculture, an administrative body that sets standards for US foodstuff:
Jelly is made from clear fruit juice, with sugar and pectin, (there are percentages/ratios of sugar to fruit juice that must be met in order to be called jelly--(sugar free stuff for example is a fruit spread))

Jam is made from fruit juice and pureed fruit bits (at least 10%pureed fruit) the fruit does not have to be intact and recognizable (ie, a puree of fruit and juice) --same deal with specific ratios of sugar to fruit apply--with there always being more fruit by weight than sugar)

preserves are made from fruit and juice(notice--fruit comes first, not juice). the fruit can be cut up, but peices of intact fruit must be still visible, plus sugar and pectin.

(i don't know if there are standards for marmalades, or curds (like lemon curd))

if a product meets the government standard, it doesn't have to list its ingredients on the label. (it can but it doesn't have to)
IF it doesn't meet the standard, IT MUST List all ingredients, in order by weight.. (heaviest/greatest quanity first--

which mades canned chili makers to use 3 types of beans in their chili--so Beef is #1 ingredient, and Bean A, BeanB, Bean C follow (along with other ingredients).. but in reality, the chili is more beans than beef.

there are many foods with 'standards' established, (peanut butter, for one, ketchup, mustard, mayonaise, ice cream, and so on..)

and here, in US, we call gelatins 'Jell-o'--after the biggest brand of mixes for making them.

blancmange is pretty rare,--i have made it.. but its not at all common.

Bavarian creams used to be fad.. they are like a blancmange that is made with added whipped cream. and are sometimes called souffles, (but unlike a real souffle, they are not cooked) and Bavarian creams came in all sorts of flavors, fruit, chocolate and even coffee flavor.

of troy, who knows her sweets and desserts!

Posted By: Jackie Grub worm piccie - 02/10/05 02:00 AM
http://www.opendreams.net/jesse/images/20010506.hike.trip.revis.ranch/41.grub.worm.2.jpg

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Grub worm piccie - 02/10/05 02:06 AM
A lovely bundled-up grub, Jackie. It looks rather like a luscious white-frosted bundt cake dotted with cherries and a sliced-off end dipped in semi-sweet chocolate or licorice. Can't decided which.

Posted By: Bridget Re: Grub worm piccie - 02/10/05 02:54 AM
Thanks Jackie. We have something similar-looking in our garden, not that I have ever known what it was called. Will try to check with a native Australian at some point.

As for food, I'd rather eat Marmite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=69474&item=3780605944

or is that mammarite?

AnnaS sez: Marmite. I'll take Vegemite over Marmite any day.

But

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=7920313&src=eDialog/GetContent

Posted By: inselpeter Re: And then there's the Brit version... - 03/16/05 10:40 PM
FS: I think that's a very funny idea for an advertisement.

OT: I thought Elmer's was made of casseine, which was the wey. As to govt. defs., ice cream can be made of casseine and not so labeled since that is the stuff by definition.

Mav: As to peanuts generally, commercial peanut butters usually remove the peanut oil, which is valuable, and replace it with cheaper, thicker, artery-clogging shortening. But the real thing is wonderful. I'm not a big jam person, but sometimes with raisins, bananas or apples -- a definite neck-and-neck with Marmite (which is also good, in smaller quantities).

© Wordsmith.org