Wordsmith.org
Posted By: erzsebet Good morning Philipina - 01/28/05 12:39 PM
It has been a custom in my family through my mother through her father to, when cracking a nut that has a "twin" in it (i.e., two separate nuts inside), shar that nut with someone, each of you eating one of the "twins." Then, next morning, whoever first goes to the other and says "Good morning, Philipina!" will receive a small present from that person. Does anyone know where this saying derived from? We are speculating it has to do with King Philip and/or the time of the Armada, or?

Posted By: maverick Re: Good morning Philipina - 01/28/05 01:22 PM
Welcome to the board, erzsebet. Who's the bet with? ;)

Sorry, never heard this expression. What part of the world was this in, and are you aware if it had any wider currency amongst relations and other outlaws?

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Good morning Philipina - 01/28/05 01:38 PM
Welcome, erzsebet. I've never heard of your custom, and like Maverick, I'd like to know what country you're in.

In the Southern US, my family had a superstition: on the first day of the month, the first words out of your mouth had to be "rabbit rabbit." (no, Mav, not rarebit ) If you forgot, you had to do something nice for mom or dad or a sibling so as not to bring bad luck down upon the house. We didn't take it seriously, of course, and mom would always hope at least one of us would forget so she'd get an extra chore done.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Rabbit! Rabbit! - 01/28/05 04:30 PM
I had not heard of this custom of saying "Rabbit! Rabbit!" first on the turning of the new month until I was in college. One of my roommates said that whoever said it first would have good luck all the month long. Interesting, AnnaS, to read that someone else knows of the rabbit/rabbit superstition.

No knowledge of Philipina and the nuts till reading here today.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Good morning Philipina - 01/28/05 05:11 PM
Let me add my welcome aBoard, erzsebet. I did find a speck of information, although there appears to be little or no connection. There is such a thing as a pili, or Philippine nut , Canarium ovatum, Burseraceae.
However, the description makes no mention of it normally having two kernels.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/cropfactsheets/PiliNut.html

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rabbit! Rabbit! - 01/28/05 05:55 PM
One can read more about the whole "rabbit rabbit" thing here:

http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/Superstition/rabbit.htm

Posted By: Rapunzel More rabbits - 01/28/05 09:23 PM
Speaking of rabbits, is anyone else familiar with the practice of saying "white rabbit" to (supposedly) make the campfire smoke move away from you? Or was that just something my weird friend came up with completely on his own?

P.S. Hello everybody! It's been awhile... I've had trouble posting replies from my home computer since last summer, although I can do it at work (where I am now). Unfortunately, I don't get much computer time at work. Hence the rareness of Rapunzel at AWADtalk. I shall try to pop in more often henceforward.

Posted By: Zed Re: where there's smoke - 01/28/05 11:19 PM
White rabbit is the only one of these "nutty" traditions that I'm familiar with. It never worked for me though.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Good morning Philipina - 01/29/05 01:37 PM
Two kernels: not ordinarily.

But possible. From the site Jackie provided:

"The ovary contains three locules, each with two ovules, most of the time only one ovule develops."

In those instances that two ovules develop, two kernels would be produced--and then the gift-giving tradition becomes ignited.

Posted By: maverick Re: More rabbits - 01/30/05 07:04 PM
Welcome back, she of the enchanting locks! ~ we'd started to think Alicia doesn't live here anymore.

hmmm ~ so the bet's off...?

Posted By: Jackie Re: More rabbits - 02/03/05 01:17 AM
Welcome back, she of the enchanting locks! Indeed! Have you-all noticed that within a pretty short space of time, several long-time-no-sees have returned? Did you lapsed penitents have a private conference, or something? [glancing around suspiciously e] ... Alicia doesn't live here anymore.

© Wordsmith.org