Wordsmith.org
Posted By: plutarch AWAD-peri-Day5 - 01/03/05 11:55 AM
Day 5 of the "Weekly Theme" is "peri". Please scroll down. Day 1 is:

Today's Word "skookum" meaning "Powerful; first-rate; impressive [From Chinook Jargon, from a Chehalis word meaning spirit or ghost] has an interesting, but purely coincidental, connection to another "skookum": the "Skookum Cast" which some scientists believe is the imprint of a "living sasquatch".

http://www.bfro.net/NEWS/BODYCAST/

Hmmm. "Chehalis word meaning spirit or ghost". A powerful human-like sasquatch half again the size of a human. Hmmm.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: skookum - 01/04/05 01:21 AM
The word "skookum" is also used, here in the Pacific Northwest, where the Chehalis Indians lived, to mean wise or smart or clever or understanding, as in "he is a real skookum guy" meaning that the fellow knows what is going on and is unlikely to be fooled easily.

Posted By: Jackie Re: skookum - 01/04/05 03:08 AM
Speaking for yourself, eh, F.S.?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: skookum - 01/04/05 04:44 AM
Speaking for yourself, eh, F.S.?

While my truly remarkable and widely-known humility would prevent such a thing, I do speak from my own experience of the word used to describe others much more worthy of the appellation.

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-chaparral-Day 2 - 01/04/05 11:08 AM
I hope any who are interested in the "skookum" discussion will keep it going, but I thought I would keep the thread current by adding today's "Word for the Day":
chaparral (shap-uh-RAL, chap-) noun

A dense, often impenetrable, growth of shrubs and thorny bushes.

[From Spanish chaparral, from chaparro (dwarf evergreen oak), from Basque txapar (thicket).]

"Chaparral" is one of those melodious words which suggests more than it actually means.

Who does not get carried away with the romance and adventure of "high chaparral"?

What would Hugo Boss do with this:

Give him what he really wants.
Give him "High Chaparral".

BTW, for those who may not know, "High Chaparral" was the name of a popular TV series during the '60's.

"The High Chaparral" (1967) [TV-Series 1967-1971]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061263/

Link to photo of the cast:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60396&item=4063866801&rd=1

And, Dr. Bill tells me it is also the name of a BBQ brisquette which has sold very well.

BTW Dr. Bill thought "chaps", worn by cowboys to protect their legs from chaparral, might be a contraction of "chaparral". Apparently, not:

"Chaps (from the Spanish chaparejos and/or chappareras) are descended from the Mexican vaqueros armas (skirt like pieces of bullhide tied to the saddle horn to hang down in front of the legs which developed into armitas, similar to modern chinks, which were smaller and belted around the waist) and the Indians leggings (two step in tubes of leather with no seat)."

http://www.wrtcleather.com/index_chaps-main.html

If this post seems long-winded, I apologize. I am also posting Dr. Bill's input.

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-bosh-Day 3 - 01/05/05 11:04 AM
Today's word bosh (bosh) noun, interjection
Nonsense.
[From Turkish bos (empty). The term was popularized in English by its use in the novels of James J. Morier (1780-1849).]

Limerick writers are going to love "bosh". It rhymes with "nosh". And "posh".

And, "gosh", it even rhymes with "floss". That's "nosh"!"
Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-bosh - 01/05/05 11:11 AM
Oops! Unintended double entry. [I wasn't even trying to be bosh.]

While I'm here, I wonder where will we go tomorrow?.

So far, we've had Native American, Spanish-Basque, and today Turkish. A nosh from everywhere.

Around the world of words in 5 days. Great idea, Anu.
Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-bosh - 01/06/05 03:19 AM
Today's word bosh - Nonsense

Dr. Bill suspects that "bosh" and "kibosh" are related. He has done some research in that connection and he's encouraged, but not convinced, his speculation is correct.

Stay tuned. If we have more on "bosh" and "kibosh", we won't put the kibosh on it. :)

Oops! Strike Two, Dr. Bill.

