Wordsmith.org
Posted By: johnjohn photomicrograph - 09/02/04 12:17 AM
...or microphotograph? Is one a photo from a microscope image and the other a very small photograph? What does the team think?

jj

Posted By: Buffalo Shrdlu Re: photomicrograph - 09/02/04 12:38 AM
yes.

I think you've got it right. that's how I would interpret it, anyway...

Posted By: Father Steve Re: photomicrograph - 09/02/04 03:07 AM
My brainy former brother-in-law, who knows about things scientific, says that a photomicrograph is always taken through (or with the aid of) a microscope.

Posted By: wsieber Re: photomicrograph - 09/02/04 05:04 AM
former brother-in-law - come to think of it, despite its length, this expression is under-determined, and in view of nowaday's widespread "patchwork families", language has some catching-up to do.

Posted By: Shellb Re: photomicrograph - 09/02/04 05:36 AM
I would assume that a microphotograph would be a very small photo and a photomicrograph would be taken through a microscope. But then again i'm no scientist (and that's probably a good thing)

Posted By: Faldage Re: former brother-in-law - 09/02/04 10:03 AM
this expression is under-determined

Meaning that who was once a brother-in-law could now be a sister-in-law?

Posted By: Wordwind Re: photomicrograph - 09/02/04 08:07 PM
And, Shelb, if a microphotograph is a very small photo and a photomicrograph is taken through a microscope, then a microphotophotomicrograph would be a very small photograph taken through a microscope! :) :)

Posted By: sjmaxq Re: catching up with families - 09/02/04 08:19 PM
> and in view of nowaday's widespread "patchwork families", language has some catching-up to do

Recently, I was disappointed to learn that Hindi is going the other way. Despite having different words for aunt and uncle, to distinguish between biological and marriage-related versions, all the Hindi speakers I associate with simply use "aunt" and "uncle".

Posted By: Father Steve Re: former brother-in-law - 09/03/04 04:30 AM
H marries W1.
W1 had a brother B1.
B1 becomes H's brother in law.
W1 dies.
H marries W2.
W2 has a brother B2 who is now entitled to be called brother in law.
In some sense B1, is still a brother in law but not in the same sense that B2 is. Hence, "former brother in law".

Any better way to say it?

Posted By: wsieber Re: former brother-in-law - 09/03/04 05:37 AM
Any better way to say it? No, this is just what I was "deploring"... but as long as no divorces are involved, things are relatively simple.

Posted By: belMarduk Re: former brother-in-law - 09/03/04 12:28 PM
I don't know if it is the same for everybody but when referring to the relatives of my ex husband (a folly of youth) I usually say "the sister of my ex" or "my ex's mom." This leaves no room for ambiguity.

Posted By: grapho team think - 09/03/04 12:34 PM
Team Think.

That's a good one. JohnJohn.

Wish'd I thought of it.

Posted By: musick Re: former brother-in-law - 09/04/04 02:44 PM
"...but as long as no divorces are involved, things are relatively simple."

I'd think *things get 'relatively' simpler once the divorce is finalized.

© Wordsmith.org