Wordsmith.org
Posted By: AnnaStrophic Term of art - 10/01/04 05:01 PM
Father Steve used this expression in the Hands Up/Down forum just a day after Faldage used it at home IRL, then explaining it, because I'd never heard it before. Synchronicity? I think SO!

Am I the only one of us who didn't know the expression? Can y'all supply me with some more examples of terms of art?

Posted By: nancyk Re: Term of art - 10/01/04 07:41 PM
You're not alone, AnnaS; I had to Google it becuse I couldn't tell from context. Came up with this link from The Mavens' Word of the Day http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20011026 Cleared it up for me.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: Term of art - 10/01/04 08:39 PM
thanks, nancy. for a while there it was all chiascuritic on me...
Posted By: tsuwm Re: Term of art - 10/01/04 09:44 PM
I do miss The Mavens, and their progenitor, Jesse.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 01:07 AM
Oops. The truth is finally out. Faldage and I are separate lobes of the same brain. Just as the right brain differs from the left, so we differ on issues like prescriptivity and descriptivity, but we occasionally lapse and use the same word or phrase in such a way that it alerts the really careful reader that we are the same person, at least at the level of the Medula Oblongata.

Posted By: Wordwind Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 07:48 AM
The lobed ones aside, we discussed terms of art the first year I began posting here, AnnaS. I think I may have been the one looking for such a term, and one of the old dogs here provided it. I've been using it ever since--always watching carefully the face of the person to whom I am casually dropping the term to see whether he's showing any understanding. It is a very useful term in conversation, though I wonder seriously whether people at large understand it.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 08:10 AM
The problem is it doesn't sound like it should mean what it does mean. I would think that normal folks would think that a term of art would be something like gesso, gouache, or egg tempera.

Posted By: tsuwm Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 04:30 PM
>doesn't sound like it should mean what it does mean

we could use a term for terms like this; something such as 'begging terms'. : )

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 08:27 PM
we are the same person

Hmmm, Fr. Steve... there's more to this than meets the eye. Faldage strongly resembles the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 09:56 PM
Faldage strongly resembles the Archbishop of Canterbury.

More's the pity.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 10:14 PM
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 10:20 PM
Rowan Williams is a faithful man. He is a wise and intelligent man. He is a well-spoken man with a gift for research and writing. He has a well-known but well-disguised sense of humour. But nobody could successfully accuse him of being pretty ... which is, I think, beyond dispute.

Posted By: grapho Re: Term of art - 10/02/04 10:40 PM
But nobody could successfully accuse him of being pretty ... which is, I think, beyond dispute.

Said with tongue in cheek, no doubt, Father Steve.

As a judge you would know better than most that there are few matters "beyond dispute" which are "beyond dispute", and fewer still on matters of personal taste.

In any case, we have a unique opportunity to put your own personal judgment to an actual test by poll of all AWADians surveying this whiskered countenance which is reputed to "strongly resemble" our own Faldage.

http://www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/about/

Posted By: Father Steve Different Views; Same Archbishop - 10/02/04 10:58 PM
http://onenews.nzoom.com/onenews_detail/0,1227,229183-1-9,00.html

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/columnists/damnation/display.var.386196.0.stop_bashing_the_bishops.php

http://arc.episcopalchurch.org/episcopal-life/CL bear.html

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Term of art - 10/03/04 12:09 AM
...we discussed terms of art the first year I began posting here, AnnaS. I think I may have been the one looking for such a term, and one of the old dogs here provided it.

Thanks for the memory, WW. Mine lapses in my peri-dotage.

Posted By: grapho Re: Term of art - 10/03/04 12:28 AM
Mine lapses in my peri-dotage

That's a good one for my demi thread, ASp. Thanks.

demi-dotage

It goes along with demi-retirement.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/07/04 08:03 PM
But can he survive as AB of C, Padre? I have no doubt that he's a bright cookie, but is he really politically astute enough to surmount the slings and arrows of outrageous (Church) fortune? Most of the publicity over here in Pommyland tends to be negative, which is probably unfortunate.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/07/04 08:47 PM
Methinks +Rowan must be deranged -- or a little bit so -- as no man in his right mind would have accepted the throne of Augustine in England at this time in the history of the church.

Posted By: Faldage Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/07/04 10:30 PM
must be deranged

Well, if he's anything like me …

Posted By: Jackie Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/08/04 12:32 PM
Well, if he's anything like me … Well, the dude IS named after a tree, so...

Posted By: Capfka Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/08/04 07:04 PM
Yes, Padre, I agree that Canterbury must be just a tad off his rocker under the circumstances. I don't know why the Archibishop of York always looks like the cat that got the canary when you see him. He's always smiling (on the TV) as if he knows something that you and I don't. Well, maybe he does. I cast about for a simile for a while, and decided that his expression is often just like La Giaconda's.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/08/04 08:36 PM
York has the best job in the church. He, too, like +Rowan, is an archbishop but without the projection that he ought act like some sort of Anglican pope at the summit of a pyramid of authority, which does not exist. Well might my Lord York be smiling.

Posted By: Capfka Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/08/04 10:05 PM
Perzackly! Canterbury looks more like a hermit who was dressed up in the clobber and had the crozier thrust into his unready and unsuspecting hand. George Carey was perhaps more my idea of the urbane, yet pious, AB of C. Not drawing invidious comparisons here - I don't know how well Carey performed. He just "looked the part". Poor Rowan Williams always looks bewildered, although I'm sure he's not!

Incidentally, you may not know it, but Penny Jamieson, the first female bishop in New Zealand (Otago) recently retired. I met her on a number of occasions, and despite my lack of immediate interest, I quite liked her. She seemed very genuine. She is much missed by the Anglican community of which my aunt is an enduring stalwart and town crier. This is the same Anglican community of which a large proportion was predicting the end of life as we know it when she was appointed, of course. One thing I do know is that she wouldn't have been sitting in the Bishop's House in Clairmont Street drinking herself nearly insensible with the Dean of St Paul's Cathedral between dinner and evensong - like one of her more notorious predecessors.

Posted By: AnnaStrophic Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/08/04 10:38 PM
Jackie: Well, the dude IS named after a tree, so...

Or either the Drude, one.

~~~~
F. Steve, what is the + you put before Rowan's name?

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Rowan Williams ... - 10/09/04 12:08 AM
what is the + you put before Rowan's name?

It is the tradition of several branches of the church to identify a priest by adding an equilateral upright cross after the priest's name and to identify a bishop (including archbishops) by adding a similar cross before the bishop's name. This is sometimes (humourously) voiced as "Plus Jack" or "Plus Fred." There is no authority for placing two such crosses before the name of an archbishop but one occasionally sees +Rowan's name written as ++Rowan, which is silly, but perhaps no sillier than the whole of the rest of this business.

Stephen+

© Wordsmith.org