Extract:

"But what is the origin of this strange word, which looks so very un-English? If I am to be boring about it, the most likely answer is that nobody knows for sure: certainly that’s the careful response of most dictionaries. But other people down the years have discarded caution to come up with a wide variety of explanations:

. It derives from Yiddish.

. It is said by some (notably Julian Franklyn) to have an heraldic origin, being derived from caboshed

. The Irish poet, Padraic Colum, has argued that the word originates in the Gaelic phrase cie báis meaning “cap of death”.

. Webster’s New World Dictionary apparently derives it from Middle High German kiebe, meaning “carrion”.

No "bosh" in the lot, Dr. Bill. [Better luck tomorrow. :) ]

[http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/kibosh.htm

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-nark-Day4 - 01/06/05 09:00 AM
nark (nark) noun
1. An annoying person.
2. A stool pigeon or informer

verb intr.
1. To irritate or annoy.
2. To be an informer.

[From Romany nak (nose). Ultimately from Indo-European root nas- (nose) that is also the source of other words for nose: English nose, Hindi nak, Spanish nariz, French nez, and related words nuzzle, nostril, and nasal.]

Another great word for limerick lovers!

"Nark" comes from "nose". Come to think of it, the nose is the most maligned orifice above the waist. [Personally, I think it's a bum rap.]

Nose not only gave us "nark", but it gave us "nosey", "brown nose", "keep your nose out of my business" and "nosing around".

The closest we ever get to giving the nose an even break is when we say "It's as plain as the nose on your face." And a guy with a broken nose is a "pug nose", or just a "pug".

You can get a cauliflower ear, but no-one ever called a guy with a cauliflower ear a "cauliflower".

And if you're going to spite your face, what are you going to cut off? Your ear? Lots of people pierce their ears, and some even cut them off. Van Gogh did it. Why do we have to pick our nose for this aphorism?

Any way back to "nark". A "nark" is a stool pigeon and it sounds even worse than a rat.
Posted By: maverick Re: AWAD-tosh ? - 01/06/05 05:12 PM
I don’t understand this connection between the words nose and narc. Surely the former derives from a Latin word (nasus) and the latter as an abbreviation of narcotics?

We should also be aware of the positive connotations of nose, as for example suggested in def 6 in MW10:

b : a knack for discovery or understanding <a keen nose for absurdity>
- on the nose 1 a : at or to a target point <the bombs landed right on the nose> b (1) : on target : ACCURATE (2) : ACCURATELY 2 : to win -- used of horse or dog racing bets

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-tosh ? - 01/06/05 06:13 PM
I don’t understand this connection between the words nose and narc.

You're right, Maverick. There is no connection between "narc" with a "c" and "nose". Sorry. I goofed. I should have written "nark", not "narc", everywhere. [Anu posted a subnote on "narc", short for "narcotics", which I didn't use because it isn't the "Word of the Day".]

So, your comment on "narc" is right on the nose.

As for "keen nose" and "landing on the nose", it gives "nose" a badly needed nose job. :)

re "tosh?": Merriam-Webster Online supplies this defn.
"sheer nonsense : BOSH, TWADDLE"

But, you're right! You narked me with this one. I thought a "tosh" is a butt, but it's not.

A "tush" is a butt.
'tush Function: noun
Etymology: perhaps modification of Yiddish tokhes, from Hebrew tahath under, beneath
slang : BUTTOCKS

Thanks for your ? mark. I amended my limerick. :)

Posted By: maverick Re: AWAD-tosh ? - 01/06/05 06:26 PM
I wonder if the tosh/bosh is a cross-pond or other regional variation, btw? I don't think I recognised the word bosh at all prior to the recent posts.

[empty boast!] didja notice how Anu used the word 'nark' just after I sent him that limerick? [/empty boast!]

