Wordsmith.org
Posted By: Father Steve Live - 10/04/04 06:49 PM
KIRO News Radio announced this morning that they are ready for whatever is going to next happen at Mount Saint Helen because they have "three live reporters" on the scene of the volcano. Amazing. How did they figure out that dead reporters file very few stories?

I have noticed that television now offers coverage of events, after the fact, which are described as "taped live." How else might they have been recorded?

I'm heading off to the Right Coast tomorrow but I look forward to being edified by your reflections upon my return.

Posted By: Zed Re: Live - 10/04/04 07:00 PM
"I wouldn't be caught dead going to a live concert!"
Count Dracula

Posted By: Faldage Re: Live - 10/04/04 09:56 PM
described as "taped live." How else might they have been recorded?

Scripted, with retakes where the intial take didn't meet the desired criteria.

Caveat:

Taped live is not a guarantee that what you see is entirely what happened, only that nothing was redone. There still may be editing that removes some elements.

Posted By: clockworkchaos Re: Live - 10/05/04 01:07 PM
Similarly, I find the "all" in "all new episode" to be obvious.

Also, isn't it Helens?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Live - 10/05/04 01:18 PM
Saint Helens, yes. The Native Americans named it before George Vancouver did. They called it "Louwala-clough" which means "smoking mountain." They were onto something.

Posted By: Faldage Re: All new episode - 10/05/04 11:29 PM
I find the "all" in "all new episode" to be obvious.

Unless, of course, it contains some elements from a previous episode, flashbacks or introductory material to remind you of what happened last season.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: All new episode - 10/06/04 02:37 PM
Through the marvels of DVD technology, I now own a disk on which three of the original (1930's) Flash Gordon serials are compended. There are 13 or 15 episodes per each, having been shown weekly in movie theatres here in the Colonies to keep people coming back (and paying a whole DIME to get in). At the beginning of each "all new" episode, there is a recap of the most exciting scenes from the last "all new" episode, to bring the viewer up to the cliff-hanger, so it makes sense.

Posted By: Capfka Re: All new episode - 10/07/04 07:53 PM
Through the marvels of DVD technology, I now own a disk on which three of the original (1930's) Flash Gordon serials are compended.

Oh, I am sorry to hear that, Padre. Can you get your money back? What did you actually believe you were purchasing?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: All new episode - 10/07/04 08:42 PM
Eat you heart out, Gentle Capfka. You KNOW you are jealous of my acquisition. Now I can watch the hawkmen, the claymen, the sharkmen, and the lovely Dale Arden (who faints a lot) to my heart's content.

Posted By: Capfka Re: All new episode - 10/08/04 07:13 PM
Sorry, Padre. Even as a kid I found the special effects to be slightly on the unspecial side when I saw the episodes at the Mayfair Theatre matinees. Preferred the comics, me!

And, at that age, Dale Arden could have worn even less than she normally did and it wouldn't have excited my interest one iota. She was just that stupid woman who kept fainting!

Posted By: Father Steve Re: All new episode - 10/08/04 08:34 PM
For its time, Flash Gordon was state of the art, in terms of special effects. The producers spent more money on this serial than had been spent on any serial before. I especially like the part where the (balsa) rocket ships are taking off and, out the back, comes sparks, which arc downwards, and smoke, which drifts upwards, rather than swooshing all in one direction, as we moderns know the exhaust of rockets is supposed to do. And how about those claymen, who could meld into the walls of a cave such that you could not tell that they were there and then unstick themselves from the solid stone and grab you when you walked by? Scary stuff!! I alsolove it that the "fuel" for the "atom furnace" had to be shoveled into the gaping mouth of the reactor by means of coal shovels. How else?

Posted By: Capfka Re: All new episode - 10/08/04 09:54 PM
I also love it that the "fuel" for the "atom furnace" had to be shoveled into the gaping mouth of the reactor by means of coal shovels. How else?

You mean there's another way? Damn!

Posted By: Faldage Re: Live - 10/08/04 09:58 PM
they have "three live reporters" on the scene

Maybe this thread should have been in the "term of art" thread. A live reporter is one to whom the studio can go for a report on what is happening right now as opposed to one who was there an hour ago and who has supplied a tape that can be run in the studio.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 12:20 AM
The one who scrolls halfway down the page of this website ...

http://www.filmfax.com/features/pdf/buster_crabbe.pdf

...will be rewarded with both the film's idea of what the atom furnace room looked like and the comic book idea of the same. That's two ideas for the price of one click!

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 12:31 AM
I didn't try the link Padre, since it says its a PDF... is it really a webpage, or is that going to automagically download something to my computer?

Posted By: jheem Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 12:25 PM
automagically download something to my computer

Well, technically, web pages are downloaded to your computer, too. PDF is a file format that is displayed more like a print page than a webpage. It's rather standard on the web, though some usability experts say that it is a web abomination. Your browser either supports PDF as a plugin, in which case it will be displayed within a broswer window like a web page, or you would have to save it and open it using an application like Acrobat Reader.

I took a quick look at it, and it's obvious that it was an article published in a magazine, and its layout would have been difficult to reproduce in HTML, so they just posted it as a PDF.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 12:49 PM
yeah, good point. pdf's get downloaded to my hd, a webpage will get replaced in the cache, I don't have to deal with trashing it.
how big is it? I'm on dial-up... that really should have been my question from the get-go.

Posted By: Faldage Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 12:59 PM
Looks pretty big, just from an experimental semi-download. I'd say roughly five minutes based on counting in my head as it reached 10% with fairly good response time on dialup.

Posted By: jheem Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 01:21 PM
how large

It's 2,460,755 bytes.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: All new episode - 10/09/04 01:21 PM
thanks, Faldage.

and thanks, jheem!
Posted By: Father Steve automagically - 10/09/04 08:38 PM
automagically
I love that word!

Padre

Posted By: Capfka Re: automagically - 10/15/04 06:04 AM
Corse, us broadband weenies have no problems. Loved the atomic furnace room, Padre. It's just so ... um, think of a word. Buster Crabbe started life as a weightlifter, didn't he?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: automagically - 10/15/04 12:29 PM
Two-time Olympic freestyle swimmer: medalist with bronze in 1928 (1500m) and gold in '32 (400m).

Posted By: Capfka Re: automagically - 10/15/04 09:47 PM
Oh. I slouch corrected.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: automagically - 10/15/04 10:27 PM
Dear Capfka ~

Perhaps you could tread water corrected.

Padre

Posted By: raju Re: Live - 10/17/04 10:59 AM
Saint Helens, yes. The Native Americans named it before George Vancouver did. They called it "Louwala-clough" which means "smoking mountain." They were onto something.

Maybe by "Louwala-clough", the natives wanted to say - a mountain that "coughs lava".

© Wordsmith.org