Wordsmith.org
Posted By: beausmiley Quote - 09/08/04 11:55 AM
Wondering if anyone knows the origin/how the quote came to be "When the shit hits the fan"

Posted By: belMarduk Re: Quote - 09/08/04 01:25 PM
Welcome beausmiley. I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone here will come up with something.

Posted By: Jackie Re: Quote - 09/08/04 02:06 PM
Welcome to you...oh NO, I was going to put a couple of letters as a short version of your name, and then I remembered your topic!! Speaking of blushing, we've gotten in the habit here of using asterisks to replace some of the letters in a word that we are offended by or are concerned might offend others; for ex., s**t.

Anyway, I think I'll copy to you what I just wrote for our other newcomer (since I don't know the origin myself, that is): Why don't you try going to Information and Announcements and looking in Max's Useful Language Links? I'm sure there are some word and phrase origin sites listed there.

Posted By: Jomama Re: Quote - 09/08/04 03:12 PM
And there's the more acceptable variant, "when the egg"....

Posted By: Owlbow Who's Jo Mama? - 09/08/04 04:12 PM
If you stick your finger in the fan, do you end up with egg on your face?
BTW Jomama, there was a bluesy group with (almost, Jo Mama) the same name fronted by guitar player, Danny Kortchmar in 1970-71. He played on early James Taylor albums among other credits.

Posted By: Father Steve Here's a hint - 09/08/04 05:06 PM
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/17/messages/683.html

Posted By: Jomama Re: Who's Jo Mama? - 09/09/04 05:14 AM
Thanks for the neat info, Owlbow, don't remember the group but I do like blues! There was also a dj in Miami, Joe Mama, who created a bit of a flap a few years back by announcing a Thanksgiving turkey giveaway. He proposed to toss live turkeys from a helicopter to his fans. He was going to buy the turkeys frm a Mr. Gobble, reportedly the real name of a poultry farmer in the area.
NO, it didn't happen. Safety and humane concerns prevailed.

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: where's Herb Tarlek? - 09/09/04 09:17 AM
toss live turkeys from a helicopter

wasn't that Les Nessman?

Posted By: Jomama Re: where's Herb Tarlek? - 09/10/04 04:22 AM
Yes, I'm sure Joe Mama was inspired by that crazy episode from WKRP. Les Nesman's plan was completed, in fiction:
his imitator's, foiled in fact.

Posted By: Father Steve WKRP Turkey Drop - 09/10/04 05:08 PM
http://radio.about.com/library/blwkrpturkey.htm

Posted By: beausmiley Re: Quote - 09/11/04 11:14 AM
Thank you for your help.

Posted By: Father Steve Re: Quote - 09/11/04 07:50 PM
Dear Smiles ~

Our pleasure -- 'tho we did veer off topic, as we are so painfully and frequently wont to do. Got any other interesting questions?

The Old Padre

© Wordsmith.org