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-bosh/tosh & moonbows - 01/06/05 07:00 PM
[empty boast!] didja notice how Anu used the word 'nark' just after I sent him that limerick? [/empty boast!]

No, I didn't notice but I just went back and found your opening line: It’s a Global Brand Manager’s nark

I confess I didn't know what a "nark" was when I read you limerick, and I was too lazy to look it up. [I did get the drift of it tho so I enjoyed your limerick anyway.]

Perhaps there is value in posting Anu's "Word of the Day" after all. It's my hope that by adding "live" discussion of Anu's daily words, it could add a new dimension of value for people who receive his "Word of the Day" email [not just members of AWADtalk].

That could result in more people coming to us who read Anu's daily AWAD email, people like drallie, who wrote on January 4th [on her first thread "Word Conveying Reflection"]:

"When Anu responded to my email by politely explaining "my limited time prevents me from doing justice to individual questions" and suggesting I post the question here, well.... I have known for several years that AWAD listmembers were creative and thoughtful folks; the depth to which some go to comment on individual words has been enormously pleasurable (not to mention educational!!). I didn't expect, however, that my little query (truly a vexing question for multiple years now) would generate this most wonderful threaded response. Thank you so very much!!

IDEA!!!

If Anu saw that our daily discussions of his "Word of the Day" produced additional value for his readers, on the testimony of people like draille, he might consider including mention of AWADtalk [even a link] in his daily "Word for the Day".

Think of how many amazing new visitors that might bring, some of them as amazing as draille who started a thread everyone loved about "moonglades" and "moonbows" [including photos], kumatage and more.

BTW here is a photo of a "moonbow" which was posted by Owlbow:

http://www.mfa.org/artemis/fullrecord.asp?oid=34049

I'm posting this photo as a way of saying thanks to drallie. "Thanks, drallie." :)

Posted By: Jackie Re: AWAD-bosh/tosh & moonbows - 01/06/05 08:57 PM
Um--I think Anu does offer a link...oops, I must have been thinking of the Home Page (thanks, Bill); you're right, it's not in the W.A.D.
And--the picture in the link is a painting, and--it's of a moonglade. Here is a photo of a moonbow:
http://www.johnsnellphoto.com/moonbow.html

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-bosh/tosh & moonbows - 01/06/05 09:16 PM
Thanks for posting additonal moon link, Jackie.

Posted By: plutarch Re: AWAD-peri-Day5 - 01/07/05 08:36 AM
peri (PEER-ee) noun
1. A fairy in Persian mythology.
2. A beautiful, graceful girl or woman.
[From Persian peri, variant of pari (fairy), from Avestan pairika (witch or female demon.]

Anu must be smiling on Of Troy's new limerick thread in "Wordplay and Fun".

4 of the 5 words he gave us this Week ["borrowed from other languages"] are colorful, punchy, memorable words, full of personality, which would liven up any limerick writer's rhyme [or tosh salad]:

"peri", "nark", "spookum" and "bosh", and let's toss in "tosh", which means the same as "bosh", for good measure.

Anyone could make a tosh salad out of that! In fact, I think I'll try. But you'll have to visit Of Troy's limerick thread to see it. [It's really getting lively over there. You'll have to see it to believe it! Seems we've got more limerick talent around here than anyone new! ]

And I should warn you in advance. There are as many ways to make a "Tosh Salad" as there are ways to make a "Vinaigrette" salad. If you have any doubts about that, you should visit Father Steve's "Vinaigrette" thread right here in "Q & A about Words". [I think he calls it "The Old Padre's Favorites" - TOP Favorites, for short.] P.S. Some people say "the Old Padre" has very esotericlesiastical tastes. :) [He has a good recipe for life as well as for salads, you will discover with amusement.]

AND we've got many other posters here to suit every imaginable taste.

You've already met Maverick, and there are more old-timers like tsuwm and Faldage and ASp and Jackie and Wordwind -- to mention only a few.

And newcomers like themilum [who's really not so new] and drallie [who is really, really new].

