Wordsmith.org
Posted By: antonxie ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 04:45 AM
I have got used to speak Chinese for three years now.
and there is this Chinese expression that I can't find a match in English, its a character made of a body(rou), injure(yi), and a shell (bei). Pronouced as ni.
here is a dictionary entry for it.
adj. (Simp=腻, Pinyin=ni4) greasy, oily, tired, meticulous
v. (Simp=腻, Pinyin=ni4) be bored

but I don't feel this translation is correct for the feeling I want to express...
It's a feeling that when you eat too much of greasy food, you can't take it anymore, because you are NI.

ax

Play Chinese Squabble at www.chinesesquabble.com
Posted By: plutarch Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 05:06 AM
you can't take it anymore, because you are NI

... because you are surfeited.

A-H: n. Overindulgence in food or drink.
The result of such overindulgence; satiety or disgust.

Posted By: antonxie Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 07:59 AM
cool...I just checked my random house...judging from the root of sur- = over- and -fait = to do,
can you also say, I am overdone?

ax

Play Chinese Squabble at www.chinesesquabble.com
Posted By: jheem Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 12:33 PM

Makes you sound like a steak that has been cooked too much.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 02:05 PM
crapulous - marked by overindulgence in food or drink; hence crapulousness, such a state

but this is probably too general a term :)

Posted By: Jackie Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 02:16 PM
jheem was right, anton. Overdone is not an adjective that applies to humans--except maybe among cannibals, she said as a lame joke. Use it as a verb, regarding humans: we overdo things.
Surfeit can apply to anything that there has been too much of, not just food. To my knowledge, we don't have words (adjectives) that apply to a particular kind of food, greasy or otherwise--to describe how we feel after eating them, I mean. We can be overfull (I use 'stuffed' fairly often, having picked up its usage from a friend) of pie or fish, etc., or feel sick from eating too much greasy food; but I can't think of any words we use that would automatically let others know what kind of food we had eaten to make us feel that way.

Posted By: of troy Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/08/04 02:34 PM
sated--or satiated comes to mind
but in the venacular, "I'm stuffed!" --but it tend to apply to any over eating (like after thanksgiving dinner)

the sick feeling-- might well be 'upset stomach'-- does any one remember "That's one greasy meatball!" commercail? what words were used to describe what the actor was feeling and how to make him feel better..

--bloatted--is currently being use in one commercial.. the feeling ones body is distended and blown up with food and gas..

Posted By: Faldage Re: ni, I don't know this word in english - 11/09/04 12:56 AM
Then, when one is sated one might be said to be logy.

Less formally, one might say, "I'm coffeed (or whatever, verbing a noun in the process) out.

© Wordsmith.org