Wordsmith.org
Posted By: gonoldothrond Idiom? - 12/10/04 06:51 PM
The other day I was thinking (never a good idea) and the phrase "I made the team" popped into my head. Now, we all know (I think) what that means, but try taking it literally: you actually created the team? I first thought you could "fix" it by saying "I made it onto the team." This is, I guess, a bit better, but you still ask, "Made what?" I know you can avoid the problem by saying something like "I was selected for the team," but I'd still love to hear any thoughts on this - I never thought I'd find an idiom (I think) in such a common and mundane phrase!

8-)
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Idiom? - 12/10/04 07:06 PM
there are a great number of senses for the verb to make; MWCD lists about 25, and here's one:
19 a : REACH, ATTAIN -- often used with it <you'll never make it that far>; also : SURVIVE <half the cubs won't make it through their first year> b : to gain the rank of <make major> c : to gain a place on or in <make the team> <the story made the papers>

Posted By: TEd Remington Re: Idiom? - 12/10/04 08:10 PM
Right up there with one of my favorites: He graduated high school. Whenever I see or hear that I picture a guy drawing lines an inch apart from the bottom to the top of the building.

I consider the phrase abominable English, just in case that didn't come across clearly.

© Wordsmith.org