So make you own "tosh salad", or maybe make it a stew.
There is someone here, or something here, for every point of view.

Oh, yes. And Dr. Bill is here too. He's like our own AWADtalk angel. Don't believe it? Send a PM to wwh. You won't regret it. :)

Posted By: Zed Re: skookum - 01/08/05 12:24 AM
Sorry I'm jumping back to skookum. On the south coast of BC it was used to mean big and strong. As in a "Skookum baby boy" or "skookum chuck" for big seas or rough (ocean) water. I don't know if this was an accurate translation or the English mistranslation.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Who are you talking to? - 01/08/05 01:11 AM
"And I should warn you in advance. There are as many ways to make a "Tosh Salad" as there are ways to make a "Vinaigrette" salad. If you have any doubts about that, you should visit Father Steve's "Vinaigrette" thread right here in "Q & A about Words". [I think he calls it "The Old Padre's Favorites" - TOP Favorites, for short.] P.S. Some people say "the Old Padre" has very esotericlesiastical tastes. :) [He has a good recipe for life as well as for salads, you will discover with amusement.]

AND we've got many other posters here to suit every imaginable taste.

You've already met Maverick, and there are more old-timers like tsuwm and Faldage and ASp and Jackie and Wordwind -- to mention only a few.

And newcomers like themilum [who's really not so new] and drallie [who is really, really new]."

And what are you talking about? And who's "we"?

You win, dude. I'm off to our alternative board. Maybe when you get a job again and pipe down, we'll return. Have fun talking to yourself and dominating/monopolizing the newcomers to these forums, which were once interesting places to discuss language and maybe someday will be again..

Posted By: themilum Re: AWAD-tosh ? - 01/08/05 01:40 AM
You win, dude. I'm off to our alternative board.
Maybe when you get a job again and pipe down, we'll return.

Hey AnnaStrophic, don't go!
And I wonder, when you say "we" does that mean that you
are taking Faldage to your alternate board too?

Posted By: of troy where did you get that attitude? - 01/08/05 02:12 AM
Anna, your attitude!

Interesting thing attitude.. ever met an employee with a bad one? ever wonder why a company would hire someone with such a bad attitude?

WEll, the answer, short and sweet, is companies don't hire people with crappy attitudes.. they hire bright, outgoing, hardworking people.. and somehow over time, these people become lazy, sullen, and nasty.

a lot of them end up hating their jobs.. How did it happen?

how did they get an attitude? (how did you get yours Anna, or i mine?)

easy enough. take employee and treat them unfairly. make promises (and don't keep them) reward the lazy, punish the hard worker, be critical of the helpful employee.--eventually the hard worker learns laziness is rewarded, and becomes lazy, and good ideas are treated with contempt, and helpful behavior is not wanted or desired, and learns to cut it out. POOR MANAGEMENT CREATES a POOR ATTITUDE.

in social situation, (school, or clubs or whatnot) how do these organization live or die? --why do active clubs and organization last for years and then peter out and die? same way.
an organization exist with active members, who over time have reached a general consenous on behavior and norms.
things change, at members move in and out of the organization at will. games evolve, (and continue or die out) based on nothing but skill and interest.

THEN one person 'appoints' them self as a special. No reason, they just deside, I am special, everyone take note
it falls to 'reason' everything this person says should be treated with special honor.. when that doesn't happen, the appointed one complains about the clic--who disregard all 'GOOD' suggestions..(that is all his suggestions) the un-reasonable ones who are preventing things from being 'better'. he doesn't particapate in the games, (well not every one does) AND HE COMPLAINS THAT OTHERS DO!

the appointed one filabusters, and repeats all the good suggestions again and again, (In case we missed them the first time) and then details (oh my the detail!) all the benefits of his suggestions. (and loudly and repeated cries foul when his suggestions are not immediatly put into practice.)

as time passes, and they are still not adapted, he starts a letter writing campaign. and suddenly, there are all these other people who join in like a greek choirs to laud his ideas, and press for their adaption.--to bad these letters are all written by him, in praise of him, and sent by him, (under different names).

the result, is others tend to avoid speaking or interacting with the appointed one, -which he then uses as "PROOF" there is a conspiracy against him. --he is sure all his true supporters are being cohersed into complicity--it must be so! what other reason could exist for some many people dislikeing him?)

