Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 03:51 PM
from this blog entry:
Maintaining the Quality in Milwaukee
http://www.artsjournal.com/adaptistration/archives20041001.shtml#89583
Drew McManus uses the word, irrespirable. I have never heard this word, and would have used irreparable instead. here's the quote:

The management wants to make cuts in artistic issues which the players contend will cause irrespirable harm to their product. 

any thoughts? it just doesn't seem to quite fit for me.

Posted By: Jackie Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 03:58 PM
Well, it's a real word ( I just L'dIU) and it means what you thought. I too would have preferred irreparable, unless he was deliberately hearkening back to: But there’s a noticeable difference between players playing at their best in a positive environment and those that have to summon up sheer will time and time again to reach those artistic levels due to a negative environment. Though that's a stretch.

Posted By: drew_mcmanus Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:14 PM
Actually, it was just a typo I missed while proofing, the correction has already been published. Thanks for pointing it out and feel free to point out anything else you find. Feel free to send me a direct email with any errors you may find.

Posted By: Owlbow Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:17 PM
Some of the musicians may have feared a gag order, although if they didn't vent their feelings, cutbacks in the woodwind section would be inevitable and their voices would be smothered by the suffocating tactics of the bean counters.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:27 PM
Mr. McManus, welcome! that's a fast response.

ah, that my typos would be so eloquent...

Jackie, yeah, I had checked it at OneLook, hence the title.

off to find a way to use irrespirable in conversation...

and Owl, inhale...

Posted By: Jackie drew_mcmanus - 10/29/04 04:30 PM
Whoa--hello! No, no, no...you should have gone with, "Why, yes, I WAS hearkening back to the fact that it's hard to breathe in a negative atmosphere..."

Posted By: drew_mcmanus Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:35 PM
Actually, I'm a tuba player and I have had some unpleasant surprises inhaling before playing....

If you've ever been in a ballet or opera pit before you'll know what I mean. I recently received a note from an oboe player in San Diego telling me that their new opera hall ventilation system was allowing automobile exhaust and McDonalds fumes to waft in off of the street.

Posted By: Jackie Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:37 PM
automobile exhaust and McDonalds fumes to waft in off of the street. Eww.

Posted By: tsuwm using it in conversation - 10/29/04 04:42 PM
Many of our large cities have become irrespirable [unfit for respiration].

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: I can't breathe... - 10/29/04 04:47 PM
ballet or opera pit

sometimes it's just our fellow musicians. the pit can be pretty cozy...

and thanks, tsuwm.

Posted By: plutarch Re: I can't breathe... - 10/30/04 03:13 PM
Oboe player reports "their new opera hall ventilation system was allowing automobile exhaust and McDonalds"

Now he's breathing Carbon McOxide.

And the audience is breathing Oboe McOxide.

Posted By: Capfka Re: I can't breathe... - 10/31/04 07:47 PM
Twat!

Posted By: wsieber Re: I can't breathe... - 11/01/04 07:16 AM
McDonalds fumes to waft in off of the street. Recently I attended a public meeting where the latest technological projects of the local board of commerce were presented. On the program, an "apéritif" was scheduled after the meeting. Nearly from the start of the event, very alluring scents of grilled meat filled the auditorium. But when the last speaker finally ended and people hungrily hurried out - only dry snacks and mineral water/white wine were served. The scents had come from elsewhere.

Posted By: plutarch Re: I can't breathe... - 11/01/04 07:41 PM
The scents had come from elsewhere

An ingenious strategy to limit questions from the floor, no doubt.

© Wordsmith.org