One by one the original members (the ones who are supposedly blocking all the good members and their good ideas from being implimented) stop being part of the group.

activity comes to a standstill--only one voice is heard.
the appointed one

Now the appointed one takes over and HE speaks in the imperial WE, and acts mystified that everyone doesn't fall at his feet and proclaim him god.

he is truly mystified that he is unliked.. AFTER ALL HE HAS ALL THE GOOD IDEAs (under lock and key)and besides, he has pointed out, how bad all the old members are for the organization.. he has proof positive they were a bad lot; they have ignored his ideas!

and he reigns in over his imaginary kingdom, proud of his success in vanquishing all.. the kindom is empty, all is gone.. success at last, only where are the adorning crowds?

gone.. gone gone..

stand in awe of his wisdom.. (no one there, no one there..)

Of course, HE hasn't driven anyone off.. every one is free to stay (and admire him, and all his handywork) and well if they leave, Oh, too bad..

too bad, max, too bad jheem, too bad now, to annastrophic.

too bad, too bad..TOO BAD ABOUT YOUR POOR ATTITUDE. You are not good for this place, your bad attitude makes that obvious! WHERE EVER DID YOU GET?

Posted By: plutarch skookum chuck + seny - 01/08/05 01:10 PM
proud of his success in vanquishing all

Only love vanquishes all, Of Troy.

I'm trying to love you.* In any case, I love your talent.

BTW I love "Skookum Chuck" [too].

See "Wooden Boat Festival Schedule 2005

The following is the current schedule for events for the Sunshine Coast Wooden Boat Festival June 30th through July 3rd 2005.

Arrival - June 30th
June 30th is the arrivals day, wooden boats will be arriving throughout the day with the main group proceeding through the Skookum Chuck Rapids in procession at 1100h."

http://www.ccga12.org/scows/schedule.php

And more:

"Skookum Chuck was used as a pseudonym for the author of Skookum Chuck Fables (Robert Dalziel Cumming, 1915), a collection of historical offerings that first appeared in the Ashcroft Journal."

http://www.abcbookworld.com/?state=view_author&author_id=6322

And there is a novel "Skookum Chuck" by Stewart Edward White, a prolific, but apparently not widely known[?] author of western adventures [52 titles]:

http://xmlwriter.net/books/search/3-Stewart%20Edward%20White.html

seny

BTW there is a word in the Catalan language which is very close to Father's Steve definition of "skookum". The word is "seny" and I came across it in an old issue of National Geographic ["Catalonia, Spain's Country within a Country", January 1984].

Senora Lourdes, the owner of a tiny paper shop in Plaza Molina, "the heart of Barcelona", the writer enthuses, explains "seny";

"Seny is a Catalan word. It describes a trait usual in Catalans. When persons have seny, they are proper; they know what they want, have good sense; some people think they are driven."

See how this compares with the definition of "skookum" which Father Steve gave us:

skookum: "wise or smart or clever or understanding"

* This reminds me of a little poem:
"If you have a thousand friends, you've not a friend to spare
And if you have one enemy, you'll meet him everywhere."

We seem to be bumping into one another everywhere we go, Of Troy. :) This can't be pleasant for other Board members and visitors. Let's be friends, OK. If we can't be friends, let's just "live and let live". That's what I'm going to do, Of Troy.

Monday, January 10th begins a new "Weekly Theme" with the word "grip".

Skookum some more with this Weekly Theme, or enjoy a change of scenery with the new Weekly Theme "people essential to the movie-making business". :)

© Wordsmith.org